Monday 28 February 2011

Geocaching - geocaching, pen


I have had one of these for a little over a year now and it has been quite handy. I wanted a pen just to keep on my keychain for a long time but couldn't find a good one, until I saw this one. It looked a little big for what I originally wanted but really ended up being fine.



The pen is of high quality construction, although I don't go hiking with it or anything. The cap stays very firmly in place (it has to, that is what the key ring goes through). The pen has never come out of the cap on its own in my pocket or anything. I don't use the caribeaner or the string that came with it so no comment on those, I just threw them away.



The writing with this is very smooth and it writes on those slick receipts from restaurants that some pens have trouble on, and on ones with some grease on it. Also it writes on various other surfaces I have tried it on without problems.



As another reviewer said, the pen itself can become unscrewed. I had it happen to me once not long after I got it, I took my keys out of my pocket and the pen was very loose. I just tightened it back up, and every once in a while check just to make sure it's still tightly screwed on there. If you check it when you first get it, and then again every month or so depending on how much you carry it around, you should be just fine.



Also, the pen including cap is 3 and 7/8 inches.



Overall a very excellent pen! Fisher Space Pen, Trekker Space Pen, Matte Black (SC725B)

As an avid geocacher, I needed a writing instrument that would handle any logbook, regardless of its condition, and regardless of what rock I was crouched under or tree I was hanging from. I've *never* missed a find because I couldn't sign the log, even one that was covered in tree sap!

Being a geocacher, I wanted a handy pen that would write in all situations encountered in this sport/hobby; i.e. wet, dirty, crumpled paper, etc. Daughter gave me this pen for Christmas which I had on my wishlist. The pen performed well in needed conditions hooked onto a accompanying lanyard BUT it had the unfortunate habit of unscrewing itself where a refill could be inserted as I hiked. I was constantly having to check and tighten the the pen to keep it from coming apart. And, finally, last week when searching for a particularly stubbornly hidden cache, I did not notice until I arrived home that the pen had come apart and the writing part of it was gone. Rather expensive pen to last only 2 months!

Like all fisher space, this is a fantastic pen. I mainly bought this because i was tired of losing pens, So i bought this one to conveniently hook up to my keychain.



I currently use and still recommend the bullet variety 400BCL(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZQB4M).



+ This one, (the Trekker) comes with a nice grip and

+ love the keyring to clip on to my key-chain

- It's a pretty short or small pen.So when you being to write,if the space between the tip of your thumb and the seating position on the top of your wrist is more, this pen can be difficult to write with. In the case of the bullet, if you plug the cap at the bottom of the pen, the effective length increases, so this issue is avoided there

+ Otherwise, in terms of build and writing this pen as great as every other fisher space.



So if you have large palms in general, you should probably go with the bullet variety.

I used the included keyring on this pen to permanently mount the pen cap to my wallet (a Maxpedition Micro cordura wallet). I threaded the keyring through the cordura, and now the pen lies attached in the center of the bifold wallet, becoming something of a "hinge" in the middle that the wallet wraps around. I absolutely love it.



This pen is always there in my wallet, my emergency pen. Like alot of people these days, I use my iPhone (Blackberry/Droid) as a substitute pen, and have little use for pens these days. Prior to getting this pen I would occasionally throw a pen in a pocket when needed and usually have their caps come off and ruin my shirt or pant! Or go through the laundry and ruin several shirts and pants! I tried carrying an expensive pen in my pocket in an attempt to be cultured and cool, but lost it in less than a week. None of these things are issues anymore. I don't lose the spacepen because the pen cap is permanently attached to the wallet. I don't set the pen or wallet down in usage, I reattach the pen and put the wallet away when done. And I've yet to "wash" my wallet accidentally. Win.. Win.. Win!



I am very happy to have purchased this pen and recommend this setup to anyone with a similar wallet or pen problems!

I started out with this on my keychain, and it was helpful. I recently however hooked the keychain on the pen to a 3x5 spiral bound notebook and the whole thing lives in my pants pocket. It's really handy for capturing your to-do list as it changes. I have had no problems with the pen separating from the cap. Then again, I keep it attached to things that live in my pocket rather than leaving it hanging out where it can fall out.



It's small enough that I don't notice it in my pocket, but big enough that small notes are comfortable to write.

I often find myself needing a pen, and wanted one for my keyring or wallet, which I always carry. I couldn't find a pen that looked feasible for my wallet, so I initially bought this for about $15. As other reviewers have said, it's of high quality construction, and includes a handy neck string and carabiner, but which I didn't need.



The lid comes with a small keyring attached. I first removed this and tried to put the lid directly onto my own keyring in order to shorten its length in my pocket and hanging down from the ignition when I drive, but no go--the hole is simply too small for my keyring to fit. So I had to live with the extra couple centimeters.



It felt a little short in my hand for writing with, but since its purpose was to be compact, I got used to that.



As others experienced, I also found it coming unscrewed several times, approximately once a week, in my pocket. I wasn't able to solve that problem, though, due to another issue.



I lost the pen within three weeks; it took a good deal of force to snap the barrel into the lid, and I must not have snapped it in completely on that occasion. So I bought a box of Pentel BK91MNC-C Pentel Mini R.S.V.P. Stick Ballpoint Pen, Translucent Brl, Blue Ink, Med Pt, Box of 12 for $9. They're even longer, and the end comes unscrewed too, but I solved that with Scotch tape. These don't snap any more tightly than most pens, but in six months I've never lost one because of a loose lid.



If anyone finds a better keyring pen, post a comment!



Pros:

* high quality, durable pen

* various attachment options

* looks and feels good



Cons:

* comes unscrewed

* extra-tight lid is hard to snap in (that's how I lost it)

* too short to write comfortably

* doesn't write smoothly compared to other ball points



If you need a highly durable pen or one for use in extreme circumstances, this is probably great. For a keyring pen in everyday circumstances, I haven't bought one again. - Pen - Geocaching - Space Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information