Wednesday 29 June 2011

Gps Watch - heart rate monitor, timex


The watch standing alone is a great item. I love the customization and all the great things this watch is able to do. However, knowing now that it'll cost me $120/year just to view the data from my workouts I would not have purchased this watch. When you upload the data to the website Training Peaks, it is clunky and difficult to navigate. The lack of customization in your personal account completely contrasts with the way in which this watch works. You are able to use a free account to view your data, but this is almost useless because any of the important data you would want to track is only available in the premium account for $120/year. I had owned the Suunto T6C and even though it was not GPS it had a much better interface and way more data I could track - there was no website to go to. All in all I am very disappointed that I spent all this money just to have a mileage counter on my wrist. Timex Global Trainer Speed and Distance with Heart Rate GPS Watch

First let me say that I'm a seasoned triathlete (3 IM's) and I also have the Garmin 405. While the 405 has been a great watch, the shortcomings it has is that I can't swim with it, and when I work out and it's humid, sweat can find it's way to the bezel and it'll start beeping like mad. That is what prompted me to get the Global Trainer. I can swim with the watch, and don't have to worry about it going beeping crazy.



Few points on each watch:

Global Trainer:

-The functionality is great, and I can set up each sport with a variety of data, ultimately splitting the screen into 1,2,3, or 4 pieces of data like heart rate, pace, distance...

-It's fairly easy to use on the fly. Tracking splits, or going from a bike to a run is very easy

-It's comfortable for being such a huge watch

-Acquiring the satellites was relatively quick

-The display doesn't look very polished. When in time mode (non-gps) it's like looking at a stop watch.

-Downloading data to a PC is a joke. It's fickle, and even when you have the device agent up, and the watch connected, it's a trial in patience. This is where the 405 beats the Global Trainer hands down. The Garmin will transfer data automatically, and do it without having to connect the watch to a cable.

-Included software with the Timex is functionally minimal. You can pay $19.99 a month for a "enhanced" version of the training center, where Garmin will give you much of the same functionality for free.



Overall, the Timex is a huge disappointment. My recommendation would be wait for a future version where they have the kinks worked out, and don't nickle and dime you to see your training data after you've already plopped down a few hundred dollars.

The specs of the watch are really good, but it is when you start using it that one realizes that the Timex Global Trainer does not perform to expectations.



Firstly, the GPS in the watch, although it uses the same chip as that of the Garmin Forerunner, the performance in the Timex Global Trainer is extremely inaccurate. i.e. it takes an average of 5-7min to lock the satellites, unlike other devices, which can lock satellites in matter of seconds. Also, once a session is recorded and loaded onto a map (such as Google Maps), one can appreciate that the tracking of the device is very inaccurate. I have seen distance reading erros of up to 12% (e.g. you run 10miles and the watch says you have run 8.8miles!!) , which is very very bad. Other GPS watches only have a 2% error max accuracy (i.e. Garmin). I have checked this issue on the internet and other user reviews on Timex's Global Trainer GPS show this same issue. I have sent the watch to Timex, got it replaced for a new one, and the same issue persists. Timex hasn't got a solution to this.



Secondly, the workout data downloaded from the watch to the PC is proprietary and can only be used on the TrainingPeaks website. Forget about exporting you data to other better and cheaper websites such as MapMyRun or WorkOutLog. This wouldn't be a problem if TrainingPeaks had a good system, but it is slow and in many occasions it won't load 100% of the workout information (plenty of software improvement is needed on their side). TrainingPeaks has a cost of c. $20/month, while other websites only cost $20/year. The Free version of TrainingPeaks won't show you all of the information from your watch (e.g. HR zones, Cadence Zones, Power Zones, etc).



Conclusion: The GPS is a no go. On a spec basis the watch is not that expensive against competitors but if you include the cost of the software to visualize your workouts you need to add $+120/year, and thats another no go. I have bought the Garmin Forerunner 310xt, Garmin is better value for money and you are not stuck with proprietary software that doesn't work!

Had a 305, a 405 and now this Timmex Ironman GPS. I have worn the 405 and this watch together on long runs at the same time. I have also ran with this watch while my friend was wearing his 305. The GPS of this watch is very accurate and over 12 miles i found less than a .1 mile difference from the 405 and about a quarter mile from the 305. I have worn this watch in a marathon and it logged 26.3 miles. My 405 would commonly log 26.5 in marathons. I do agree it can be finnicky on downloading to computer. However the program that comes with the watch, without purchasing the extra features shows me a map and seems fine to me. It logs my minutes fine, my averages fine and like the 305 allows 4 displays at once. I also have had no problem finding a gps signal, nor have i lost a signal in one single race. It is definitely more reliable than the 405 which has frozen up on occasion and has become locked in jumping back and forth between different functions. The 405 is not nearly as reliable, but the size is great.



Likes of the timex GPS. NOTE, i wear these watches in Marathons.



Great 4 display

Accurate GPS

Easy to operate



Cons, bigger than 405



Overall, functionality of 305 is #1 but very bulky, Timex is a close second to the 305 on functionality and slightly smaller. the 405 comes in third. 405 Locks up, finicky when wet or sweating. Overall timex is king. Maybe the 410 will step in and change it all, we shall see. - Gps Watch - Timex - Heart Rate Monitor - Running'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information