Wednesday 26 October 2011

Hearing Protection


Put these on and turn on your shop vac and you will be amazed how much noise reduction these earmuffs provides. In addition, the ear pieces are very soft and extremely comfortable. Wear them to be near any machinery or mowing your lawn and your ears will thank you.

Peltor Earmuffs # H10A



I own several brands of earmuff hearing protectors, since I use so many loud tools. The Peltor's are the best in every category, which is why I own several. The soft ear pieces are the most comfortable, they are light, they are high quality, they block almost all sound, and they are adjustable for head size. Wearing glasses is not an issue with these, as they contour themselves over the temples.



I wear them when breaking a pool rack (e.g., eight ball), because with wooden floors, that's really LOUD. I use them in the yard when running lawn equipment and put them on every time I use a loud shop tool such as a table saw. The real test is using a palm nailer in a confined space, which is a so loud, that your hearing could be damaged without protection.



Unquestionably a 5-star product!

The Peltor H10A Hearing Protector ear muffs really do the job! I ordered them to help eliminate the annoying whine of my computer tower. You know the kind of sound...very slight, but so high-pitched it goes straight to your ear drums and drills a hole till you can't STAND it anymore!! Why am I SHOUTING!? Well, you can see how I had to do something to preserve my sanity.



I received the Peltor set and man, oh man, does it eliminate sound!! What pc whine? What pc! This headset completely elimates those little sounds that drive you crazy. I recommend it for those who have noisy neighbors or roommates, barking dogs, drippy faucets, etc. It is amazing. Loud noises can still be heard, so the headset does not interfere with normal life and is not a safety hazard. They are comfortable on the ears, are fairly lightweight, and fit very(!) snugly.



If you can't concentrate due to small, annoying noises, you would probably benefit from using this headset. The price is very reasonable, considering the benefits.

This product significantly reduces the noise reaching my ears.



I wear these earmuffs three to seven hours a day while performing technical work in an industrial area where vacuum cleaners, air hoses, high frequency whines/squeals from electronic equipment, and boom boxes (why these people want to add to the noise level defies comprehension) are common.



It is impossible to carry on a conversation while wearing this product; you cannot hear what anyone is saying unless they shout, and even then, it is difficult to understand them.



I considered noise cancellation headphones, but rejected them because most of the annoying noises in my workspace are percussive, impact-type noises of a non-repeating nature. Noise cancellation headphones work best with steady-state noises.



Although the earmuff is a bit snug (lots of pressure against the side of my head), I am reluctant to spread the earmuffs apart for fear of decreasing the excellent sound deadening ability of the product. In addition, my ears are somewhat large for the available space inside the earmuff. I compensate for these "problems" by making frequent small adjustments in the earmuff's position on my head.



I highly recommend the Peltor H10A earmuff. I own a 17db Peltor product that I use while mowing the lawn, and fully intent to replace them with the 30db version.

I won't reiterate what others have said, but just make a couple pertinent points:



You're likely comparing (and if not, you should) this Peltor headset along with the top=of-the-line Bilsom: the Bilsom Thunder T3 is the best constructed headphone/ear protection I own. A have several by Peltor, and the one most comparable to the T3 is the Peltor H10A. The Peltor is not as well made; the over-head piece on the T3 is much better--it actually clicks into place and does not move. The Peltors are all wire, and move easily. I would say, if many people are going to use same headset (such as different shifts at a worksite), Peltor might be better as it's easily adjusted by just sliding on the wire. The T3 are better at a single set for your head size and it does not move.



The Peltor H10A might actually be a tad more comfortable for my head hat size at 7 3/4. The T3 is tight, and cannot be adjusted out for looseness. I'd rather wear the Peltor H10A for a protracted period of time than the Bilsom T3. If my head were smaller, I think the T3 would be fine.



The Bilsom T3 blocks sound better than any Peltor I have owned (I have owned about three models of Peltors). It's as simple as that.



Both have, because of the larger ear cup size (compared to lower profile, usually less protective for hearing, models) the ability to keep your head straight when dozing on an airplane. You know how people use the cervical neck pillow U-shaped things so they won't kink their neck to one side when they sleep on a plane? Well, you won't need that with a high-profile larger cup size sound protection like these---they stick out from your head enough that you will sleep with head straight ahead regardless. This is a "plus". And no need the lousy "noise cancellation" headsets for six times the price, plus batteries to charge, etc. These are great for air flight.



The Bilsom T3 is slightly wider on each ear cup than the Peltor H10A. Both, however, are not good to wear around your neck when not in use. The ear cups are too large and they will hit your chin. If you plan to wear and remove to "dangle" around your neck, like a rifleman might, you;d better stick with the lower-profile "shooter" type headsets...these are too wide. They will hit your chin, unless you have a super long neck.



The weight of each is about the same. I'd give the nod to the Bilsom for sound protection capability and quality of build (the wire overhead piece on Peltors can get stretched or bent--no chance with Bilsom) over the Peltor high-end models, having owned both. But, with my head size at 7 3/4, and certainly if your noggin is larger than mine, you'd better stick with Peltor. The wire can be bent to accomodate the jumbo cranium better than Bilsom. Thanks. Hope this helps you.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information