Sunday 30 January 2011

Cordless Telephones - cordless phone, att


We got this phone specifically because we needed an expandable system that didn't have an answering machine. Voice mail is included in our phone company bundle, so we were unwilling to pay the extra cost for an answering machine. This phone is very easy to work with, very intuitive both in terms of operation and menu access. The phone feel very solid, though we've only had it for two weeks now. But after trying V-Tech, GE and UNIDEN, this seems to be the most physically resilient of them all.



But the #1 feature of this phone - the clarity. With both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz phones, we had a lot of interference and a lot of static. With this phone, I can walk to any part of the house - even a few houses down, and still hear just as well as if I were talking on a wired phone.



I can recommend this system whole-heartedly - ignore the 3-star review of this product, as it specifically states the reason for the 3 stars is the lack of an answering system. As mentioned above, that's the very reason I bought this phone. AT&T makes another model WITH and answering system, so if that's what you need, get that one. But if, like me, you have no use for it, you will be very happy with this phone. AT&T DECT 6.0 Black/Silver Digital Dual Handset Cordless Telephone (CL81209)

We've had the phone about a month, having chosen it after reading reviews here and on [...]. I'm pleased, as sound quality and range are vastly better than older phones. Haven't run out of battery yet, but we keep it in the cradle. Another plus: despite the large buttons, this thing actually looks pretty good in a room. One minus: the thin shape makes it extremely hard to cradle between your neck and shoulder; you really need to keep this in your hand, especially as there's no jack for a headset. But, hey, it's fifty bucks for two phones (maybe cheaper by the time you read this), and they they work. No complaining.

After having the phone for less the 90 days, one of the two handsets quit working. There was not anything on the phone, not a battery indicator, not a time, not a date, and not a backlight. Receiving it for a Christmas present I did not have a receipt, but filled out the warranty online to ensure warranty service.



Calling AT&T to see about a replacement under warranty they proceeded to do some troubleshooting, steps I had already taken, and the result was the same nothing on the phone. When asked when a replacement was going to be sent out, they said that a receipt was needed. After explaining how I never received a receipt they said they would not be able to send out a replacement handset. They did have the registration of the product, but that was not going to cover the warranty.



In the past there have been issues with other products from other companies, missing game pieces, parts broken on an item, non-working products, stripped screws, etc., and each and every company immediately apologized and sent out a replacement. In every case the company did not even require the old one, which I would have been happy to send back.



When attempting to take it to the store where it was purchased, the store proceeded to inform me that AT&T is the worst company for returns. They said that AT&T is very particular when it comes to a receipt, and will not stand by their products.



In my opinion AT&T is not a company that cares about products, service, or its customers. It cares only about company policy.

The system was great for 16 months; but last week, the base unit ceased to recharge the phone on its cradle.



As a short-term solution, I ordered a new handset, figuring to use the new phone in place of the one on the base unit. Today, I discovered that the BASE UNIT is no longer usable...so I had to reorder the whole set again...after spending $15 on a new handset last week.



The price to try to fix the problem plus having to order the whole new set today...about $61...hardly worth spending over $100 in 16 months for the same set of phones.

Let me preface this by saying I hardly use my home phone, but I did port my home phone number over to a VoIP service for occasional use. My old cordless phones weren't holding a charge anymore so I picked up a Panasonic KX-TG9333 for a good price and was impressed with its feature set. Well - I had constant problems with it losing its connection to the base. Apparently I'm not the only one with that problem as it is WIDELY documented. I promptly returned it.



That led me on a hunt to find a good replacement. This AT&T DECT 6.0 set was consistently rated very highly by all reviewers on Amazon so I figured they had to be right - and they were!



Pros:

- EXCELLENT sound quality, the best I've had on a cordless phone

- Clear LCD, with battery and time indicators

- Phonebook links up with the caller ID to display "Mom Cell" if you have her number stored, rather than "Wireless Caller" and her number

- Volume is very good, and does not get distorted at higher volumes

- Easy to use

- Voicemail waiting indicator light on base, and a visual notification on the LCD on the handsets

- Decent battery life (a proprietary Ni-Mh battery, rather than the older and obselete Ni-Cd battery pack)



Cons:

- The LED on the handsets only light up when they charge, they don't notify you of voicemail

- No headset jack



That's about it. I have to stress that sound quality is VERY VERY GOOD, and I'm on a VoIP line, if you're on a traditional landline it would be even better! I couldn't be happier with my purchase. This was exactly what I was looking for. Like I said, I don't use my house phone very often but when I do I want it to sound good and work well.. This is exactly what this AT&T set does.



I don't think I've ever had an AT&T cordless phone set (and I've had many) but believe me, if they keep making 'em like this, my next one will be AT&T too! - Cordless Telephones - Cordless Phone - Att - Cordless Telephone'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information