Wednesday 29 June 2011

Cut-off Tool - grinder, dewalt


I have a pneumatic cutoff tool similar to this, but it requires time to start the compressor and dryers on the air line, and for the tanks to come to pressure. I always have an 18V XRP battery ready to go so for quick jobs this is much faster.



It features 2 nice removable guards, one partially open, and one fully enclosed, each with quick release removal and installation levers.



The side handle unscrews for convenience



Additionally, if you want to use normal wheels from the welding store, there is a locknut and wrench that come with this - you don't use them with the dewalt wheels but if you have a supply of grinding wheels you will need those parts, so put them together (I bought the tool only which saves quite a bit and did not include a case)



When you first get the dewalt wheels you should do a edge cut and surface grind to balance the wheel - they are not always perfect and you can feel the wobble until they shape up, which doesn't take long.



Altogether the convenience factor of using 18V batteries (it's ready for li-ion btw) instead of my pneumatic system is great. For big projects, I'll have the compressor running anyways so it's a no brainer, but for small work this is a cheap solution to grind, or cut. Bare-Tool DEWALT DC411B 4-1/2-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Cut-Off Tool (Tool Only, No Battery)

This grinder works great, but I only suggest it for when there isn't an outlet near by to plug in a corded one. With a fully charged lithium XRP battery, you get about 4 - 5 minutes of work before the battery dies. After experiencing the limited life of this grinder, I thought about returning it for another corded one, but I have come across some instances where there either wasn't an outlet near by or my extension cords were quite long enough to reach my project. I decided to keep it for just those situations.



A corded one is also rated at a higher amperage, so this is best for light duty projects. I definitely would suggest only having this as an accessory to a corded grinder. - Dewalt - Bare-tool - Battery - Grinder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information