Thursday 31 March 2011

Hardwood Flooring Nailer


Was skeptical, as I usually am, but this tool lives up to its name.



Have installed alot of 3/4" 2-1/4" plank oak flooring with it so far, have had 1 misfire. Instructions say to not hit it too hard, but I found that it takes a good solid whack to get it to fire completely. Once you do that, it's a breeze. Always seats where it's supposed to, and fires the nails to the right depth. Too light a whack will not sink the nails.



It's really solidly built and balanced really nicely.





One drawback, I wish I could check magazine level without opening it up, but it's not too bad. It makes a hollower sound when you're dry firing. Ramsond RMM4 2-in-1 Air Hardwood Flooring Cleat Nailer and Stapler Gun

I as a shopper often depend on the Amazon customer reveiws for product research. No one had reveiwed this nailer yet, however based on feedback on other websites, I decided to take a chance. I purchased this nailer as opposed to the Porter Cable nailer because I do not use a flooring nailer that often. I just couldn't justify the 4oo.oo plus expense. This nailer as well as another couple, and I suspect also the Porter Cable nailer have such obvious similarities that I feel they are probably made in the same factory.

Upon arrival the nailer seems well made for a more economically priced nailer. Machinings and castings aren't perfect but adequate for a 200.00 nailer.



Likes: The handle, and the fact that it will drive either nails or staples and can be adjusted for various flooring thickness. The color, which has nothing to do with functionality, but this nailer does look cool.



I received the nailer and fired some test nails into scrap flooring. The nailer shoots nicely and seems to function properly.



Dislikes: The bargain basement mallet. The manual could use some more detailed photos. Most of the logos are in the form of decals, not painted on, call me picky but I like to keep my tools well maintained, and don't like decals falling off over time.



I am giving this nailer three stars for now. I will try to report back after I get more time in with this gun.



Reveiw update. Since the last reveiw I have been working on my floors and the gun has performed very well. I have shot over 1500 cleats through the gun and had no jams or misfires.The only thing in use that has been a problem is that the rubber coating on the handle is so grippy that it tends to give a blister.

Overall, I am really pleased with the product, and would like to add another star.

As most other people who bought this flooring nailer, I couldn't justify spending 400 plus on the Bostich or Porter Cable. I don't like renting tools from the home improvement stores because I like the freedom to use the tools whenever I want so I can do the job at my own pace. I gave it 4 stars because when I first hooked up the air supply, I heard some air leaking from where the handle meets the body of the nailer. I found that some of the bolts were not fastened down all the way. I just took the wrench that was supplied and tighten the bolts and it hasn't leaked air since. The other reason for 4 stars is that the logo's and SN are just stickers, and the user manual is not that great for beginners like me. As far as the functioning of the nailer, it gets 6 stars! I put down 3/4 inch pre-finished oak floor and the RMM4 worked perfect without a single misfire! Overall, I would recommend this tool in a heartbeat, especially to those who are trying to decide whether or not to buy or rent.

I bought my Ramsond flooring nailer/stapler on e-bay. I used the last part of a box of nails then went to staples based on what a professional floor guy told me. The gun functioned flawlessly. It is easy to use, the stapling action drives the t & g flooring tightly together eliminating any gaps. It works just like my pro friend's Bostitch.



I installed about 200 sq feet of 3/4" x 2 1/4" red oak flooring and stored the tool in my dry basement for almost a year. I started installing the same material in a 400 sq ft room. It worked well for about 100 sq ft. And then the nailer broke. The pin which holds the staple driver to the piston snapped, and the driver was now free. This part looks identical to the Bostitch part.



Ramsond sells the gun with a package of o-rings, hex wrenches and a stamped steel wrench. Disassembly was not easy, but I was able to get down to the piston/driver assembly. When I tried to take this apart, the aluminum pieces broke. I went to e-bay, emailed Ramsond (actually Padova Imports) and the next day had a reply to call their parts dept. They shipped out a new piston/driver assembly for about $35 with shipping and I had it in less than a week. (I cannot blame them for the gun being out of warranty.) WRONG PART. I'll return it tomorrow and see if I can get the correct part.



While it worked, this flooring gun was great. But mine did not work for long.



There is a difference between a name brand (Bostitch) tool and a Harbor F&S or a Ramsond tool. Quality materials and quality control make a difference. In general, I have not had good luck with the off brand, cheap tools but still buy them in hopes of hitting the jackpot. I guess I never learn. Bottom line, my pro flooring friend has gotten years of trouble free use out of his Bostitch, and while I admit one tool does not a statistical sample make, my Ramsond failed after a few hours use, and the support was questionable.



If you buy Ramsond, may you have better luck than I did.

I read all the reviews and ordered the nail gun. I opened the box, oiled up the gun and off we went (boys with new toys) it worked great until I disconnected the air compressor on the 2nd day and when I hooked it back up it developed an air leak on handle the bolt where coming loose and the gasket had slipped out the side so I shoved the gasket back in and tightened all the bolts and it worked like a charm.

I'm only 200sqft into a 600sqft project, not one miss fire and the only problem I had was with the bolts being loose on handle. I would recommend this nail gun for the price, before using check all bolts, it was easy with the allen wrench right on the tool.

I gave this a 4 because the handle on the hammer is loose after 4 days of use. A little better made hammer would be nice.

Good luck!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information