Sunday 27 February 2011

Beverage Center - mini fridge, beer fridge


I am extremely disappointed in this refrigerator/beverage center, HC125FVS. I purchased it at a local "big-name" store. Firstly, the drinks on the top shelf never got really cold, and the temperatures varied greatly from one shelf to the next. I have 4 thermometers, and this is what the temperature degree results were at for the 7th (coldest setting) - 6th setting (2nd coldest):

Top: 45-55

3rd: 40-45

2nd: 35-40

small bottom shelf: 30-35



There was an ongoing variance of 5 degrees per shelf. Also keep in mind that the average refrigerator should be at 35-40 degrees MAX.



I called Haier and the agent told me that 125 cans is the maximum and they do not recommend filling the center to capacity to allow the air to flow freely. (Then why advertise it as a 125-can center???) I had it only about 2/3 full of cans anyway, and there is no fan in the unit to circulate the air, so how can the air flow freely? No wonder there is such a temperature variance. (Go figure.) I decided to hold onto it for a little while longer to see if I did get any satisfaction out of it. (The only thing that made me really happy was that it freed up a lot of precious space in my main refrigerator.) So, I held onto it for a few more weeks.



The straw that broke the camel's back is that it is also advertised on the box to have auto-defrost. After I had it for about 2 months, it developed a thick layer of frost, and it never auto-defrosted. The manual made no mention of the auto-defrost and how it is supposed to work. So, I called Haier America and asked why it had not defrosted yet. I spoke with two different agents and both told me that they did not see auto-defrost as one of the options on this refrigerator. (Go figure, again.)



Oh, one more thing. This center was constantly running. Although it has been a hot summer, my electric bills have never been above $190 in all the years that I have lived in this house. I was shocked when my electric bill went from $170 one month to $260 the next month after the first use of this center. My next electric bill should be coming soon, and I am bracing myself. Although I cannot say 100% sure that this center contributed greatly to the big jump in my bill, but when I turned it off, my electric meter's wheel slowed down quite a bit.



It is going back to the store this weekend. Thank goodness I can return it after 2 months to my local store...



Well, I hope you find this review helpful.



P.S. I just ordered a Danby Designer 4.4 Cu ft compact refrigerator that it is Energy Star rated. I have seen great feedback (4.63 stars out of 5)on the Danby from over 40 reviews, and I have my fingers crossed that it works better. It's also 0.4 cu ft bigger than the Haier...



UPDATE: After I stopped using this beverage center, my electric bill went back down to normal levels on my October 2008 bill. I got the Danby, and I am so much happier with the Danby. Its auto-defrost works and it is energy efficient, which is the opposite of this Haier.



UPDATE 7/9/09: It's the following summer, and I still love the Danby. My electric bills are still at their usual levels of $170-$190. Therefore, I am convinced the Haier is the reason for the jump in my bill last year. As I previously mentioned, the Haier was running constantly. Haier HC125FVS - 125-Can Beverage Center, Black

I shopped for several different brands and models of beverage centers in this price range and initially bought a Whirpool model from Lowe's. I was very disappointed in the uneven cooling as the unit had the thermostat sensor mounted on the bottom side. This wasn't acceptable and certainly seems a design flaw in the Whirpool.Therefore, the bottom would cool to around 42, but the top was 55 degrees! Be careful as it seems that some of these units are actually better intended for wine coolers than canned drinks since they don't cool as much as a refrigerator. All that seems to differ in some of those units is the type of racks for cans or wine bottles. I returned the Whirpool and got the Haier at Sams Club and can't believe the difference. It's made like a regular compact refrigerator but with more interior space. The thermostat is mechanical rather than digital so it is seems much better. Also the sensor is mounted in the top where it should be. The unit is cooling great and staying around 34-40 degrees fully loaded with it set on 6. The coolest setting is 7. At that temperature, it is safe to use as an extra refrigerator if you don't have many cans. The shelving is also handy with two that have flip tops to allow taller bottle placement. I couldn't be happier with this center. Please note the description below doesn't seem accurate and may be referring to a wine cooler or smaller beverage center. The unit weighs around 77 pounds.

The first beverage center we received was broken. The drip tray was broken along with the inside plastic that held the racks, the door was off, and the side was smashed in. Amazon shipped us another one and this was fine except for a small dent on the side, but after seeing the delivery man dragging it down my front steps I understand why. Otherwise we have enjoyed having this machine stocked and keeping drinks cold. You cannot turn it all the way up because it freezes the cans but keeping it on the normal "5" setting keeps the drinks cold enough. I would recommend if you can find this item locally go and pick it up yourself to avoid the delivery man dragging it down the steps.

Took a little longer than expected to receive and when it showed up it was upside down. There were no clear markings on the box to let the shipper know it should not be turned over or which side was up. Unit never worked from day one. Not expecting a problem and looking for the easiest way to get the unit out I cut the box and threw it out. Now I have no way to pack it up and ship it back plus I don't want to pay the shipping which is a third of the cost of the unit. Lesson learned? Do not buy products like this on line. - Haier - Beer Fridge - Beverage Fridge - Mini Fridge'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information