Saturday 30 July 2011

Accessories - external dvd burner, accessories


I had to have the "Superdrive" on my MacBook Pro replaced but fortunately it was still under the Apple Care warranty. I bought this external DVD writer in order to preserve the built in, replacement unit on my Mac. This Samsung DVD writer is great! Just plug it in and start using it. One USB connection is all that was required. There is a software disc that comes with the item, but it is primarily for a PC. I did not need it or use it. So far it has played and recorded both D5 and D9 DVD's and played and recorded CD's with no hiccups of any kind. I couldn't be more pleased. Very small, but appears to be very sturdy. Samsung USB 2.0 DVD Writer SE-S084F/RSBS (Black)

I have had this unit for only a few days, but have been putting it through its paces. On my MacBook Pro it requires ONLY ONE USB port. The device comes with a special USB cable that has a standard device USB plug on one end, but on the computer end has a "main" standard USB plug, and a second pigtailed "daughter" USB plug. The box is vague, but shows several variations on how this can be used. My interpretation is, if you have a USB 2.0 port you should be fine with just the main plug, as 2.0 provides adequate power to run most external devices. This is the case with my MacBook Pro; I can read and burn disks with just the main plug. If you have only USB 1.0, you will likely need the second plug for "power enhancement" as the box puts it. So, rather than a negative, I think it is _clever_ that they have provided a system that is backward compatible with older computers.



I have been able to read Region 2 disks, something that my internal DVD drive won't do without changing region settings. I have been able to read several public library DVDs that my Mac mysteriously refused to play at all (they weren't scratched). I have successfully written DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL.



Overall, a pretty good little unit for under $40!

Cheap, but did not last. This item was used with a MacBook which had a defective DVD drive. After little usage, and a month after the warranty expired, it would not play 80% of the cd's or dvd's I tried.

I usually buy Samsung products because I believe in the quality, but I found this purchase very disappointing. It worked very well until one day, it wouldn't recognize any disk. We didn't use it very often, and realized that it was almost new. After hours of troubleshooting, etc., we finally gave up. Now I need to spend $$ on something else, as my netbook really does need a CD writer.

I was looking for a DVD player that would play the DVDs I acquired overseas. One of the few misfortunes of having a Mac is that the DVD region is set in the firmware, and not the software like it is for PCs. (This is why programs like AnyDVD, etc. work only for Windows.) This drive was an easy-to-use and very affordable option. You simply plug it into the USB drive (there's two USB heads, one for the device itself and one for charging, I'm guessing), pop in a DVD and the computer recognizes it. Isn't it ironic how more expensive products are generally more limited on what they can do?

I've bought two of these Samsung units in the past two weeks. Each one died after reading in about 30 or so music CDs into iTunes. If I switched the power off for about an hour, they would come back to life; but after another dozen or so CDs, they both failed completely. Avoid this product!

Every time I put a disc in, the device spits it back out and does not finish the job it is intended to do. Also, the button to open the disc door does not work. I have to unplug the usb and plug it back in just to get the disc out. In addition, the Samsung customer service team did absolutely nothing to assist me. I would not recommend this product at all.

I just set this up today. It required no installation, and I did not use the CD that came with it. I'm glad I had already read someone's review that said not to bother with Nero, as it is just a trial version without sound, and instead installed free VLC media player. Nor did I bother with the firmware thing. I played a dvd, an audio cd, and stored some various types of files on a blank cd. I have a Samsung series 9 notebook and it worked great with only one usb plugged in. However, after reading some of these reviews, I'm a little concerned. I actually ordered the C model, but got the F. I hope it lasts, as the C and D models got much better review than the F model.

Specs look good, price was decent. Bought one, have replaced it twice, now asking for refund. All three units show "Sector 0 Error". It's not my computer or other equipment--I tried multiple copies, of several source dvd's, switched cables, rebooted burner and computer several times. Another brand's burner does not show this error. Called Samsung tech support and was told each time that the unit was defective/send it back.



Samsung makes a number of good-quality electronic products. This is not one of them.

NOT WORKING AT THE END OF THE RECORDING not eject the disc and fails.

VERY DISSATISFIED WANT to give me an answer to my problem.

I WAS VERY SATISFIED WITH PURCHASES MADE FROM AMAZON WITH THIS PROBLEM BUT I am disappointed



AMAZON HOPE ANSWERS PLEASE: ( - External Dvd Burner - Dvd Burner - Accessories - Dvd Drive'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information