Monday 29 November 2010

Digital Voice Recorders - field recorder, mp3 recorder


Straight to the point: If you're considering getting a digital recorder and your needs are simple, seriously consider this one.



The sound is quite phenomenal for a recorder this size and asking price. (Zoom claims the H1 has the same frequency and SPL handing as their popular H2.)



Button/switch placement is intuitive and couldn't be simpler. Need the lo-cut filter? Slide the switch in the back (and the LCD will tell you it's on). When you're ready to record, simply press the big red button on the front. When done recording, press it again. If you want to hear what you've just recorded (via the built-in speaker or the line out jack), simply push the play button on the side of the unit.



There are several functions that will prove useful including adjusting the input level manually (from 1 to 100; *really* useful for loud situations like a rock concert) and being able to actually monitor audio during recording via the line out jack.



The unit records in MP3 and Broadcast WAV formats, in many bit-depths and sample rates. (Max for WAV is 24-bit/96 kHz and 320 kbps for MP3.) Broadcast WAV functions just like any other WAV with the addition of having metadata (like time and date) stamped into the file, which is great for identifying WAVs in audio editors that support the format. The H1 allows you to place markers into WAVs during recording for easy transport/identification during playback in audio editors as well. (The H1 will also jump to these markers while in playback mode should you push the "<<" or ">>" buttons during playback.)



File transfer to your computer is quite fast. (For comparison's sake, the H1 uses Hi-speed USB 2.0 versus the H2's Full-speed USB 2.0. In layman's terms, the H1 is quicker than the H2 file-transfer wise.) The unit is firmware-upgradable. (Mine came with version 1.02; there isn't a newer version as of this review at Zoom's Web site.)



I knew that the H1 was small but I wasn't exactly prepared for how small. If you were to lay your palm flat, the H1 would fit inside it with room to spare. (I have average-sized hands.)



The H1 is so light even with one AA battery that it feels delicate. I wouldn't suggest banging it around. There's a connector for a wrist strap at the bottom of the unit (near the speaker) so if you're concerned about dropping the H1, it might be worth your while to connect a strap.



The cover to the microSD card slot can come open with just a nudge which might annoy you while handing the H1. (I should also note the cover is made of a hard plastic but looks like it might come off and break with enough force; just be careful as you open it.) The tripod mounting joint is also made of plastic so you might not want to overtighten when mounting the H1. Like most recorders, the H1's sensitive mics are prone to handling noise.



There doesn't seem to be any way of recording in mono; it would have to be done post-production.



Get the H1 Accessory Pack as well but also get a RedHead windscreen (or similar) to boot; the included windscreen in the Accessory Pack is great for voice/plosives and all but horrible for wind noise (which is not surprising since it's a foam windscreen). One needs more to baffle the wind only a "dead cat" type windscreen can provide.



I know I forgot things but I wanted to make this as concise as possible, pros and cons. It's simply a great recorder and I was not disappointed.



UPDATED EDIT: Since my initial review, two months have passed by, so I thought I'd give my updated thoughts. There are some reports that the H1 is draining batteries faster than normal even while the H1 is off. This is obviously not in every unit as I do not have this issue. (I had mine since official release, which was August 20, 2010.) A quick way to find if you have a defective H1 is to simply check the battery within a day. If it's quite low or no battery power, contact Samson (in the U.S.) and let them know.



There are users who claim that the H1 is shoddily built. My challenge to that is, What were you expecting for $99 USD? Gold? As I said in my review, the H1 is so darned light with a battery in it it's hard to not think of it as delicate. Is it so shoddy that users who are careful with their electronics shouldn't pick it up? Oh, heck no. It's not like the H1's casing is made of plastic that's so pliable it's pathetic. It feels solid enough at least in my hand.



Obviously, if your needs put you in a situation where durability is a concern, the H1 might not be for you. I would think this was common sense all things considered.



Of course, a note on the sound: It is quite superb. I've done (far) more than a bunch of recordings already and there are times where I have to check to see if what I'm hearing is coming from my monitors or in the real world. (I thought someone was presently mowing their lawn off in the distance when, in fact, they were not.) It's that good.



One last thing: At the top of the H1 page here on Amazon, you'll see a "Frequently Bought Together" section, which includes a 16 GB SD card. ***DO NOT BUY THIS*** as the H1 takes microSD cards, not SD cards. (microSD cards are much smaller (about the size of your pinky nail) and usually come with a SD card adapter.) What you want is something like this: Transcend 4 GB microSDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS4GUSDHC6E. You can, of course, use the 2 GB microSD card that comes with the H1 if your needs don't require a huge amount of memory to record on. Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder

I had the Zoom H2 for years and loved it. One day, I plugged in the wrong AC adaptor and fried the unit. ugh!



I was familiar with the H2 and was comfortable with it but its tiny screen was hard for me to read and it took quite a bit of time for me to get used to the interfacing.



The H1 is simple and having the controls on the device make it far more user friendly. It is tiny, smaller than I thought, which is great.



The sound quality is equal to the Q3, though this tiny unit feels fragile compared to the Q3. The plastic concerns me as I'm not sure it will hold up well. The Q3 feels more solid. I don't have a professional musician's ear, but the sound quality seemed to me to equal the recordings I have done with the H2. The "cd quality" sound is what I got when recording guitar, harmonica and vocals.



Other reviewers have wisely recommended the protective case and the mics are highly sensitive. The lo-cut feature (just a switch) nicely cuts out background noise.



Strangely, the unit is not made well for standing up straight. If you use the H2 platform, for instance, it means laying the H1 on its side. However, for best recording, Zoom recommends aiming the microphones directly towards the subject.



The mics appear to have a little "give" to them, as they wiggle slightly, and the plastic dome that covers them does not appear strong. This concerns me.



The door that opens for the microcard is very fragile and I thought I broke it the first time I opened it. I plan to leave it alone and not swap cards but transfer songs via interface. Handle with care; or as another reviewer said; put in the card and leave it alone. That is my plan.



With these issues addressed, the bottom line is the wonderful Zoom recording quality for a great price, with user friendly controls that can be learned in under 10 minutes. For guitar, piano, vocals, recording bands, bluegrass jams, etc, it seems to sound as nice as the H2 did, without the complex interface. If the unit was just a bit sturdier (like the protection of the mics), it would be a 5 star recorder. The audio sound is 5 star quality. - Field Recorder - Digital Voice Recorders - Mp3 Recorder - Digital Voice Recorder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information