Thursday 27 October 2011

Baby And Childcare - baby food grinder, baby food


I registered for this because I remembered my mom grinding my "baby" sister's food 20+ years ago. I figured it could not hurt to have.

My little one is almost 1 year old and still doesn't have teeth. She gums things very well, but meats are a little harder to tear apart. (Note, this was great when we started solids... it mashed bananas and took the strings out of sweet potatoes to give them a smoother texture than just mashing with a fork.) We're introducing her to meats slowly, and anytime I've tried to give her canned commercial meats, she has scoffed at them and pushed them away. Well, tonight she eyed my pork chop jealously, as if her cooked mixed veggies were not enough. I ground up between 1-2 ounces and added some water to it to smooth the texture, and she LOVED it. She could have eaten more, but she had plenty to eat in addition to the meat. Although it took a little longer to grind the meat, I did so sufficiently.



This grinder washes up well.. I rinse it off, take it apart, and throw it in the dishwasher. I have had no problems with this grinder. It does it's job as well as I would expect any non-electrical grinder to work. I wish I had the tote, but a ziplock baggie works fine.



I would also like to add that I had to contact Kidco's customer service regarding finding replacement hardware for a baby gate, and they were prompt and professional. KidCo Food Mill

This isn't the best for babies under 6months... it doesn't get foods as smooth as the step 1 foods you buy in the store. But keeping that in mind...



This comes in very handy. I started grinding foods in this with my 6 month old. It is easier for me to grind some food for him right at the table so he can eat some of the things we are eating, rather than prepare and store his food in advance.



I decided that one isn't enough. I prefer to run things through the dishwasher so they are more sterilized than washing by hand and I tend to use this for two meals a day. I don't like to feel pressed to load and run the dishwasher before dinner... It usually isn't a problem, but things are hectic at times. Its also nice to have one clean for traveling.

A tip - we mix whatever we're having for dinner, and if it's too dry or doesn't grind well, we add some cottage cheese. It helps it go through the grinder, and makes it stick together so it's easier to handle the food.

I notice one review found the unit hard to disassemble. It *is* a little confusing at first (you unscrew the knob at the top and the crank fits on a spline, which is counterintuitive), but once you get the hang of it I found it to be straightforward. We have never bought any baby food (have you ever tasted that stuff?) and always gave our daughter what we were having, including all the spicy stuff! Now she is a great eater and shies away from very few foods.

This mill is too weak to puree anything but the softest of foods, and it's much easier and faster just to mash those with a fork. For anything of any substance (including very well-cooked broccoli, very well-cooked carrots), the mill just pushes the food down and extracts liquids and I end up using the Cuisinart instead. Also, the design is such that it is very easy to spill food all over the counter as you attempt to remove/add food to the mill. I've had this food mill for 5 months, hoping to use it every day, but have found it so disappointing I have only used 3 or 4 times. Definitely a waste of money. - Food Mill - Feeding Baby - Baby Food - Baby Food Grinder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information