Monday 31 January 2011

Dual Layer Lightscribe - dual layer dvd, dvd dual layer


I'm not sure what the previous reviewer's problems were, but I've burnt about 20 of these discs so far with no problems at all. I have used CloneCD and Nero for Windows, Toast for the Mac. All have played flawlessly in my disc players.



As I mentioned in the title, it is a bit overpriced. You could get about double these discs for the same price without the Lightscribe feature. But for those that prefer laser designs over black markers for their discs, then this is a great option for dual-layer. Verbatim 96689 8.5 GB 8x LightScribe Double-Layer Recordable Disc DVD+R DL, 10-Disc Spindle

Other than the price, these discs work great. I don't understand the issues some are having. I have durned all 10 discs with no problem. I use ConvertXToDVD 4 and have the settings set to DVD9 and it burns like a charm.





For those having issues:



Make sure you change your settings in your program. If they're set to DVD5 it may not burn correctly.



Make sure your drive is DL compatible. Not all drives are.

Discs worked perfect for my burning needs with no coasters. Lightscribe side burns as well as any other LS disc out there (depending on your burner and software). Used these discs with a Lite-On burner and Nero software. Have gone through 20 discs so far and more to go.

I don't mind paying a little extra for quality products. I discovered, after many hundreds of dollars in cheap media, that cheap media end up costing more at the end. I lost track of the many dead DVDs and CDs I trashed over the years or the hundreds of hours I spent to create a DVD or CD duds. Verbatim is little overpriced for my taste, but I'm yet to burn a dud due to media quality.

I own a Lite-On lightscribe DVD burner. I bought these lightscribe DVD DLs along with some regular (Memorex) DVD+R DLs. The Memorex DVDs work fine, but the lightscribe DVDs are not recognized by my drive. This problem has been reported by a couple of other reviewers as well. Even if you have a drive that burns DVD+R DL disks, it may not work with these ones. I have no idea why. The specifications for these disks and the Memorex disks appear to be identical (DVD+R DL 8x).

I use these DL DVDs when I need to burn a longer movie project that I have been working on to DVD at full bit rate. Adobe Premiere Elements will adjust the bit rate down to make the movie fit on the media that it is given. Some work needs the full bit rate to retain resolution. It is a shame that I can only buy the DVD DL LightScribe disks in a 10 count pack. I'd like to buy a stack of 50.

DVD's worked well and I love the Lightscribe, but wish they were available in colors like the CD's. Haven't been able to find any other colors. The gold color is rather bland. The titles when burned into the DVD's are readable but could be darker. Not sure if that's the DVD or the burner. Other than that the product worked great.

The Lightscribe labels are a nice touch. But the image is not that great, and probably not worth the added cost.

Dual layer is great. More on the disc, or don't haved to compress (and lose quality).

Only bought one 10-pack, and burned 6 discs so far. But have had no bad ones.

I think only Verbatim makes the D/L + LightScribe discs, currently, and only offers them in this 10-pack. (or maybe I saw a 3-pack also??) - Verbatim - Lightscribe - Dvd Dual Layer - Dual Layer Dvd'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information