Tuesday 30 November 2010

Organic Gardening - organic gardening, gardening


I have been gardening for 40 years and have read hundreds of articles and books on gardening. This one is "hands down" the

best one I have read. Markham takes complex topics and explains them in plain english. For example, I now know exactly how to modify soil Ph with specific products in specific measure. I understand how each element influences the equation and why using a variety of soil amendments is advisable. I finally understand the value of Boron in plant physiology with smart ways to apply it. I now "get it" about what bio-char is, how to make it, and why it is important to my soil. I finally understand exactly why deep roto-tilling actually hurts the soil even though it "looks good" in the garden. Thank you Brett! Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre

I felt like this book was more of a coffee table picture book than a helpful guide to getting started on self sufficiency. There is plenty of information in the pages, but it's all in block paragraphs that run together. I'd have to go through with highlighter and sticky notes to mark it if I wanted to find anything again.



I much preferred The Backyard Homestead. It had much more easily referenced information and more user-friendly instructions, both written and illustrated. Definitely check Mini Farming out of your library to make sure its the choice for you before you invest in it.

I saw this book and knew I had to have it. Not only does this book contain in depth details about gardening, food preservation, raising chickens, and a plethora of recipes and other topics, it also contains oodles of full color beautiful pictures that show step by step instructions for some things, as well as pictures to admire. A very gorgeous and well put together book that I will use as a reference for years and years to come. A must have!

This was just a really well done book. I liked they way Markham wrote and he explained things well. I had started a few years ago with the Square Foot Gardening and we had good success with it. But I wanted to expand it and in reality couldn't POSSIBLE afford the expense of the planting mixture Bartholomew suggest so came up with my own. So I also started to consider expanding the 4x4 squares to a wide 32" row and the length of the garden area, but still keep the intense planting for the benefits. And low and behold here's Markham writing about it and giving tips on accomplishing it. He doesn't hide behind the fact hat it's work to get those rows started. Double digging rows SUCKS! And he expresses that as well. It makes me feel better doing it when I read others agree it's hard work but needs to be done.



Having the background he does Markham is VERY anal and exact on his numbers for what's needed and the amounts. He has done FANTASTIC job of researching articles and books and brings them together. So this book is actually a wealth of knowledge from other sources. The Bibliography in the back is a GREAT resource as well.



I had considered the soil blocks from my seedlings in the past but never thought the expense was worth it. But he brings to light the whole world of it and also a link to an article on the Internet that will then lead you to other areas on the Internet for research of this subject. My point being: You learning doesn't have to stop with JUST reading this book. He shows you a path to follow that will lead you on your own research.



Markham incorporates a lot of other known farmer/writers works into his daily workings. It's something (with all the reading I've done of those others) being work towards. But he's actually DONE it and IS doing it. These are two VERY important factors for someone wondering if they can all put it together. If all these different ideas CAN be incorporated into a bigger whole.



I would recommend this book as wonderful addition to the homesteader/self-sufficient home library!

I found this book very interesting and hard to put down, which is pretty amazing for me. I bought this book after becoming more and more interested in the possibility of homesteading. The author did a great job on writing the book in a way that wasn't boring. If your looking for a complete guide this book is probably not for you, but I feel like this would make a great addition or start to any small library on farming.

An indispensible book.



Mr. Markham has tried the methods out there today -- French Intensive, Biodynamic, Square Foot, etc -- and puts together the most productive hybrid of them while interjecting some rather excellent observations on efficacy, variances due to climate, etc. For instance, the cost of raising one person's yearly ration of wheat would eat up thousands of dollars of possible revenue, cultivated land, and work hours. Instead, spend $50 or so dollars for preground organic wheat and buy a breadmaker... and you'll still come out ahead.



The different approach to the standard how-to technique book is marvelous for all levels of experience. Comprehensive explanations of subjects such as how to journal are excellent for everyone. More research is suggested through extensive footnotes to books, studies, and resources. Excellent comparisons of techniques and careful record keeping are summarized, supporting every point and conclusion.

I have been an organic gardener for over twenty years. This is a coffee table book. The information is solid enough there just isn't that much of it. If you live in the Northeast, as I do, the seed starting table and plant-out dates are useful if you don't already know the procedure. The book covers the high points of back yard sufficiency gardening but there is little detail and a lot of space devoted to calculations that could be done on the back of an envelope. The font size is big and the pages are thick. This book might be okay for those who are not sure if they want to start back-yard gardening but it is not for those who already know what they are doing. - Gardening - Organic Gardening - Organic Farming - Country Life'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information