Monday 29 November 2010

Survival Knife - folding, knife


The blade is very sharp, and strong. I have been pretty ruff with this thing and the edge hasn't gotten a knick in it that required enough work to remove to say so. The opening mechanism on this knife is about as close to an automatic as you can get. Just push down on the lever and it flicks open or with a flick of the thumb on the stud. It opens very fast. Faster than any of the SOG's that I have(Flash, Twitch, Trident, Pentagon Elite). The size is perfect for one hand operation, open and close it in less than 2 seconds. It is very well made and quite substantial, being heavier than many other knives that I have which lends well to the glass breaking stud on the end. I prefer the lever lock mechanism on this knife to other systems as it is easier to close one handed requiring less and more natural movements. I also have the tanto blade version of this knife and it is top knotch as well. These knives are worth substantially more than their asking price, in design, quality, and durability. Smith & Wesson SWMP5LS M&P Linerlock Knife with 2nd Generation MAGIC Assisted Open and 40% Serrated Drop Point Blade

To start, I would like to say this is a fine peice of sharpened metal. I mean, EXTREMELY, sharp. Now, I have only had it for a little while, so I'm not sure on how well it will stay sharp over time or how well it keeps up, but straight out of the box, it is fantastic.



Pros:



Very Sharp

serrated blade for those that want one

"Open Assist", but dont cut yourself like I did

Has a lock, so it wont open on accident and stab your leg

Grip is awesome

Cool rugged look



Cons:



Very Heavy, if you cant cut someone with it (if you had to) you can always throw it at them!

I bought this knife roughly a month ago, and I can say with some confidence that this is one of the best knives u can get out there when balancing price and quality. This knife should cost over a hundred, maybe more. Incredibly sturdy, i am very rough with this blade and handle, and thee only negative effect so far is that the black has scratched on the edge of the blade itself. Expected. and the scratcing is minimal. Remains as sharp as the day i bought it. ive dropped this thing tens of feet on to stone, metal, wood, and it remains perfectly unharmed. aside from functionality, it simply looks elegant. Almost all black, tastefully curved, it would be great for a collector even. Very easy to use, becomes second nature after a bit of use. Buy this, u will not be disappointed.

I loved the knife when I first got it. It was sharp beautiful. I played around with it a bit at first but did not use it much. I did notice that the release on the side of the knife and the locking mechanism were made of plastic and that worried me.



Summer came around and I started my summer job working on boats. I chose this knife to bring with me every day. I soon noticed that the locking switch did not want to stay locked. It would unlock randomly in my pocked or when the knife was clipped on my belt. Within a month the opening switch on the side broke and stopped working, and shortly there after the lock stopped working all together. Plastic has no business being a part of a knife unless you are using it to spread cream cheese.



I now have a semi useless and unsafe knife.



I would recommend this knife to anyone looking for a knife for light use, but if you are looking for a knife that can withstand any amount of abuse DO NOT BUY THIS KNIFE!

I recently purchased this knife from Amazon looking to replace another knife that was under preforming. I looked at a number of different manufactures and models and decided on this one for a number of reason; The S&W MAGIC deployment system looked impressive, the build looked very sturdy, it had the largest blade out of the M&P series I could find and according to other reviews from various websites it was in general a very well made knife and 30$ was a steal. I've only just got it, but I'll give you my initial reactions to it. Before I get into the knife specs I'd just like to say the shipping was amazing at the very least, I got it with the free super shipping and was expecting to have to wait because I bought it on a Sunday, but it arrived the next day. I was very impressed.



Pros

-Solid, its a rather heavy knife, but not too bulky and seems well built, like no screws are going to come loose on me which has been a problem in the past.

-The safety lock is very nice, it has enough retention to stay in either the open or closed position (which is a problem with some of the other models) without slipping but moves smoothly back and forth. It when in safety if the knife is closed it won't spring open, but if the knife is open and the safety is on it acts as a secondary lock keeping the blade open.

-The MAGIC assist system is fantastic, the blade flicks right open using either the ambidextrous thumb studs or the finger trigger (although I prefer the trigger). It closes easily and is above all FAST, it's about the closest thing I've seen to a switch blade while still being legal.

-When the blade is open there is no play side to side or back and forth and the locking bar is stable. It's not as centered as I'd like but it holds the blade securely which is the most important.

-The blade came rather sharp, not razor shave-your-arm-hair sharp, but slices quite nicely.

-The handle is comfortable, fits nicely in your hand and the finger wells let you either hold it back towards the end or choke up on it. It also has rubberized grips that gives it a nice feel.

-The clip is pretty stiff but slides on and off a belt well. Its positioned for right handed people and so that if it were hanging the blade would open down pointing to the ground.

-Overall a stylish and attractive knife in my opinion.



Cons

-The steel (4034) isn't the highest of quality, it's still stainless and I don't know how well it'll take an edge yet, but it's about the only knock on an otherwise very well made knife and it isn't much of one.



The knife also features a glass breaker but I have no idea how well that works



For me this was an excellent purchase and I'd recommend it to anyone else whose looking for a heavier tactical knife. I'll try to update this review in a bit after I determine how well it sharpens.



UPDATE: The knife takes a nice edge fairly easily and keeps it relatively well. - Magic - Smith And Wesson - Folding - Knife'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information