Thursday 27 October 2011

Value Pack - ink, ink cartridge


I thought I was getting a terrific deal on 6 ink tanks, they look exactly the same as those that came with the printer and those that are packaged individually. But when I later bought a one-off replacement -- not "custom" -- tank I noticed the ink level bar on the printer LCD was not only full but also longer than the other bars! If the "custom" tanks hold only about half the ink, this isn't the bargin it appears. HP 02 Series Ink Cartridges w/150 sheets 4x6 inch HP Advanced Photo Value Pack in Retail Packaging

I can confirm that the cartridges shipped with this photo value pack have a fraction of the ink capacity of normal cartridges. While there is nothing at all that indicates this in any of HP's marketing materials (bad HP) it becomes clear when you install them. The ink level gauges on the printer show much smaller bars for these than the regular cartridges - and indeed they do run out very quickly compared to normal cartridges.



Face it - HP is all about making very large profit margins from selling ink, and they aren't dumb. If you want to buy an ink combo pack of full cartridges you can search amazon for HEWLETT PACKARD 02 COMBO PACK - you will find this listed as of today at $60 and not that much of a discount vs. buying single cartridges.

There is a reason that the value pack is so much cheaper. The cartridges are not full! I just got off the phone with HP tech support and they confirmed this. The cartridges sold with the value pack are labeled as *custom* cartridges that have enough ink to print 150 4X6 photos. In fact, the tech support rep discribed the *custom* cartridges as having "way less" than standard cartridges, "less than 50% full". On a related note, I asked him if the initial cartridges that came with my new printer were full, and he said they should have been full standard cartridges.



So this value pack isn't such a great value now, is it?

As others have noted, these cartridges are not full cartridges, even though HP very cleverly avoids giving you that info. On their website, for a single cartridge purchase, the details list the ML in the cartridge, not so for the Value Pack.



I just bought the C6180 which requires that the "initialization" cartridges in the box be used first. Mine we're faulty and now I've got to wait for HP to overnight new ones, even though I've got a value pack sitting here.



I should have known better. All 5 colors and B&W for $36 (plus photo paper) when individual cartridges cost $10. When you shop in a grocery store the merchant is required to tell you how much product you are paying for, why shouldn't HP be required to do the same.



Shame, shame, HP.

I thought I was getting a great deal by buying the "HP Custom 02 Value Pack" (6 cartridges with 150 sheets photo paper), until I noticed that the Staples price for the "HP 02 Color Combo Pack" (5 cartridges without black cartridge or photo paper) was significantly higher than the Value Pack! Go figure! For this equation to work, there must be a lot less ink in the Value Pack! I just wish that HP would disclose the facts. Makes me feel like I got ripped off.



***Update***

My suspicions have been confirmed! When I use these cartridges, I have discovered that the printer cartridge "ink level bar" only goes up part way. But when using one of the HP Color Combo ink catridges, the "ink level bar" goes up all the way and shows as full. Buy the HP 02 Color Combo Pack instead!

Think you're getting HP 02 cartridges at a bargain price? -- Not. HP is deceiving you through lack of appropriate disclosure. The cartridges are not nearly the same ink quantity as standard 02 cartridges. When you see the phrase "custom cartridge", it's HP's weasel words for ripping you off.

We had a big project to print and while I was bying my new printer I bought 3 of these hp photo pack cartridges thinking wow!!! "comes with all the ink and some photo paper" GREAT DEAL!!!!! I started doing the math after printing 26 full color paper size photos and two cartridges went out. WHAT??? Found this site and many others of people being duked just like me. I wish HP would just make a really good deal and then they would have some really loyal customers with smiles on their faces, but you are forced to buy the ink. you have to have it no matter what the cost. Wish they would really give a good deal like this photo pack BUT WITH THE INK CARTRIDGES FULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok well... HP what if your customers only give you 50% of what you give them when you hide that it is not 100%????? ok I'm done complaining.... at least for now.....

If it looks to good to be true, it is. What a rip off, you think you are getting a great deal on the ink cartridges only to find out you are paying for very little ink and a whole lot of 4 x 6 that you will never use because you will run out of ink after 20 photos..come on HP print the information on the box. - Ink - Value Pack - Hp 02 - Ink Cartridge'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information