Monday 31 January 2011

Car Charger - mini-usb to micro-usb adapters, mini usb to micro usb adapters


I have a lot of "mini usb" cables for old phones, mp3 players, and headsets. The new standard for phones, "Micro USB," left me looking for a solution to convert all of my old "mini usb" cables to "micro usb."

DONT BUY THESE ADAPTORS.

I purchased two of these (they were cheap) and neither will stay connected to the device (Motorola Droid v1). The standard cable that came with the Droid and every other cable I've tried stays firmly in the port when plugged in but these adapters DO NOT. The contacts are very touchy on these adapters and they don't stay in by themselves. I'm quite disappointed. I will be looking for another solution. Mini USB charger to Micro USB Charger Converter

Any mini to micro USB adapter is a very simple device only requiring two wires between the two connectors. The differences then will be durability (does it last and work fine with day-to-day use) and connector quality (do the connectors fit too tight, too loose, just right and is it a pain to try to get it to connect - especially the micro-USB male connector).



With these, I am not interested in saving a few dollars when using it with a $500 device. However, there is no need for these to be very expensive - even a good quality adapter. There is really nothing to them. If you purchase one that is always falling apart, slipping of the mini-USB connector and/or is not properly 'fitted' (poor tolerances) to your device's micro-USB, it's best to find another.



I bought 3 of these in a hurry with minimal research. I always seem to need a couple around since I have a nice collection of mini-USB cables, but most devices (especially phones/tablets) now have micro-USB (charging and data) so I decided to just order 3 knowing I'd probably loose one or two in my travels.



I gave one to my wife to use with her phone and a mini-USB cable for charging and syncing. I kept a couple for myself (one in car since it has a built-in USB port for charging/playing music through system) and one for my computer bag.



All 3 of them have fallen apart several times. Just pull on it at a slight angle will pop the 'case' open. Easy enough to put back together. But, the biggest irritant (and potentially damaging to your micro-USB device) is that it has terrible fitting tolerances. For example, I have both Nokia and Motorola cell phones - I usually leave their micro-USB-fitted chargers at home and travel with a mini-USB cable to use this converter. The micro-USB end (male) that inserts into the phone is a big struggle - for both of them, I have to look several times to make sure I have it situated correctly and try inserting it five or six times - it just doesn't fit right (goes for all three I have).



But, when I use the micro-USB chargers/cables supplied with the phones, they simply insert effortlessly.



The female mini-USB side of these is a bit too loose with noticeable play. It is always coming loose and loosing connection with the slightest movement.



For me, even considering the low price, this deserves 1-star. Having used three of them, I know I didn't just happen to get a single, bad one.

I didn't read carefully enough when I ordered it - but it does say "NOTE: This is a charging adapter! It may not work as a Data adapter on all cables or phones!" So heed that carefully -- if you're wanting to adapt a Mini-USB CHARGER ONLY, and NOT a data cable, then this device will work for you. It will NOT allow you to use a Mini-USB data-cable in a Micro-USB port -- it ONLY sends the charge through, not the data.



Having said that, it adapts my Motorola KRZR K1m charger to my Motorola Droid perfectly. I can charge my Droid with the KRZR K1m car-charger, and there are no issues whatsoever.

I purchased 4 of these since I had recently switched Blackberry devices and my husband still had the old one, with all the chargers. I thought it would be an economical way to share chargers when we were on vacation or at my offsite locations. Only 2 of the 4 that I purchased work. Not a big financial loss, however, I still need to carry my one charger around to make sure that I have charging capability when I am at home in Portland or in Seattle or my other locations. SO, did not resolve my challenge-yet.

Got this yesterday for my LG En Touch (VX11000). Hooked it up after driver LG download.

Phone says "This cable is not recommended for this phone"

Buy SKN6252 instead. I just happen to buy both. This one works fine. - Mini Usb To Micro Usb Adapters - Charger - Micro Usb - Mini-usb To Micro-usb Adapters'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information