Tuesday 30 November 2010

Jewelry Making


We have several boxes of these Melissa And Doug bead sets b/c we just can't get enough of them! My three children (twin boys - one girl) love to sit and make necklaces over and over again! YES! My boys love this too!!! It's a great exercise for their fine motor skills! The patience they have all developed to sit and string these small beads together is wonderful! It's great practice for them as they create different patterns with each new necklace. I suggest getting a few boxes - especially if you have more than one child playing with them at the same time. Our favorite set includes letters so they can each spell out their own name or other words.



**Not suggested for small children who will mistake them for pieces of candy. Melissa & Doug Flower Power Wooden Bead Set

My 5 year old daughter has strung many a cheap plastic bead in her day but these cheerfully painted wood beads are much prettier and sophisticated than the usual tacky plastic ones. With this kit she made 3 long necklaces for herself with some of the product left over.



For young children this is a great craft to build fine motor skills. This also became an educational opportunity when I started teaching her the words "pattern," "symmetry" and "asymmetry."



One evening when helping my daughter choose which bead to use next we compared sides and made a symmetrical patterned necklace. Then on her own she said she was going to make an asymmetrical pattern. All the necklaces turned out beautifully.



The packaging of this bead set is very attractive and would make a great birthday or Christmas gift especially for a girl. The price nice too.

My 3 yr old, loves strings and anything that is "so pretty". This product covers both of those things. It entertains her for long periods, and she loves to share it with her cousins. I plan on purchasing more of these products in the future.

I gifted this set to my niece and she was overjoyed.

Not to mention she used her creativity to put together beautiful necklaces, although the first one she made, she gifted to her dad.

However I do caution that this set is not for children below 3 yrs, since there is a risk that they might pop the beads in their mouths.

I would recommend adult supervision.

Bought 2 of these kits to keep a very antsy 4 year old entertained at a grownups Thanksgiving table - and it did exactly that! She played with it for ages, making and remaking necklaces for the adults and herself with little need for our help (which meant we could enjoy a leisurely meal!). Colours and patterns of the beads were really cute as well, and the storage box kept things nice and tidy. Only slight disappointment was that several of the beads broke in half with normal usage - but this is truly a minor issue.

This review will begin with my own experiences with these beads, and later will include opinions of it as a toy from the perspective of a childless person. I have started the new hobby of beading. This kit includes beads I can use for making jewelry. The only disadvantage of them for jewelry making is the holes are very large in the beads. (This would be an advantage to children, I would think.) I have solved the problem of the big holes by either knotting stringing material and slipping the beads over the knots, or inserting a smaller bead inside the wooden one.



I was pleased with the quality of the materials and the value for the cost. (The wooden box alone is worth half the cost of the kit.) The colors are very bright and the beads are smooth.



The strings included with this kit are like thin shoestrings. They would be very easy for a child to handle, I would think. They can be "un-knotted" when a child is ready for a change in pattern.

I bought this bead set for my 5yr old daughter. The beads are nice and the cords are easy to string. She has enjoyed making necklaces and taking them apart. This is definately a good toy for a kid who will enjoy sitting and stringing beads.

I just sent this to a friend's almost-6-year-old as an early birthday present. I got immediate rave reviews from her mom, who said she had just enjoyed an hour of quiet while the 6 year old and her younger almost-3-year old sister made necklaces together without any fighting!

Melissa and Doug flower bead set are a great toy for children to play with and be creative. I bought this for my 6 year old granddaughter but my 3 year old grandson had just as much fun with the set. There were enough beads for both of them to make a bracelet and a necklace and the beads were big enough that I wasn't worried about the 3 year old putting them into his mouth. We spent about 3 hours one afternoon with this and the kids had a lot of fun.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information