Monday 29 November 2010

Garmin Forerunner - garmin forerunner, running


I got a 305 a few years ago, and needed a replacement when the display started dying.

The 305 had obvious usability issues, mostly because it was very clearly not designed by athletes. Unfortunately, the 310xt is just as bad in that respect, and the unit didn't last more than a few months. I own the watch, the heart rate strap, and the foot pod.



My old $50 heart rate monitor did a much better job at letting me know whether my pulse was in range or not than my 310xt (or 305).



My wish list is pretty simple...



When running, I want to know, without looking at the device:

- Whether my heart rate is too high, too low, or in range. Simple, easily identifiable chirps for too high and too low would do.

- Whether my pace is too high, too low, or in range

- Whether my cadence is too high, too low, or in range

- I don't want to be bothered by transients; the watch knows I just turned a corner, so give me a few seconds to reach my goal pace before beeping.

- If my heart rate is high, and my pace low, don't bother me about that unless my cadence is low, too.

- Use GPS data to control my pace and cadence; I'm not going to keep a steady pace on a trail that has steep gradients. It's OK if I have to hit a button when I get to the peak or start a climb. But don't make me dive into a menu to lower my pace goal.

- I don't want to be told my heart rate is too low when I just started running; clearly it's already rising rapidly, so there is no need for the watch to bother me about it.

- When I'm having a bad day, let me lower my goals without having to stop to do it. A long press on the down button would do.



In my experience, the 305 is a better product than the 310. It uses a wired connection instead of an ANT stick, so it's much faster. The software is better for runners, especially the quick workout. Add that it's cheaper, and there really is no reason to get the 310 if you're not planning to swim. Garmin Forerunner 310xt Trainer Wrist Watch Waterproof GPS Multi Sport Garmin Newest Model - Training - Garmin Forerunner - Running'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information