Thursday 30 June 2011

Shoot And Share - camcorder, flip ultra hd


it works well, the films are clear, water doesn't get in... so it definitely gets 5 stars for that

but i don't know who designed it... it doesn't fit snuggly the vado hd. actually you can probably put two vado's in there. but because of that we were happy to use it as a camera waterproof pouch as well so that's an added bonus.

i wish it came with a little smooth cloth to wrap it in because i'm constantly stressed that it will get scratched when it's not in use.

the bottom line: great films, but ugly looking! Creative Labs VA0580 Vado and Vado HD Waterproof Pouch (Blue)

I bought this because I will use my Vado outdoors and it of course is not waterproof. As soon as I got it, I did a test to see what I would lose by using the pouch.........and the answer is.......I can see NO difference. Now the clarity of the plastic is good, so I thought that operating the camera inside the pouch would not degrade the quality that much.........honestly, I can't tell the difference. The amazing thing to me is the audio..........with the camera locked inside this waterproof pouch, the audio of me talking is still very clear. There might be some loss of faint sounds in the background, but that might be all. This is an expensive pouch, but it clearly exceeds my expectations.

I called Vado in advance; "Is there a view port for the lens? I see only one image of this and it looks like a plastic bag?!" His response was; "We wouldn't sell it if is was not for underwater photography.." Ahem...



It is a plastic bag made by Aquapac. It does come with a trick seal but the body is simply two sides of soft, clear vinyl with a blue border. Unlike the Flip or GoPro housings, the bag is a generic fit. Perhaps the good part is that you will end up with multiple places where the lens can end up..



I cannot imagine this not getting scratch just looking at sand. Be sure to store this plastic bag inside something soft. I will wax mine because it feels somewhat 'gunmmy' (as soft vinyl does..) - I would bet it is prone to drag on other surfaces.



One tip: put a desiccant inside any housing. These things are prone to interior condensation after being in the Sun and then taken into cooler water. The inside can fog up like the outside of a beer glass.



The advantage to the VADO is their wider lens. A 'good' halfway between the GoPro Hero and Flip.



Jim



____________________



A couple of weeks later... The bag is not common vinyl. I bought a cheapo copy from China that smells pool toys from the 70's. I am still not impressed with the squishy, plastic bag feeling. It is clearly about 50% too large for the cam, which leads one to think it's simply an off-the-shelf AquaPac item..



BUT - add a star or two for clarity of the image thru the bag. Here's a 1:20sec clip of about 2hrs of video I shot yesterday (1 Jul) It is not underwater, but you will know why I needed bag...



Jim



[...]

Keeps my Vado HD dry & safe plain and simple. In the instructions when you 1st try it you are told to use an item that is not of value to see if it leaks. When this is confirmed you can place the Vado inside. Works great pictures are just as crisp to my eyes as compared to when not in the bag. At times water may blur outside of bag but is no fault of the bag. If you made the bag snug I believe this would jeopardize the bag to tearing. Also you can still heard sounds clearly without any muffling even if you are speaking softly so under water talking as usual made for good time. My kids had blast taking it down water slides and shooting video as they slid it was hilarious. Other people had their cameras but had to protective as usual here we where jumping in pools and going down a weeks worth of water slides and nothing but great memory's to take home with us.I just don't know what people are looking for in this item if you are a professional photographer you shouldn't have Vado camera in the 1st place.

This product worked great!! I was a little concerned after I read a poor review for it that said theirs had leaked, but we had NO problems with it at all. The pouch was purchased for a Vado video camera but we also found that it worked great with our digital camera. We have excellent still photos as well as video of us enjoying the ocean and boogie boarding through some very rough waves, I would recommend the pouch highly!

The case is pretty durable and has an EXCELLENT seal. It was larger than expected but in the end that is a plus. Not only does it fit my TMobile G1, but I can actually use the touch screen on the phone, inside the pouch!

Very well made product and the lanyard is nice to let the camera hang at the ready safer than just using the little hole on the camera itself.

Highly recommend the product for it's use with the Vado as well as it's versatility for other items. - High Definition - Camcorder - Flip Ultra Hd - Shoot And Share'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information