Monday 28 February 2011

Shredder - paper shredder, junk


I've been needing a paper shredder for quite some time now. It's so tiring to rip up paper with sensitive information on it into bits and pieces! So I did some research online on the models that I had an interest in and went out to the physical stores and did a price comparison.



I came across the B&D CC800 at Walmart and it was priced at only $59.88. I noticed that it had the power boost feature which seemed quite interesting. This was around the price that I was willing to spend, so I purchased it. With tax, it came out to be only $64.52 and I didn't have to wait for it to be shipped to me.



I went home, opened up the box and it had a really appealing looking to it compared to the ugly one that they had on sale at Office Max for $39.99 and that thing did the ugly diamond cuts. Yuck!



So I read the instruction and then test-drive my new paper shredder. It sounded just as loud as my Fellowes shredder that suddenly died one day after releasing out a burnt smell. Even though it says 8 sheets, I am not going to overwork my shredder. Because I really want it to last this time! So I'll rest my shredder and use it more sparingly this time.



PROS: Nice and elegant look to it. The protective lid and power boost are such great features on this machine. It does the beautiful cross cut shreds and it does the job!



CONS: It would have been better if the lid popped up by itself all the way instead of us having to lift it and move it to its position. The slit to put the paper in seems rather small, but I guess you'll get the hang of it once you get used to it.



Overall, it's a really nice paper shredder by Black & Decker! I would recommend it to anybody that's on a budget and needs a paper shredder that can get the job done. If you'll be shredding a lot of paper all day long, then you should consider forking out the money and getting something that's more heavy duty. I would say that this is more of a medium duty shredder. Lastly, don't forget to lubricate your paper shredder from time-to-time to extend its life, so that it can function as if it is still a new paper shredder.



I'll be back from time-to-time to update you on my shredder's progress. Maybe in a month from now or so.



UPDATE [12-30-2009]: Dummy me! I totally forgot about this review until today! :) After 3 months, my shredder is still going strong. I use it from time-to-time to shred my unwanted junk mail. I don't know if Amazon is still offering this model or not. But if my memory serves me right, they still sell it at Walmart. So far no buyer's remorse yet in making this purchase.



Just like with everything in this life, if you treat it with respect, it will most likely last for a very long time. Even machines need rest! Come to think of it, my router and DSL modem stays on all year round. The only time they're off is when the electric goes out and that's about it. Now those things are real workhorses! Let's just say, they're an exception to the norm.



Anyways, with the recent merger of Stanley and Black & Decker, you now have two household brands that you can trust for many years to come. Hopefully, they'll keep both brand names around just like HP & Compaq did!



See you on the other side of the New Year--the beginning of new decade! Fresh start for everyone and great time to change for the better! I know what I'll do for 2010. I'll start keeping track of its actual run time. So that means I'll be back for more updates for sure! ;)



UPDATE [2-23-2010]:



As you can see, no matter how good your review is, there will always be backlashes. The truth is, each person is entitled to their own opinion of any particular product. I wrote mine and I am getting crucified by some idiot that doesn't agree with my comments. I wrote what I wrote and will not change it, just because someone HATES me here. My shredder is still going strong and they still sell it at Wal-Mart, last I checked. I don't know if it's the same exact model, but it looked similar. I will confirm it the next time I get out to Wal-Mart.



As for the updates on run time, I won't have time to keep close statistics on it like that. All I know is that I use it everyday and I am happy with this product. It's the best shredder I've ever owned and worth every penny of it.



Thanks to those for appreciating me for my reviews and thanks to W. Kime for your DISRESPECT of my review. You're the best!



UPDATE [2-24-2010]:



To better inform you on whether you should purchase this shredder or some other brand, I have uploaded some sample shreds for you to observe. The paper shredder used as the comparison to the CC800 was the Embassy TQ101Bc. The TQ101Bc does the diamond cuts versus the CC800's confetti cut. As far as security goes, both are decent shredders in their respective price point ranges. But if you want that extra security, you might want to look at another shredder that does even tinier shreds than these models. Price? The TQ101Bc retails at $50, but was purchased as a closeout for only $25. The CC800 was purchased at Walmart for $65 and retails on Amazon of $70. Black & Decker CC800 8-Sheet Crosscut Paper Shredder with Power Boost Graphite - Shredder - Paper Shredder - Junk'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information