Sunday 31 July 2011

Great Value - schwinn, 430


I am a soldier who has recently returned from deployment. While I was deployed I injured both knees and am unalbe to run due to the impact. I had tried ellipticals while I was deployed and was quite impressed with the work out I got. When I returned I went out and started searching for one of my own. My goal was to keep it under $1000. I tried many different brands and discovered that not all ellipticals are created equal. Many of them are cheaply made and shake side to side or make alot of noise. The stride is very important. I am 6 foot tall and the 16 inch stride on some of them just didnt cut it. I ended up buying a Proform 160 from the Proform website since it had an 18 inch stride and seemed to be sturdy, however, after discovering how little they care about customer service, I cancelled my order. I ended up buying an Image 9.5 from Walmart. I used it for about 3 weeks and came to the conclusion that the foot pedals were spaced too far apart and it put pressure on my knees and made my hips hurt. After thinking about it for a minute it made sense to me, who runs with thier feet that far apart anyway. My feet almost land in a straight line when I run. So I set out to find one with closer pedals. Overall I tried almost 2 dozen different machines and finally found the Schwinn 430 at a fitness store. I tried the 418 and 438 also, but the 430 seemed to be the most comfortable to me. The 438 and some of the other brands seem to have a high arch on the upstroke. The 430 was very smooth and ultra quiet. It is very well made and should last for many years. Amazon had the best deal on it and had it to me in about 8 days. It is a very comfortable machine. After all of this I would say to anyone wanting to buy an elliptical, try alot of them, I tried all the ones at Sears, Oshmans, Academy and Fitness in motion. Make sure the stride length, pedal angle and pedal spacing are comfortable for you, after all, if its not comfortable you wont want to use it. The only thing I think could be improved on the Schwinn 430 is a backlit display. Luckily I work out with the lights on so its not a problem, haha. I tried many machines that were between $2-3000 and this one was still more comfortable to me. It is a heavy machine, so get help carrying it in, but you will be glad its heavy when you ride it. It is some assembly required, but it has fairly clear instructions, so there shouldnt be a problem with assembly. Happy Hunting! Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer

I didn't see many reviews on the 430, much less details regarding the differences between this stripper model and its big brother brethren. So here goes my first real Amazon review:



Why I chose the Schwinn 430

-Price (esp on Amazon w/ mat and shipping)

-Space saving

-ECB resistance

-Forward + Backward

-25 lb flywheel (per manual)

-18" stride



Why I'm happy after buying

-Feels solidly built, like it will last

-Relatively quiet

-Forward + Backward motion

-Bargain price, esp w/ Amazon mat + shipping

-I get a good workout



Why I'm not happy

-Manual subpar. Amazon acknowledges with email M8x25 error, but there are other (unrecognized by Amazon) mistakes.

-Fit is only 99% perfect. Some holes don't line up perfectly, but what can you expect at this price point?

-"Heel rising" during motion despite "articulating foot plate" was a little more than I expected, but not much more than other ellipticals

-I'm only 5'9", but I prefer a 20" stride (found on Sole Ellipticals), probly because I'm use to the gym but 18" is definitely ok

-Display is hard to read. Backlighting (on 418,438) would help.

-The "easiest" setting is a little hard for my wife, probly due to heavy flywheel

-My wife has tripped over the small power cord, so I can understand why battery power on the 418 is a nice option.





Differences between 430, 418, and 438



430

LCD display

AC Power

Grip HR Monitor

Preprogrammed Workouts 8

Max User Weight 275 lbs.

Warranty: Labor - 90 days





418

adds backlit LCD

adds Battery Power Option to AC

same Grip HR Monitor as 430

increases Preprogrammed Workouts 12

same Max User Weight as 430

increases Warranty: Labor - 6 Months; Wear Items - 6 Months





438

adds fan, multi grip handlebar to backlit LCD

deletes Battery Power Option of 418, only AC

adds Chest Strap HR Monitor to Grip Monitor

increases total Preprogrammed Workouts 21, 4 user settings

increases Max User Weight - 300 lbs.

same warranty as 418



Due to the price, I would buy the Schwinn 430 again in a heartbeat. Same award winning mechanics as the 418, 438 but a much cheaper price point. However, if you work out a lot at night and want a backlight, or don't want a power cord across the room, I would seriously consider spending the extra $200 for the 418 despite the problematic Amazon reviews.



UPDATE: Like others, I too had developed a small "squeaking noise" problem. However, my squeaking was located where the moving handlebars pivot, close to the flywheel. A quick call to Schwinn (hold time < 1 min) told me that I probably tightened the handlebars too much. I was told to back off by a quarter turn until the squeaking disappeared. Three quarter turns later, my squeaking is gone! Apparently my obsessive compulsiveness in tightening everything down was too aggressive. One month later, and I still love my Schwinn 430, and I was very happy with the customer service too. - Great Value - 430 - Schwinn - Exercise'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information