Sunday 30 January 2011

Sport Radio - walkman, sony walkman


I was looking forward to recieving this to use while working out at the fitness club. I got it but it was bulkier than I thought it would be. The volume control knob continues to come off. It uses up the single AAA battery very quickly. The controls are far more complex than they need to be and the reception is very poor. Sony has built much better smaller units in the past and should produce a high quality one instead of this unit. Sony S2 Sports Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/AM/FM Stereo Armband Radio (White)

So far I am very happy with this product. I have never used any kind of headset before. I am 67 and this is my first Walkman. I was forced to look for something of this kind when a neighbor installed an obnoxious wind chime that sounds off all day long near my back yard. I was looking for something I could wear and listen to while doing yard work. I find the armband radio to be amazingly comfortable, the radio reception is great, and the earpieces are comfortable for hours. I listen to KIXI 880 AM, or the Mariner games on KOMO 1000 AM. I can easily turn the volume high enough to drown out the discordant wind chimes. My only problem with it was a "newbie" mistake -- I put the earpieces on backwards and then wondered why I was not getting any sound out of the left side! I think this Walkman is the answer to my problems. I tried putting it on so that the wires were INSIDE the T-shirt I was wearing, not dangling free in front of me. It worked really well and I can do my yard work without having to be careful about the wires. (I live in the Seattle area)

I bought it for running, (it's the second one I've bought, mostly because the armband velcro wore out) and it is very good for that purpose. Small and light, stays on your arm very well. AM is clearer and stronger than FM but for the most part they are perfect for the way I use them.

This product is great, I got it for my husband's birthday because he wanted to use it while running. He likes the digital format, the headphones are very lightweight and easy to wear, and the armband is wonderful for being active while you listen. This product allows you to digitally set different stations so it's only the touch of a button away if you want to change channels while working out. Highly recommended!

This is my 3rd Sony Walkman. The other 2 haven't stopped working. I got into a bike accident wearing one, and the armband broke off. The other is fine. It's just older. I purchased this one because I thought my older one stopped working when it got soaked in the rain. When it dried, it was fine. There is no comparison between this version and the previous 2. This one doesn't rank at all. I always stayed with Sony because of the reception, but this has horrible reception. The previous 2 Sonys can keep my set FM stations with maybe some fuzz here and there, but it's livable during my workout. This one has more fuzz than anything. I can't workout with it. I had to use the T.V. tuner just to listen to some clarity. The other problem I have with it is the way to get presets. Because they made this a more compact model, they took away the numbered buttons. Now to get a preset, a couple of buttons have to be pressed and it helps to see the tuner screen to see which preset is which. The problem is that I bought this to use for my jogs, and it's too difficult to manipulate the buttons while in constant movement. So I feel that I've wasted my money with this because I can't use it for the exercise purpose for which I bought it.

I love to walk/hike and listen to am/fm radio enroute-it was time to upgrade my over a decade old Sony S2 analog headset radio which has proved to be durable as heck. After research and finding few choices, I read the reviews here of both the Sony S2 SRF-M85W and the Sony SRF-M37W radios. Reviews seemed to favor the M37W even though the S2 85W is newer and more versatile in features-I purchased both to try. My older analog S2 just wasn't able to pick up stations in tree covered hiking trails, and switching channels was a burden-time to move to a digital unit. I've since returned the M37W and kept the Sony S2 85W and found the negative reviews on the S2 just not to be accurate, given the relative low price paid for the product. If you are on the fence, here is why I would choose the Sony S2 M85W over the Sony M37W:



*Both radios operate off of a single AAA battery with ample life, which

is great. Both radios retain settings when changing the battery.



*I found the S2 to put out greater volume with less distortion as you

crank it up, which is value to me as a music lover.



*I won't argue with all of the reviewers who suggest the M37W in their

opinion has better reception/tuner, but I will tell you that I am able

to pick up practically every station I've programmed in my S2 on those

tree covered hiking trails where I was formerly unable to with my old

analog S2. I find the tuner on this digital S2 works great.



*The big difference is that the S2 is far more versatile and comes with

a much better packaging. The S2 has both a belt clip and an armband

that can be attached/detached with ease, the M37W only has a belt

clip. The S2 comes with a headset stylistically matched to the radio

unit that is comfortable and sounds great, the M37W comes with an old

style cheap and muffled sounding over the ear foam headset-you'll have

to spend money to upgrade the M37's headset to get better sound. The

armband the comes with the S2 is easy to put on and take off, and is

of very high quality (it's like one you get with a blood pressure

device). Remember, the S2 can be used either on the belt or with the

band on the arm-YOUR choice.



*The display/interface on the S2 is far superior to that of the M37W.

A major advantage with the S2 when using the armband is that you can

view the stations/band/clock display at a glance instead of blindly

hitting buttons via a belt-attachment. The S2 display has various

viewing modes, and also a timer/split-timer included along with a

useful set of weather channels.



At relatively the same/similar price-the S2 just has so many more features and much greater versatility that for me it was an easy choice over the M37W. Both are very good products, my primary reason to detail here was to counter all of the seemingly negative reviews of the S2-I just don't feel they are warranted given the low price of this product. The S2 seems to be a more current vintage product that

is designed to be used in athletic endeavors as much as casual listening situations-I LIKE that versatility! Love this upgrade over my OLD Sony analog S2-and they have kept the colors and theme very similar. Definitely recommend this product if it fits your niche/needs. - Am-fm - Sony Walkman - Pocket Radio - Walkman'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information