Sunday 30 January 2011

Ugly-stik - ugly-stik


I am lucky to live in hawaii where the fishing is awesome. I decided to start kayak fishing about a year and a half ago to get to the bigger fish. Well the fish are a lot bigger than I thought they would be so I upgraded from my trusty 8" Ugly Stik to this Ugly Stik Tiger. I am very glad I did. This weekend I put it to the test when I hooked into a 20.5 lb Ulua (giant trevally)! The action of the pole was perfect. I matched it to a Penn 850 ssm with 30lbs test and it is the perfect combo for inshore trolling. I highly recommend this for any angler who needs the sensitivity and strength to land the big ones. I will never fish with anything else. Shakespeare Two-Piece Medium Action Ugly Stik Spinning Rod, 7-Feet

I have several of these rods in various lengths and strengths. From the little 4'6" ultra lite that I keep in the truck to the 9' medium action for river fishing, they all perform incredibly. Plenty of backbone to set the hook and fight big fish and all with a sensitive tip for the most picky bites. For the price, you can get more rods instead of having one "do-it-all". Mine are paired up with Pfleugger president reels (sizes match the rods). My oldest one is 8-9 years and the newest one was this spring; 5 in all. I even give these as gifts to friends and my son has taught his friends to fish and they bought Ugly stix. You really can't go wrong. My truck rod even had a duffel bag of DeWalt screwguns sit on it for almost a week with no affects to it at all. When I first saw it bent over I thought it was a goner. My oldest and favorite rod.

What a great rod. An all-around great value. It's practically unbreakable, plus the 7 foot length allows me to cast farther with lighter baits. I had an 80 lb. sturgeon on my other rod and had no problems other than my reel fell apart before I could get it in the boat. I highly recommend these rods!

The rod was portable, and had good action. I expected it to last for years. After three months, I noticed a crack on the tip top ring, then the round bearing ring separated from the metal ring. Perhaps it was because something heavy landed on it, or I might have collided it with something, or it was a defective rod. I went to the local fishing tackle store and put a new tip top on, and it has been working like a charm.

I mistakenly left my fishing rod and reel at a campsite in Colorado. Since I live more than 1,000 miles away I asked the campground keepers to donate the equipment to a local youth group, and I proceeded to look for another rod and reel.



This time I came up with the Shakespeare UGLY STICK, 7' medium. I paired it with a Pflueger President XT Spinning Reel and found them to be a great match.



I am no "expert" so I really cannot comment much on the differences (if there are any) in the "pro" rods as compared to the "economy" sticks. I easily rate this rod 5 stars because it does all I expect from it, and then breaks down into two pieces for transportation and storage. I couldn't be happier, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg, either.

BECAUSE I DID LIKE THE ROD I GOT IN THE MAIL I GIVE IT HIGH STAR RATINGS..BUT BEWARE...THE ROD IN THE PIC IS NOT WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE

IT IS INDEED AN UGLY STICK THE DIFFERENCE IS THE HANDLES ARE NOT AS DEPICTED........AND THE HANDLE IS WHAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION WITH THIS UGLY STICK.....SO BEWARE THE ROD ON THE PIC IS NOT WHAT YOU WILL GET.....ALL SPECS MATCH BUT THE HANDLE IS THE DIFFERENCE WHICH SORTA KINDA BOTHERED ME BUT I STILL LIKE WHAT I GOT..... - Ugly-stik'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information