Saturday 30 July 2011

Cordless Screwdrivers - dewalt, cordless screwdriver


I own numerous cordless drills and cordless screwdrivers. This one really fills the gap. Light weight and strong power, for its size. I do a lot of electrical work, which entails drywall repair amongst other things. It has enough power to drive drywall screws in, yet small enough to get into those small places. I wouldn't sheet rock a room but it's great for small jobs. Attaching cabinet hinges, electrical work and driving hex nuts, it works great in all applications. Really beats the pants off of the B&D 3 volt screw drivers. The clutch has excellent range. At the 1 setting you can drive screws into a switch face plate without breaking the plate. The higher numbers correspond almost exactly to the release pressure of my other DeWALT drills.



I knocked off one star due to the poor quick release design. By the way, it hasn't been fixed. When you push the sleeve back, towards the screw driver, it releases the bit. Like others have said, when you bump it or put it in your tool belt the bit can release. It hasn't been a huge problem, just an annoying issue. The problem is that there is a small spring that helps release the bit. So it shoots it across the room. It really doesn't make any sense, since their impact drivers have the release mechanism going in the opposite direction. That said, I would buy this again and recommend it to anyone. Hopefully, some day, DeWALT will act on these reviews. For the price this is a great deal. The batteries have long run times and the charger is the latest 3 mode version which allows you to leave the battery in the charger all the time without damaging the battery. In fact that is what they recommend, keep one in the charger at all times. It charges, conditions and then maintains a trickle charge after that. I wish that I would have purchase this item long ago. Have fun.



Update: I have now been using this tool for about 6 months. It still works flawlessly. I would like to add a note on the quick release. I think that DeWALT's thinking on the way the bit releases is for ease of use and quick action. Typically if you are using this tool, you will be changing from flat head to phillips again and again. By tapping the release the bit quickly pops out and to attach a new one you just shove it in. If, like on their impact driver, you had a locking mechanism it would be more difficult to release and install the bit. This is supposed to be for light duty work. This cordless screwdriver is now the first tool into my bag for any project. I can't imagine leaving home without it. DEWALT DW920K-2 1/4-Inch 7.2-Volt Cordless Two-Position Screwdriver Kit

I'm remodeling my garage. One of the many tasks is putting up sturdy wall shelving to hold heavy tools and tool boxes, and putting up drop down ceiling racks to hold 4x8 sheets of plywood, sheet rock, etc. I have been using the DeWalt Cordless Screwdriver to attach the shelving to my garage studs and rafters with 3 inch wood screws.I am more than impressed with the power this little screwdriver has. Screwing 3 inch screws into a pair of 2x4's by hand or by using a drill and Phillips bit is not an easy task. The DeWalt however, has the power to get the job done easily. I don't have to soap the screws either, a task that was necessary with my old Craftsman cordless screwdriver. I set the clutch to 15 for these tough jobs. When the clutch engages, the DeWalt sounds like an air ratchet. The thing just oozes power.The 1 hour charger works as advertised. My depleted battery packs are completely recharged in under an hour. The DeWalt two position handle is a welcome enhancement from my inline Craftsman cordless screwdriver. I find that I am using the pistol grip postion almost exclusively.One feature that took some getting used to is the location of the forward, lock, reverse switch. Its location is more suitable for a left handed person than for a right handed person.To say the very minimum, I am very satisfied with my DeWalt. Next to my table saw I would rank my cordless screwdriver as my most important and useful tool.

This is simply the best cordless screwdriver around. With a drill you either have too much torque, speed and size. Having a power screwdriver is a necessary piece of equipment for any homeowner. I had always suffered with stripped screw heads or insufficient torque. No more - not with this baby. Balance is perfect, controls are terrific. I was really (pleasantly) surprised to find the chuck is a rapid load self ejecting chuck. This is really a necessity in a screwdriver (and probably in drills too - DeWalt hope you are reading this....).The torque adjustment is really great. Adjustment steps are very nicely spaced throughout the torque range. I.e. you don't have to worry about one setting being too much and the next being too little. You get a nice range throughout 15 settings. I have used this for light jobs like wall switch trim plates with no problem where I used to routinely crack them with other drivers. Also with tough driving into thick oak etc.. with no problem and no stripping.My only complaint is that the battery shape makes the tools somewhat awkward to use in the straight position. However, this is the only problem and nothing that I believe detracts from the tool overall. Having owned several black and decker cordless ones and having looked at the skil, panasonic and others. This tool leaves them in the dust ... and at a discount too! (Panasonic I have seen here for $139 or so).Get it. You won't regret it.

Bought mine here from Amazon.com about a month ago and have used and tested it with much satisfaction ever since. I reviewed all 57 reviews for this tool here before buying and I rely heavily on these reviews before buying. I was concerned about the shaft wobble and the easy releaseability of the bit when the chuck is bumped or put into a tool bucket. These were so well written up by earlier reviewers. I am pleased to say that it appears as if both situations have been resolved. The chuck release spring has been stiffened and the shaft turns true. Tested it with the collar pulled back and there is no wobble. A 6 inch bit spins true. And, the collar needs a firm pull back to release the bit now. The case has ample room for all sorts of accessories. The charger is very light to lug around. The tool brakes when you release the "trigger" which is undocumented and allows you to stop with one thread left connected on screws instead of coasting to a stop and the screw stopping where it may. The slider release to change from a straight to a pistol is spring loaded so you don't have to remember to make sure the tool is locked into its new position. It clicks into a locked positon when the tool arrives at the new configuration. The previous tool I purchased from Amazon using the reviews as decision making was for the Porter-Cable 548P Bayonet Saw.(...) I have been so thankful I did. - Gift Idea - Power Tools - Dewalt - Cordless Screwdriver'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information