Wednesday 26 October 2011

Remote Control - media center, media center remote


I just started using this remote this morning, but so far it's working exactly how I want it to work. I had to install 3rd party software to get it to control anything other than media center, but I found a free program that works really well -- I would have given this remote 5 stars if it had come with the ability to control other programs.



It installed itself automatically in just a few seconds (windows vista home premium 64bit OS). The signal strength is great - the receiver seems more than sensitive enough.



As is, the remote is only set up to work for windows media center. The directional arrows have some functionality in windows, but it's not enough to control anything. The remote doesn't give you any control over any of the individual buttons, which is annoying. It doesn't even include a button to exit media center once you're in it - you can put the pc in standby, and you can turn the monitor off/on, but you can't exit media center. I guess this makes sense, considering they apparently don't think this remote will be used in any other application.



However, this was easy enough to fix this with 3rd party software. I'm currently running a program called EventGhost, which has allowed me to set up the remote to control other programs, as well as other options (such as exiting media center). It took a little while for me to figure out how to use it, but now it all makes sense. Once I got the 3rd party software all figured out, the remote became exactly what I want in a PC remote.



The design of the remote seems fine to me. No backlighting, but not such a big deal to me. I also set up my harmony 670 universal remote without much trouble. The only issue I had was finding the manufacturer in the harmony remote software (although this is a problem with the harmony software, not this media center remote) -- MediaGate is what it says on the remote and in the description on amazon, but my logitech harmony software didn't have mediagate in the list of manufacturers. I went through the wizard for a manufacturer not listed, and it came up with "AL Tech GP-IR01BK", which appears to be correct (at least all the correct functions were listed). Also, newegg's description of the exact same remote indicates it is made by a company called "AVS Gear." Anyway, once I got the harmony program to find the correct remote, everything from that point on was easy.



Anyway -- so far so good! I'll modify my review if it suddenly stops working. I'm planning on upgrading to windows 7 in the next few weeks, so hopefully it still works after that. Noah Company MediaGate GP-IR01BK 1-Channel IR Windows Vista Media Center Remote Control and Receiver (Black)

I purchased this item for use with my Logitech Harmony 1100 remote. It was to replace another remote (model IR02BK) by this same company when the "pause" button failed to work. On that remote I was informed through a company email that the problem was caused by a production control problem. They provided me a return authorization.



Since I could not be without a working remote, before I returned the IR02BK, I ordered the IR01BK as a replacement. Unfortunately, the pause button did not work on that remote either. Last night, after about five weeks of use, the IR01BK stopped working at all.



Since the RMA was issued, emails to the company have been ignored, including my request for a phone number so that we could try to resolve these issues. For those who wish to contact the company, based upon the RMA address, the product appears to have been distributed by Media Gate (Anyware Computer Accessories) in Baldwin Park, CA. Their phone number is 626-330-2203.



I have given up on trying to make either of the two remotes work. I will now temporarily reinstall the IR02BK and look for a remote with a better reliability history.

I have a difficult time believing this remote doesn't work for some people. I have the IR hooked to a 30ft extender usb cable and works perfectly. In fact, it works better than perfect. I can aim anywhere in my white wall living room and this thing registers every time. The remote is very sleek looking; however, I am using a Boston TSU-501 Universal Learning Remote. Codes all "learned" correctly, and I can still point my Boston Remote anywhere in the room and it registers. I am using this remote with ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 and iTunes without a flaw, (no programming required). FYI: I am not running Windows Media Center; I am running HP p6230y AMD Phenom(tm) IIX4 810 Processor 2.60 GHz with on-board factory ATI RS880 graphics card. Windows 7 64-bit, with ESET NOD Security, projecting Blu-Ray Discs running at 1080p to a 56" DLP Samsung. Zero issues so far. Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks for a great and usable product.

Love this remote but I am really using it with my Logitech Harmony 880. I use the name "Anyware GP-IR01BK" as the name for my Harmony to recognize. Anyware GP-IR01BK is also on Harmony database.



Now my Harmony 880 is happily controlling my Dell Zino Windows 7 Media Center. It even puts the PC to sleep when pressing the off button on the 880. Wakes it up too. Very impressive product.



As a side note, I am using Wins 7 Media Center with MediaBrowser and it is fantastic. I am a die hard Apple fan, but Windows 7 MCE is addressing all my multimedia needs for the TV at the moment. - Media Center - Media Center Remote - Remote Control - Htpc'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information