Sunday 27 February 2011

Corded Rotary Tool - corded rotary tools, rotary tool


This tool works as expected, flawlessly. I picked up two high speed cutters for use on a custom air filter backplate. Speed variability seems like it would fit anyone's needs. The cord on it was around 3-4' long. The bits with it are nice, but if you are looking for something in particular you can probably find a more suitable one. Only complaint is that it doesn't always seem to turn on at the lowest setting. This isn't really a problem since you can turn it on higher and slow it down. I am not sure if I got one with a finicky switch or not. Regardless I would buy again.



Got it from a local dealer because I didn't want to wait for shipment, however amazon was cheaper. Dremel 300-1/24 300 Series Variable-Speed Rotary Tool Kit

I have bought 3 Dremel tools over the years, and none has stood up to moderate use. Usually the speed control goes: either the tool will only run at top speed, or, in the current 300-series models, it quits altogether. Also, the ball bearings Dremel boasts about are not sealed, so they fail due to the dust from whatever you're cutting or grinding getting into them.



No other power tool is so fragile or short-lived: you can get a decent 3/8" electric drill or an angle grinder for about the same amount of money, and they'll last forever. If drills failed so easily, the customers would riot and nobody would buy the company's product. To be fair, I've had the same experience with a Ryobi rotary tool I bought about ten years ago. But it was cheap -- only about $20 -- so I didn't feel quite so shafted when it stopped working.



With the Dremel, you pay a high price for a shoddy product. If you could replace the parts that go bad, that might be bearable. It used to be that you could buy replacement parts. Of course, you couldn't just replace the ball bearings with decent sealed ones -- because you couldn't get them off the armature. You had to buy a whole new armature.



But now, you don't even have that option. Dremel has stopped making replacement parts available!



So now, when the machine packs up, that's it: your expensive Dremel is now a piece of useless disposable junk. Your investment is down the toilet. Dremel talks a big game about quality, etc., but they treat their customers with utter contempt.



As for me, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and shell out hundreds for a Foredom or something equivalent. They're even more expensive, and they're not as easy to use for my purposes, but they have a reputation for holding up. We'll see.

This is the first "dremel" tool I've ever owned. I've had it for less than a year, and I've already used it to do a variety of jobs around the house -- mostly involving cutting openings in drywall. It is very durable and comes with basically one of each bit. Replacements are sold separately, like at Lowes. I've used it for lawn mower sharpening, cutting copper pipe, old-job box installs, etc.



My only issue with this tool, and it may be true for all "dremel" tools across the board, is that there is no dead-man-switch. There is absolutely no safety on this device what so ever. Imagine if your corded/cordless electric drill had a top-mounted On-switch instead of a trigger. Or your circular saw just kept whirling away if you released your hand. Now, imagine what would happen if you just happened to drop it while using it. Yeah! That's this tool! The bit spins so fast! This thing would easily go through flesh without even thinking about it. It could easily scratch and mark metal, wood, stone, plastic, anything! If you dropped it, it could easily mean the start of a very bad day!



The first time I turned it on, the bit shot out across the room because I failed to tighten it. That was my error - I admit that. My pregnant wife was in the room at the time. No one was hurt, but that could have been a very different story. I've since taken very specific actions to use gloves, glasses, muffs, and make sure anyone not needed is well out of the way. All the safety equipment and forethought aside, you could still drop it accidentally. Slips a little, you instinctually react and reach for it. The device is rather small; your hand's rather big. Boohoo for you.



I'm not saying that you shouldn't get it. I'm not saying all triggered power tools are toys by comparison. I'm just saying that this device isn't exactly Little Timmy's woodworking hobby. Be aware and take it seriously.



Overall, I give it four stars. I would give it six stars if it had a trigger interface though.

I have an old Dremel 395, and I recently purchase a 4000 and most recently this 300 series kit. These are all being put to use in an electronics station I've built for different purposes. By far, my old 395 is a far, far better built and more precise tool. You can even tell by the weight of the old 395 that it is a tougher tool. The 4000 is a decent tool, but the feel of it is just light, and cheap, but at least the shaft seems to be centered and true. This 300 I just bought has a very noticeable wobble and bind to the shaft, and I called Dremel about this issue. I was surprised by their attitude and the response of "Dremels are not precision tools". Basically, the conversation ended with "if you don't like it, return it to the store" and was left with a feeling they have tossed quality out the window to save money on production, and it doesn't concern them. I was going to use the 300 in the Dremel workstation's drill press I bought for use with very small drill bit work on circuit cards, but the wobble is so bad I know it will snap the bits. Instead, the 4000 I bought will be used on the drill press, and I have decided to use this 300 instead with the flex shaft I bought since it doesn't seem to impede it's operation any, so that will be it's job from now on. Very, very disappointed with you Dremel. You were always better than this. Also... I would like to note that many of their grinding bits are poorly centered now and off balance. If Dremel doesn't get their act together, they'll gain a reputation of poor quality, and that's hard to shake. I'll be looking elsewhere on the internet for old 395's from now. - Rotary Tool - Hobby Tool - Corded Rotary Tools - Multitool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information