Thursday 27 October 2011

Home Network - netgear, switch


I just purchased this switch for a home network just hoping to solve some router issues. I ordered it from work so I could not recall if my 3 year old Dells would do Gigabit or not.



Sure enough they did and this thing just works like a champ and no fan noise like some competetive brands. The transfer speeds are exceptional.



The manual completely left out the meaning of the LED colors. A quick web search answered the question.

Green - 1000

Yellow - 10/100 NETGEAR GS605NA Giga Switch 5Port

I bought one of these units several months ago because I was constantly moving 500MB to 6GB MPG files between several of my regular computers and my DVRs and moving files this large takes quite a while at 100Mb. I hoped Gb speeds would help a lot. I did some timing and I was able to obtain about 3x shorter transfer times on my local LAN with everything connected to the Gb switch. My problem was that my house was already wired with CAT 5 cable and Gb ethernet really requires CAT 5e cable to get consistent speed. With my CAT 5 cabling, the speed was very intermittent--one time much faster and not the next.



I know this review should be about this product itself and so I'll say it's a fine product and I'll probably buy another one when I finally decide to re-wire my house. But inexpensive unmanaged switches like this are commodity products and this one is not a whole lot different than any other so I just buy whatever is cheapest.



Just make sure you have CAT 5e or CAT 6 cabling before going to Gigabit and expecting Gigabit speed.

I've got two of these on my home network, serving a couple of Gigabit Ethernet based Macs, a TiVO and a host of audio and video gear and they've always performed perfectly. Great design, great value and excellent performance.

In a time where the choice of cheap 5-port, desktop, GigE switches is plentiful, this one stands out for one simple reason: exterior design. It looks good enough to show off anywhere, and the vertical stand is a great desk-space-saver, something that becomes handier every day.



The only case where you wouln't buy this model would be if you need Jumbo Frame support -- but that's something 99% of people with a SOHO setup can't even use (because your standard router for Internet access won-t support it...). So why bother?



Definitely my favorite in this price range and feature set. Highly recommended.

Great product. I have it uplinked to my Verizon Westell Versalink DSL Modem so I can have my 2 gigabit servers communicate at 1000mbps vs 100 mbps. The GS605 has not degraded my performance at all !!!!!!



Fantastic switch. Only negative is that I should have gotten the 8 port switch instead. Oh well !!! I'll wait for the next good deal.

I am able to transfer 350 megs of backup files over the network in seconds. The speed of gigabit is more than twice the speed of USB 2.0 (480 megabits.) It is an easy no-brainer install. Just plug in the switch, connect the cables and zoom. The whole process of installing the switch takes just about 30 seconds. I have converted two networks over to gigabit without a hitch or problem. You will also need to purchase the gigabit network card GA311 (about $25) for each computer. Installing the cards was easy and quick as well. It would be nice to have a gigabit router but the switch is awesome.

I've had mine for 6 months. No problems. For this price, don't expect to get supports for Jumbo frame rates. My bandwidth increased from approx. 25 Mbps (with a linksys 100 Mbps switch) to approx 250 Mbps (with this switch). I'm very happy with a 5X speed increase. I'm using cat 6 cable.

I have the Apple Airport Extreme Gigabit Router and although it is a great router it only has three gigabit ports. The Netgear 5 port gigabit switch solved the problem for me and now all five devices in my home office are happily communicating with this switch added. As with Apple products, "it just works." Highly recommended. - Netgear - Gigabit Switch - Switch - Gigabit'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information