Wednesday 30 March 2011

Planer Knives


Although I have sufficient experience with Freud products to be comfortable with the quality I could expect, one other review gave me some concern as to wether these blades would fit my Grizzly machine. Well put that concern aside because they fit just like the original equipment. I am a big time Freud fan so anytime I can get a product of their quality for less than the OEM accessories I consider that a real bargain.



Ed Freud C045 15-Inch x 1-Inch x 1/8-Inch Planer Knives - 3-Piece Set

I have a Grizzly 15" planer and after planing a lot of hickory I found it was time for a spare set of blades while I got the originals sharpened. I checked with Grizzly and Amazon. Amazon's Freud blades were less money than Grizzly's. I thought I'd take a chance since I have purchased Freud saw blades and router bits and have been well pleased. The only problem that occurred was when I went to replace the blades I noticed they were a little thicker than the originals. I had to find a thinner wrench that would fit on the nuts so I could tighten the blades in the holder. After installing the blades I ran several hundred board feet of hickory through the planer. The blades were as good or better than the originals and time will tell whether they will have the same longevity. With what I have seen of their operation I would recommend them.

I just replaced the blades on my Delta 15" Planer with the Freud Planer Knives. To say the least, these are some great blades. I used only Freud blades on all my saws and they can't be beat! The price of these blade will make me come back.

these knives dulled after only taking 1/16 off of 100 or less bf of hard maple. delta knives were doing 350 to 450 bf of hard maple. I will have them sharpened and hope for improvement but I doubt it.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information