Sunday 30 January 2011

Lens Accessories - canon, 50mm


I would suggest anyone who is considering purchasing this hood to strongly reconsider. A rubberized collapsible hood is the way to go.



While the 50mm f/1.8 is an exceptionally affordable lens and produces great photos, it has substantial weak points due to its plastic construction that prevent the use of a lens hood. The lens hood is very susceptible to sideways knocks which are exacerbated when the lens hood is attached. I bumped mine and as most people found, the front element dropped off. The interior of the lens is held together by four plastic clips. One or more of the tabs will be broken and while it is possible to re-attach it, the lens will be wobbly or have a much grittier auto-focus noise.



So, buyers beware: The increased leverage on the front element produced by this lens hood will break apart the lens upon a sideways impact especially when the front element is extended. Fotodiox Dedicated Lens Hood, for Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens as Canon ES-62

I read the reviews on the Canon ES-2 lens hood for the Canon EF 50mm lens. Some reviewers commented on it being a 2 part hood and having difficulty with the clips. So I ordered the Fotodiox instead and am glad I did. It simply screws on to the lens like screwing on a filter, easy on and easy off. I use a 52mm UV protective filter over my 50mm lens and the hood screws on to it perfectly. The Canon lens cap also fits over the lens with the hood on, so I can store my lens with the hood attached. The lens cap actually expands to the sides of the hood instead of going over the lens, but it works and stays in place. The Fotodiox hood is plastic but seems to be well made and serves the purpose of blocking light from the sides. Overall, an excellent product.

I purchased this hood thinking it was an identical-functioning replica of Canon's official 50mm hood. While it functions well and is a great deal for a much lower price (than Canon's), please be aware that you cannot easily "unsnap" it from your lens/filter; it needs to be screwed on or off. That being the case, you also cannot apply your lens cap without unscrewing this hood and removing completely (kind of a pain). Nor can you fit this hood on backwards; like you can with Canon's hood, in order to fit your camera into a tight case or compartment.



But again, for 1/3 the price of Canon's, it's still a great deal.

I went with this lens hood for its significant lower price than the Canon one. It screws onto my Tiffen UV filter perfectly and I find that I have plenty of room to access the manual focus ring. However, it looses one star because I can not securely attach my lens cover. It kind of sits on a small ledge in the lens hood and will stay in place with no jostling what-so-ever, but it does not "snap" on as it does to the UV filter or the lens it's self. If this lens was a more expensive lens, I'd probably send the hood back, but it will do for a $100 lens. (Canon hood 1/4 of the price of the lens???? They've got to be kidding)

I received the Fotodiox Dedicated Lens Hood, for Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens as Canon ES-62 today (March 23, 2011).

Installed directly on top of the Tiffen lens filter, the fit & finished are outstanding with a fractional cost

when compare to the original Canon ES-62 that is cost much more.



I also be able to use the original Canon lens cap that provided with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens,

the lens cap is seated inside of the lens hood's bottom rim perfectly!



For the cost, finished and perfect fit it is an excellent product. Highly recommended!

Got it quickly from seller that I can say I was pleased. But the hood lasted 1 hour.. THATS IT!!!! The screw in part was no good it doesn't lock and I wouldn't recommend anyone buying it. I am careful person when it comes to using my camera, and very dissappointed in the quality of this product. Never going to use it again because it can't lock in or be used for anything else.. - Lens Accessories - Canon Lens - Canon - 50mm'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information