Monday 29 November 2010

Surveillance Cameras - home security, night vision


Overall, this is a great system. I was impressed with the reception and the graphics. That being said, I had to return it for two reasons. 1) The system did not come with a remote control. I called Lorex customer service and they can easily take care of that. 2) Although the system is described as an indoor/outdoor system, it is NOT weatherproof. I always thought that if a surveillance system was outdoor, it could withstand the weather. When I called customer service about this, they pointed out that the lens cannot get wet, otherwise it may not work correctly. In addition, there can be no moisture allowed into the system itself. I only discovered this after hooking up the system.

Just keep in mind that although it is a good sytem, it is NOT waterproof. Lorex LIVE SD7 Wireless Digital Security System

I got this system from Costco for $299.99. Works great right out of the box. Good range on the cameras. Mine are 60 feet or so apart on opposite sides of the house and I get good reception anywhere inside on the receiver. Night vision range is better then expected. I'm not using the audio feature, so I can't comment on it. I want to add two more cameras, but there $170 each from Lorex, so it's cheaper to buy a second system from Costco and keep the second receiver as a backup. Upgrade to a 16 GB card ($35 on Amazon) and get 24 hours of video recording.

I am a retired Techno-Geek, a geezer-geek if you will. I have purchased and installed many systems in my time, but from a very good performance vs. very easy installation vs. good value basis, this is one excellent little system. A lot of good thought has gone into designing it, and it worked perfectly upon installation. Someone in one review complained of the blurry camera - but the cams come with a protective plastic film over the lense ;-)



This little rig has a nifty little remote that will allow you to select motion record or continious record, and all of the functions - this is very cool. The system took me about 15 minutes to get turned on to check the functions of everything, and another 2 or 3 hours to select the position of the cameras at the back and front of the house. Once positioned, all I had to do was to plug them in and turn them on.



The only complaint I MIGHT have is, I would like to see the camera power cables a foot or two longer to help with camera placement. I will be extending one cable my self. Perhaps Lorex could sell or include one EXTENTION power cable of about two feet in length. T



he audio speaker is not very loud, nor is the alarm. It won't wake you up from a sound sleep, but if you are in your office working, it will let you know that the UPS person is at the door. A main key to this system is "how very, very simple it is to set up and install to get good results."



Camera to screen (I love the little screen on my night table) range is about 50 to 75 feet. Yeah, we would all love to have a cam to screen range of 300 to 1,000 ft, but that is beyond the ability of most technology right not. This is a good little home/light commercial system. I plan to get another one for my wife's business.

I hope this helps.

This wireless camera system includes a 7" LCD monitor and 2 cameras with sound pickup (expandable to 4 cameras) for $290. It transmits over 2.4 GHz and the transmission is digital over a reliable data channel so it doesn't suffer from the interference problems common with analog transmitters. The wireless transmission seemed robust and is by far the best I've seen of anything in this price range.



It records to an SD card and has some night vision capabilities (using IR LED's in the cameras). It also has a PIR motion sensor in the cameras so can record on motion. The motion triggering is somewhat buggy though as I found it will record for the preset time period (5/15/30 seconds) after detecting motion, but will not continue to record past that period even if there is still motion occurring. Not ideal, but still usable. It has a function to allow automatic overwriting of the oldest recordings on the SD card.



It also has a 2 way intercom mode between a camera and the LCD display. It's convenient to run the cameras and/or display from portable power as the display is powered from 5V and the cameras from 9V.



The problems I found (in no particular order):



(1) It causes intermittent interference with my logitech wireless mouse which uses the same 2.4 GHz band.

(2) There is color distortion such as visible with the white colored trees (that are actually green).

(3) Night vision capabilities are meager, but the best I've seen for anything in this price range.

(4) The resolution is supposedly 640 x 480, but the picture noise is high enough that it is roughly equivalent to decent quality 320x240



Overall, it's a good usable system for the price, but the image quality is lackluster, especially at night. And the image quality is marginal (at best) for identifying perpetrators though it's still the best I've seen in this price range. - Night Vision - Security Camera - Home Security - Complete Surveillance Systems'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information