Monday 31 January 2011

Camping Stoves - camp stoves, accessories


I bought this item with a Coleman camping stove, which has turned out to be excellent (the stove). Regardless of whether you extend this stand fully or peg the legs in place IT IS NOT SAFE. The liklihood that your stove will fall through this stand is extremely high. I spent a long time experimenting with it before being forced to return it and buy a table. On the package another suggested use is as a stand for suspending a rubbish bag. If that is all that it can be used for, it's not worth the cash. A redesign is needed. Coleman High Stand for use with Coleman 2 or 3 Burner Stoves or a Chest Cooler

This telescopes out and two long hinges flip over and lock in place. It weighs next to nothing. It's quite useful, it's no fun to cook on the ground. I never had any issue with this stand not supporting my camp stove. There's no way it will collapse. Just use common sense and it will do what it's designed to do.

We own two of these stove stands, and we are considering a third as an addition, not a replacement. We purchased the stands 8 to 10 years ago, and have used them several times each year. They are none the worse for wear. We put our 2-burner camp stove on one stand and the ice chest on a second one. Based on the design of our current stove, we must carefully gauge the proper width of the stand for the stove, but once it is set up, it is perfect. The feet of the stand have holes for staking the stand in conditions where you might feel a need to do so, such as when set up on uneven terrain, or if you anticipate people or pets might be inclined to bump into it. Overall, we find the stands to be very stable. I like this design over a camp "kitchen" because it allows me the flexibility of setting up each component individually, based on the characteristics of the camp site. This stand cannot be beat for portability: lightweight and extremely compact when collapsed. Sometimes we place a board over the top of the stand to make a portable table for preparation, dishwashing, or to support a small grill.



As for price, we paid $20 for the original purchase, and the current price is not that much more; I consider the Coleman High Stand an excellent value.

Let me begin by saying that I purchased this stand for tailgating and not camping. Before I even knew this item existed I was looking to purchase an additional portable table because I had been using one of those portable tables that roll up into a bag to support my Coleman grill. Those tables can easily run $40 to $50 so when I saw this item for about $20 I gave it a shot. The stand works, but the design could have been better. The main problem is that there is no locking mechanism in place to prevent the side legs from "butterfly-ing out to the sides". The premise is that the weight of the item on top will prevent this from happening. To be on the safe side I bought Velcro tape for $5 and placed strips under the handles of the grill and on the stand itself to create my own "locking mechanism". I have only used the stand once, but the velcro trick worked and I was able to use my roll up table for other things.

I think this product is priced too high based on it's quality (I paid $32, I think it's worth about $20). The stand is very shaky and it really needs to be staked down when used. Also if you use the stand to place a camp stove on it you need to secure the stove to the stand with velcro straps. The good news is that it is very light, compact and easy to use. The height is just right as well.

This stand should work well with any size camp stove. Other reviews say the stand is too big and their stove nearly drops through to the ground. But a quick look at the box reminds you that it is "adjustable". In other words, if the fully extended stand is too big from left to right, then set it up for the correct size for your stove. You still need to use the support bars to set the stove on. This means it is always fully extended from front to back, but left to right is what you need to adjust to fit your stove. That's what we do and it is perfectly stable and is a great accessory. Very light and quick to set up. Glad we own one.

I too found this product very unsafe. Just the slightest bump or nudge, like attaching the propane bottle and the stove was falling through the middle. Not the best thing to have happen when you're trying to cook. I guess I could glue on some velcro strips, like one of the other writers, but I shouldn't have to.

Instead, I did convert it into a trash bag holder. I got it on a year end close out so the sting of an expensive trash holder isn't too bad.

When I first saw this stand online I thought "PERFECT! Now I can free up space on my folding table!" I went and checked my stove...yup, its a Coleman too, so this should be perfect!



The UPS man dropped it off and I was excited to give it a shot. The first thing that hit me was that it didn't have a sleeve to hold it or any clips/straps to hold it closed. No problem, got out the Velcro One-Wrap (love the stuff) and made two straps to keep it closed. Even so, it rattled a little in the car as I drove to the campsite.



It is finished in brown anodizing and I can see where the parts were turret-punched, not machined, and where they were left mill-finished before getting anodized. I can understand, at this price point that's what you get and the anodizing should keep the aluminum supports from corroding for a long time.



At camp, it was a real disappointment. I set it up correctly but it was still really flexible and unstable unless on perfectly flat ground. It has rubber non-slip strips on the top support beams which didn't even make contact with my NEW (and supposedly compatible) Coleman 2-burner stove. Come on guys! Can't even make a stand that is compatible with your own stove? I wound up knocking it over while cooking which was just embarrassing. I folded it up and put it in the truck and I'll probably wind up giving it to Goodwill because honestly it did nothing for me.



This product could be improved, and I could modify it to fit my stove well and modify it to be more stable, but I'm not sure it is worth it. It should have worked well in the first place without me tinkering with it. For now, the stove will live on the table. - Other - Camping Stove - Camp Stoves - Accessories'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information