Thursday 31 March 2011

Netbook - external dvd burner, compact dvd drive


Google Keywords: windvd provided missing serial number new install toshiba slim USB SuperMulti DVD+R(w)



For everyone who cannot find the proper serial number, I feel your pain. I just spent a short amount of time looking for the solution and finally decided to check the disk. In VERY SMALL FONT on the right side of the disk you will see a WINDVD Serial Number, about 16-20 characters long. I have to say however that Toshiba did a bang up job putting the S/N on the disk which must be in the drive when you are trying to install it. Just remember to push the disk back in after you enter the number and before you hit >Next.



Hope this helps everyone involved. Please try and pass the word to any other sites you've posted your question to. Toshiba PA3761U-1DV2 Portable/Slim USB SuperMulti DVD-Writer

Hardware-wise the Toshiba USB DVD drive is just great. Just plug it in, and you'll be able to read CDs so you can install software to your Toshiba Netbook, for example, which is the main reason I needed to get a USB external drive. But if you want to play movies from DVD disks with your netbook, you'll need a decoder, and Toshiba has supplied WinDVD, which in my hands did NOT work. It installs, sort of; and it works, sort of; but it won't play a movie. You'll get various "protected media" messages; or it just won't find the title; or whatever; it's pathetic. So spend fifteen more bucks and order CyberLink PowerDVD SE. It's a little hard to find on the [...] website; they try to sell you a more expensive product, but the fifteen dollar version is all you need if you are running XP as I am. (I was aware that WinDVD had problems as suppied with the Toshiba external USB DVD drive, but I bought it anyway; perhaps this email will save everybody else the headache of trying to find out this fixit from ... from what, Customer Support? I don't think so; whoever publishes WinDVD [Corel?] is NOT going to recommend that you fix your problem by sending fifteen bucks to some other software outfit :--)))

I plugged it in and got it going. It didn't ask for a serial number. And the Quick Start guide shows only attaching one USB to the laptop, not two. Perhaps, they've corrected those issues. I simply clicked on each listed item I wanted to download and it did it. I played a DVD to test it out and it played very well. However, I have not tried burning a CD as yet. I have a new laptop with Windows 7.



UPDATE: I needed to enter the serial number for a one year old netbook (XP based).

was unable to easily spot the SN on the drive - toshiba support forum provide generic key MWK6IYJDHJS20HJ to use to install the WinDVD software included and this worked. Beware - the support forum used an "old" zero - had to change to a "new" zero (used above) to make work. Everything else about the drive is working fine.

I bought this as an add on for an Acer netbook I have, and am quite pleased. I have media saved to DVD,and this product works like a charm. The piano black finish is a fingerprint magnet ( I would prefer a matte finish..), but it is quite attractive. Easily fits in a case, when you want to take it with you on the road.



I have used it to burn photos from a party to give to guests, watch movies on a plane, and copied a file or two. Netbooks being what they are , and intended to do, are sometimes limited. I think this is nice to have, you might not use it everyday, but it sure does come in handy.



It gets the job done, quickly -everything is quite intuitive, very little learning curve.



I love the small size, and Toshiba is a top brand.



I would not hesitate to suggest this as an add on to a netbook- great gift!

Just bought this today at Best Buy ($70.00). Got home and simply plugged it into my laptop and works like a charm. Primary reason for buying this DVD burner is that the BLURAY drive that came with my laptop does not support CD+G discs.

Purchased locally @BestBuy ($70) to use with new Acer Aspire 1 Netbook (from WOOT). Installation required S/N to install WinDVD and would not accept S/N on disk and still unable to load (waiting on Toshiba). Writes software to the Netbook just fine and plays music CDs fine, just need to get the burner installed. Drive only requires use of one leg of Y USB cable.

Thanks so much to the prior reviewer with the information about where the WINDVD serial number was located. It worked perfectly for me on my Toshiba netbook, and have watched several DVDs effortlessly. Definitely recommended. - External Dvd Drive - Compact Dvd Drive - External Dvd Burner - Dvd Burner'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information