Monday 28 February 2011

Best Router - wrt160n, wireless router


I was looking for a Wireless-N router (the newest form of wireless connectivity) as most of my computers and consoles (Xbox 360 has a new wireless dongle) now have Wireless N technology. This was cheap and had fairly decent reviews so I decided to take a chance. The item arrived fairly quick and in great (I'd say practically brand new) condition and was easy to install. However, after only a few hours of use, I noticed several problems with this unit. Most of the problems seemed to be with my Macbook Pro; it wasn't getting a full signal, speeds were slow, and whenever I opened iChat, the router would instantly restart itself. After going through the hassle of purchasing and installing it, I decided to try something else before sending it back: I installed DD-WRT open source firmware on the router, and haven't looked back since.



I have never used open source firmware before, but I had read up about it before purchasing a router again. Even though the DD-WRT website listed this as not compatible, I purchased this anyway in hopes that eventually it would be released. DD-WRT for this router (version 3) wasn't supported until literally 2 weeks ago, and I was lucky enough to find a release of it on the DD-WRT support forums (easily found by doing a quick search on Google for "DD-WRT WRT160Nv3"). After downloading the mini pack and the standard pack (listed as WRT160Nv3 in the file name) I loaded the router access page (192.168.1.1) and did a web firmware update thru my FireFox browser, first starting with the mini pack, and once that is finished, then with the standard firmware for this router.



It was as easy as that, and took literally 4 minutes to upgrade it. Now, this router has been perfect. It hasn't been restarted once since it was updated with DD-WRT, the speed is fantastic, and overall, I am extremely happy to have upgraded with the new firmware. The DD-WRT firmware also has some great features like bandwidth monitoring, signal adjustment and strength meter, great security features and tons more that the standard Linksys firmware doesn't include. **Please note: there is a slight chance DD-WRT could brick (aka destroy) your router, though it doesn't appear to happen very often. Please make sure you read the DD-WRT website and support thread on this router thoroughly before upgrading it. With that said, it was the easiest and least painful upgrade I have ever done, and now this router works great.



EDIT: Please read comments section for more information and direct links.



EDIT: 12/13/10 Please be advised that this review is over a year old. Since installing DD-WRT last year, I have never had to upgrade anything or really even mess with it. However, things change quickly, and my experience then might be different from yours today. Please be sure to read the official DD-WRT website and forums for current information related to this router. Thanks Cisco-Linksys WRT160N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Router

Out of the box this router was a total failure. Within a few hours of booting it would drop wifi connections and refuse new ones. Resetting the router would fix this for a few more hours and then it would fail again. I worked on its configuration with Linksys support on two separate occasions and eventually they told me to return it.



I'd filled out the Amazon return forms and was about to mail the router back when I read another review here that suggested installing DD-WRT. This installation erases the Linksys firmware and installs an open-source Linux-based replacement. With DD-WRT running on my router it is solid, stable, fast and fully featured. For less than $30 it is a fantastic purchase. But ONLY with DD-WRT installed on it.



I have updated the DD-WRT wiki pages to explain how to install on the v.3 router. It is easy enough for anyone with very basic computer skills to do this.

Alright, as a long time user of linksys wireless routers, I think I knew what to expect here, and I DID NOT get what I was expecting, thats for sure. This product is unreliable. The wireless signal drops, constantly- a refurb unit, I know, but after researching the WRT160N on the internet, the signal drops are obviously a systemic problem with the unit.



In fact, Amazon has a separate part number just for WRT160N refurbs (WRT160N-RM)- what does that tell you? There are a ton of these flying around, in fact my unit looked absolutely new out of box - it probably WAS new - but with the out of box systemic wireless signal dropping flaw, back it goes to Amazon for a second try at a refurb sale.



A few more details,

- the setup is easy and improved from my older wireless-G. Nice improvement in the ease of use area.

- Router starts up well, signal is strong and speed is outstanding to my XP laptop with odyssey client in the other room. All is well.

... 3 hours pass...

- signal on my home network starts going in and out on my laptop sitting 10 ft away from the router. The green bars go from excellent to very good to just good. Hmm.

- then, poof, all white bars on my laptop, no more signal. I go check the router. All seems fine the lights are all working. I connect the hard wire ethernet cable to the router, internet connectivity is fine.

- wait about 35 minutes the signal from the WRT160N comes back- great! I have wireless connectivity for 10 minutes, then white bars again. Reboot computer, no luck. Delete the home network connection and recreate. No luck.



Finally go check [...] for support notes on this signal in and out issue- WOW! literally hundreds of blogs and rants on the web about the WRT160N dropping connections.



Final chapter- box it up and send it back to amazon. As much as it pains me to buy a near obsolete product, I will purchase another Wireless G router from linksys. Those work like a charm. - Wireless Router - Router - Wireless N - Wrt160n'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information