Sunday 27 February 2011

Ipad Accessory - stylus, ipad pen


Review Summary:

If you're really wanting a stylus for your iPad, I would recommend this one. Considering the limited number of iPad styli on the market, this one's pretty good but I do have a couple of critiques. It's definitely overpriced and could use a protective cap for the tip. Especially since the foam is likely to not hold up very well to sharp edges and rough textures. Despite being a bit shorter than a regular pen, it's comfortable to use/write with and has a decent weight to it (seems to be made from a semi-thick tube of aluminum). Due to Apple's iPad screen technology, you'll need to press a little bit on the stylus to ensure that there is enough surface area on the screen. My opinion: this will work for now but if you're wanting a really good writing device, keep an eye out for future iPad and styli developments.



Detailed Review:

Product arrived and looked exactly as I expected but also came with a short string that is hooked onto the top end of the stylus (see the photo I added to the product images). At the end of the string is a plastic piece that's meant to go into the audio jack. It fits nicely and is snug enough so it won't pop out. However and in my opinion, if you attach the stylus to your iPad the stylus is going to swing around like crazy. I'd only recommend using this if you have a notebook type case for your iPad or a sleeve that you're going to put it in. The incase sleeve for the iPad is roomy enough to accommodate this stylus without a problem.



The stylus is shorter than a normal pen (again, see my photo) but I've had no problem using it (I'm a 6' male with medium sized hands). Another reviewer gave low marks on the writing quality of the stylus and I'm not so sure that it should be given such a low mark because I don't believe that it is a design or product flaw. The iPad is made for fingers and I don't believe that Apple designed the iPad to be used with a stylus and for people to write on it with such a device. Therefore, I find the stylus to be adequate but the device's accommodation of a stylus to be inadequate. When writing on the iPad I do need to press a little so that there is a larger surface area in contact with the screen. If I lightly touch the stylus then the iPad doesn't pick it up. I've use this on two apps: iAnnotate and Penultimate. It works better than my finger but the iPad still isn't quite built to support handwriting (hopefully not yet).



The tip of the stylus is made from a foam. It's density is in between that of a dish sponge and hard styrofoam. My guess is that it'll hold up pretty well as long as the tip doesn't encounter much friction with rougher surfaces (like the pockets inside of my backpack). Having said this, I'm quite disappointed that the manufacturer didn't think to or decide to add a cap to protect the tip. For 21$ I'd like a bit more bang for my buck. This is about the only shortcoming that I find with this product.



I'm glad I bought this but I'm going to be on the lookout for better styli or possibly some bluetooth type stylus/device. BoxWave Capacitive iPad Stylus (Crimson Red)

I bought a Pogo Sketch to use with my iPad and at first I was elated. However, I used the pen quite a bit with the Penultimate app. In a few weeks the tip had flattened to the point that metal was starting to scrape the screen. I then ordred this Boxwave stylus and realized that I had been eating hamburger before when I could have had steak. The Capacitive Stylus tip is much harder and will last many months (years) longer than the Pogo. The harder tip also produces less friction so it is much smoother. I have a Zagg protective screen on my iPad is it works great with it. It is kinda expensive, but in the end you'll be glad that you spent the extra money. One thing that I hope they will change is the length of the attachment cable. It is made for an iPhone (and not an iPad). One end snaps into the headphone jack as an anchor. It it were longer, it would be of great use.

I bought a Pogo Stylus to use with my new iPhone as I have long nails and cannot "type" correctly on the phone. The Pogo Stylus is okay but the tip is flattening out quickly. Upon reading a review of the (ASIN:B000ETU944 BoxWave Apple iPad Capacitive Stylus] I decided to try it and I'm glad I did. I do not have to press down as much as I did with the other stylus and I love the quality and appearance of the BoxWave. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it too! Worth the extra cost.

Update: December 12, 2010



While I originally liked this stylus, I'm already on the second one and it has just broke. The rubber tip at the bottom does not stay on if you're using it regularly like I have. It will fall off and it's very hard to get back on. Once you have gotten it back, it will not stay in place for long. I have replaced the rubber tip just to have it fall off again without me knowing it. I've gone through two of these styluses and will not be purchasing another one. I have moved on and purchased the silver and black Pogo Sketch which hasn't given me any problems yet!



******************************************************************

I have gone through a few styluses and they've all just plain sucked! I have purchased the Pogo, Dagi and several others and they all haven't met my expectations. I wanted a really nice stylus to use with my iPad and I was about to give up and just stick with using my finger until I came across this Boxwave stylus in crimson red. I decided to give it one more go around and I'm happy to say that this capacitive stylus is awesome! It's a really nice stylus. It has a soft rubber round tip and the construction is durable. I don't have to press down on the screen because it's really responsive. All I have to do is tap lightly. So far this stylus has been the best so far with drawing and sketching. I was also able to write some notes in Penultimate without any issues. It also comes with a little attachment that you can use to attach it to your iPhone or iPod. I didn't see a place where I could attach it to the iPad. I also tested it on my Blackberry Storm 2 and works just fine. It's a little pricey but totally worth it! I highly recommend purchasing this stylus over all of the others. You won't regret it!!!!



This stylus deserves more than five stars!!!! - Stylus - Ipad Accessory - Ipad Pen - Touch Screen Stylus'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information