Thursday 31 March 2011

Projector - viewsonic


I've only had my ViewSonic PJD5123 one day, which is a little premature for reviewing, but with only one review posted, I thought another would be helpful. I actually made my purchase on that review's recommendation, since I could find no others.



First, let me say that my purchase was largely price-driven. I figured I'd have to buy a used projector, but the low price Amazon charged was the hook that caused me to bite on this brand-new one. My second criterion was that it had to work with a Mac; it does! I did have to purchase an extra cable for my Macbook Pro unibody ($29.99 from Apple). I could have gotten a third party cable for much less (and may still do that for a backup), but the reviews on them were not as favorable as those on the Apple one.



So I took the plunge, even paying an extra $4 (Amazon Prime) to have it delivered in two days. It arrived on time and I found everything in the box as advertised. The written documentation is worthless, but their CD has much good information. You can also go to the ViewSonic website and download their PDF manual to read before your purchase arrives (highly recommended).



I installed the software on my Macbook Pro, connected the ViewSonic PJD5123 and fired it up. My computer (running OS X 10.6.7) recognized the projector and the computer screen's image shone on the white wall across the room, but it was very blurry. My heart sank. Thinking I'd bought a pig in a poke, I began lamenting the irritation of having to ship it back. Then, I began to turn the adjustments this way and that, and the picture on the wall became as clear as the one on the laptop screen. Was I ever relieved!



Then I wondered, will it work in an environment with a lot of daylight? Because I teach college courses and give seminars in rooms with many windows, I needed a projector with enough brightness to provide a clear text and picture in broad daylight. Now please do not misunderstand. The picture and text are better at night, but they are just fine in the daylight.

Someone may wonder how it works for movie watching. I've been watching movies on my 17" computer screen, so when I focused the ViewSonic with a movie projecting from it on the wall, I held my breath hoping that it would provide at least an acceptable picture. Wow, was I every pleased! I now have a huge screen on the wall that looks as good as the one on my computer. This is a bonus I'd not planned on.



Another concern for me is the voltage. I travel internationally and was delighted to find that this little projector works with 110-240v/50-60hz. With a plug adapter I'll be in business in the USA and foreign countries.



I almost forgot to mention that while there is no carrying case, a remote (with batteries!) is included. I've barely used the remote, but the features look sufficient for my use. As for the bag, what do you want for a rock bottom price? I'll likely go to the local thrift store and find a suitable case for less than three bucks!



Do I have any concerns or disappointments? So far I'm not disappointed at all. This projector does all the basic stuff I need and provides a very nice picture. My only concern is that when I shut it down I do not hear the fan running to cool it down before final shut down as the instructions indicate. I will call or email the company to see if its shut down feature is defective. My guess is that it is just fine. Other than that, it seems to work A-OK!



Please note that this is not a heavy-duty, latest and greatest feature-filled projector. For such a product you'll likely pay three or four times what this little fellow costs. But it does what I need and even has an eye to the future with a sticker that boasts "3-D READY."



ADDED 6 JULY, 2011



Just a quick note on the issue of the fan not running after shutdown to cool the projector: I emailed ViewSonic on Saturday of the July 4th weekend and they responded promptly the following Tuesday after the holidays. Here's their email response:



"Dear Valued Customer,



Thank you for contacting ViewSonic. Our newer projectors have a feature in which the unit will cool off on its own when needed. This new feature is so that the unit can be used more on the go , ViewSonic and a few other brand name companies have added such feature to recently manufactured projectors . If you should have further questions please contact us back. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide assistance."



Well, I couldn't believe what I'd read, so I called ViewSonic and talked to a technical person. He assured me that the email was, indeed, correct and that the unit is working just fine. He said ViewSonic designed this projector so that one could immediately pack it away after using it. For me, this is a blessing in disguise! It means that I can use the projector until the close of class, and immediately walk out with it. ViewSonic PJD5123 SVGA DLP Projector 120Hz/3D Ready, 2700 Lumens, 3000:1 DCR

The ViewSonic PJD5123 Projector is an effective and economical solution for movie viewing and PowerPoint presentations. Projecting from 25' it creates a bright 8' wide image. I connect it to a laptop with Bose Companion 2 Series II computer speakers creating an exceptional audio video experience. I use a Logitech wireless mouse to control presentations. You may need a case for the projector and possibly a longer video cable than the 6' cable provided. I am completely satisfied with the quality and performance of the projector and would recommend it to anyone in the market.

After shopping around and purchasing a few "cheap" projectors I realized that I needed to bight the bullet and buy something a bit more expensive. I did a ton of research and for my price point of around $300 I found this projector. I was a bit skeptical as I have had no luck with projectors recently and was nervous about throwing down so much money. Rest assured, this projector is worth it! I wanted a nice affordable movie projector for backyard movie nights with friends. Trying to find one that provided a great picture along with being affordable is no easy task. But this model is fantastic. I can't get over how crisp the picture is. And we use nothing but a white sheet pinned between two hammok posts. Even in a room with mid day sun the picture is still bright and clear. The fan is not too loud and the controls are very easy to work. My only concern is that finding the right connection for my macbook 5,1 unibody has been a hassle. We connected it to a cheap dvd player and it worked great. Also there are RCA connections and we hooked it up to a vintage receiver and speakers for an amazing sound experience. If you can afford the price, this is a great buy. I highly recommend this projector!!! - Viewsonic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information