Monday 31 January 2011

Leather Cover - leather cover, leather case


I'm in a good position to review this product, since I recently returned Kindle Leather Cover, Burgundy Red (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle). These two covers are very, very similar.



Similarities:



The form factor is nearly identical. The dimensions are the same, and closed they look nearly the same.



Both are pebbled leather with a (really nice) microfiber faux-suede interior.



Both close with a wrap-around elastic, which also serves to keep the cover in the folded-back position.



Differences:



The Amazon-branded Kindle cover attaches via a hinge system. This looks neater but didn't work out for me -- I have a toddler who likes to try and open it the wrong way around, which bends the hinges. The mCover attaches with molded (vinyl?) corner holders. This doesn't looks so nice -- mine are set into the case sort of crooked -- but is a winner as far as functionality goes. It's secure, doesn't interfere with use, and hard for a toddler to use as a means of destroying the case.



The mCover has a pocket on the inside cover; the Amazon cover does not. I don't care about this one way or the other. I'd slightly rather not have it.



On mine, at least, the elastic on the mCover is a good deal looser than the elastic on the Amazon cover was. The channel for the elastic is also wider (which is neither a plus or a minus -- it works fine.)



The Amazon cover comes in lots of cute colors. At the time of this writing, the mCover was only available in black, although cute colors are pictured.





Reservations:



Very few. I'm a little worried about the loose elastic. The corner molding overlaps the shift key by a tiny bit, but not enough to be a real problem. The crooked holders are a tad annoying.



Overall:



At the time of this writing, the mCover was less than a third the price of the Amazon cover. At the current price, it's a screaming bargain. At a somewhat higher price, it would still be a good value.



Since it was only available in black, for me buying it was a bit of a compromise of practicality over pleasure. If it's released in other colors, I can see myself buying one just for fun, especially if it maintains its current bargain price. mCover® Black Leather Folio Cover Cover Case for Amazon Kindle 3 (Fits 6" Display, built-in inner pocket)

I just got my new Kindle 3, and the mCover Leather case came the same day. I put the Kindle in it immediately, and haven't taken it out since! It is absolutely perfect for the K3 in every way. Just what I wanted in a case. The cover folds back flat and is easy to hold while reading. Fold the top back over the Kindle to protect it when not reading. And it has an attached elastic band to hold the front cover closed! The pieces that hold the kindle to the back of the cover are sized just right, holding the Kindle securely to the cover without obstructing any of the screen or buttons. This is the best cover! I recommend it for everyone who has a Kindle 3!

The case gives good solid protection to my kindle. The outward appearance is very nice and the grove for the closure band is a nice touch. Inside slot for papers and such handy. It could be improved with better fit on the bottom holders as they do partially cover the back and shift keys but they are still usable if with care. Also as the speakers are in the rear on top of the kindle they are muffled by the case and this could be cured with a mesh in the appropriate area of the case. One last thought as I remove the kindle from the case often for comfort changing the top clips for elastic straps may work better in the long run.



All in all for low cost this is a very good protective case and will keep the kindle secure in briefcase or what ever I grab to travel with as well as by itself.

I purchased this cover because I wanted a less expensive alternative than the options Amazon created for the third generation of Kindles.



Where Amazon covers use metal brackets to secure the Kindle, this cover uses vinyl corners. I have concerns about the Kindle itself getting cracked with the insertion of the metal brackets. I really like the vinyl corners; they do keep the Kindle secure and protect the corners from accidentally being bumped.



While I did not purchase the Amazon cover, a friend of mine did. This cover is comparable in design and looks. With this case closed, the only feature not present is the tab on the elastic band. Honestly, I don't miss the tab.



One additional feature this one has that the Amazon cover does not is a pocket on the inside cover. There you may store notes, receipts, cash, credits cards, or any other miscellaneous items, if you so desire.



Obviously, this one cannot be compared to the Amazon cover with the built-in light (since this one does not have a light). However, I have found that I do not miss that either.



That said, if you are looking for a less expensive alternative with similar design--and even similar quality--this might be the option for you.

I had been looking for an affordable cover for the Kindle 3 and feel this one hits the spot, it looks good and there is nothing that gets in the way like I have seen with the closing straps on some aftermarket covers. The four corners appears to hold the reader securely and all the controls are within easy reach.



The elastic band that keeps the cover closed rests in a little groove on the front, I just wish it came with a little tab to make it easier to grab the elastic band but you should be able to easily make your own tab. Overall I am very happy with its looks and design.

If there's a knock on the Kindle (third gen), it's that it is so slim and sleek, it doesn't really fit comfortably in your hands. Also, since I take mine back and forth on the bus everyday, I feared dropping it might mean the end of my Kindle. The mCover lets me hold the device in a book-like fashion, but it's still slim and portable. The outside a durable, decent quality leather that feels sturdy and, with the elastic cord in place, offers protections against the Kindle going anywhere. Inside, four plastic tabs secure the Kindle by the corners. The lower left tab blocks the arrow button slightly, but otherwise all buttons, ports and switches are easily accessible. There's also a pocket on the inside cover for a few papers, etc. The mCover does everything it should, and while you can spend more, I'm not sure you'll get a better case. - Leather Cover - Leather Case - Kindle 3 - Kindle Covers'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information