Thursday 30 December 2010

Work Light - milwaukee, cordless tools


I love this little light, but the bulb technology gets way hot. Once while working under a dashboard with it, I put the back of my arm into the front of the light. Youch!



Also, the battery is on par with conventional flashlights but I'm used to LED performance now. Something this size would do better as an LED rather than Xenon.



But overall, I recommend it if you already have the battery system. Milwaukee 49-24-0145 12-Volt Worklight

I have had this flashlight for about 2 weeks now and overall I am pleased with its performance. The light is bright and light built qood and a great price. The magnet on the the flashlight needs major improvment. It will hold the light in a vertical position with the light end being on top. Sometimes when Im working I need to put the light in a horizontal postion or upside down. The magnet just isn't strong enough to support any other position beacause of the weight of the battery. The battery isn't heavy the magnet is either to weak or to small. If the unit had 2 magnets it would work much better. Another thing about the magnet you will press it every time you need to press the power button. It is in the exact place you would expect the power button to be. It gets annoying. Another issue I have found is when the battery dies it dies fast less than 1 minute. What I mean is when your using the light the brightness doesn't give indication of the strenght of the battery until the final minute. One minutes the light is bright the next minute its dead. This is only a $20.00 flash light thats why I gave it 4 stars instead of 3 stars. If it was any more expensive I wouldn't recomend buying this light. Milwaukee makes quality products they could have just put a little more thought into this flashlight.

I have this light and the LED version. The LED version is 1000 times better and last longer and doesn't get as hot and has brighter light and better light pattern. And....GET THE LED VERSION!!--It's more than this one but worth the extra cost. Also I read a review of the LED upgrade for this light and the reviewer was very disappointed-so if you were thinking of getting this and upgrading or upgrading yours, I don't recommend it. The magnet in the LED version seems a little stronger, but what I did is grind out an area about 1/8" deep and the diameter of a Neodymium magnet and epoxied it to the flashlight and it holds way better. HTH

A handy, sturdy light to have around. I purchased this work light as a companion to my Milwaukee 12 volt lithium drill which came in a case which can accomodate this light. The light is accurate and uses a 12 volt lithium battery which will give this little fella a long run time. The light is handy and bright and the head rotates up and down. It has a magnet on one side as stated. This is a good buy for your tool kit if you own a 12 volt milwaukee tool with an extra battery. It would have been better if it were a LED. It is well built

The best part about this flashlight is that it has a very usable beam pattern. It has a wide spot broadening out to a flood with a very usable spill beam. This makes it good for working in close quarters. Many other flashlights have a very narrow spot light which may impress you with its intensity, but overall is poor because you are not using this type of flashlight in a search-and-rescue. It is for broad illumination in an electric box, under a dashboard, under a sink, etc. Without a good beam pattern, you are constantly having to adjust the aim. For beam pattern, I give it 4 stars.



As others have noted, the magnet is nearly useless. It only works in a vertical position and is too often confused with the power switch. In using the magnet once, it fell giving a good crash to the floor. I bet it won't survive too many of those.



The head pivots from 90 degrees horizontal to vertical. This is vastly better than popular "mag" flashlights that only point in one direction. This one will stand on end and can be aimed. The base of the standard battery is small, so it is easily tipped. Milwaukee makes an M12 XC battery with twice the capacity which makes this flashlight much more stable, but unfortunately Amazon doesn't carry this battery yet. (The XC is a great battery.) There are, however, many other competing work lights which have the ability to aim down. This is very useful for shining light down into something. This one won't do that.



My main reason for giving this only 3 stars, though, is as follows. Milwaukee puts a 14.4V bulb in this. It says to use only 12V bulb 49-81-0020, but alas, this is a 14.4V bulb. The impact of this is significant as the light is a dim, yellow beam, perhaps only 50% as bright as if it was a 12V XPR bulb in there. Electrically, it is only drawing only 69% of what it would at 14.4V, but maybe this is to cut down on heat. Because of the lower voltage, however, more of that 69% is just going to heat. I may try to salvage this a star by putting in a 12V bulb from DeWalt. But, I shouldn't have to. Note that Milwaukee does not sell a 12V in any of their line.



I also have their M12 LED light, and while having the same magnet flaws, etc., the beam is much better, probably the best I have seen in a small flash light/work light.

I bought this light about a year ago from homedepot. I am extreamly happy with this flash light. Its has taken plenty of spills off of 8ft ladders and still works. Very durable,Vesitile and cost affective. If you already have some of the M12 tools I would highly recomend adding this one to your collection. The only thing I have every had to do with this flash light is change the bulb once and change the batties when they lose there charge. after about a year of serive used almost everyday Im not going to complain. Very bright light and the maget is awesome. and I also like that you can move the head of the flash light 180 and while sitting on the base it wont tip over. I work as a maintance tech so I never know what the next day will bring. Glad to have it. - Milwaukee - Work Lights - Cordless Tools - Lithium'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information