Sunday 31 July 2011

Iphone 4 Case - iphone 4, candyshell


01-06-2011 Update:



In November of 2010 I finally received my new case. But I had by then found a great Incipio case that I just find perfect so I really didn't use the CandyShell. Over xmas I upgraded my wife to an iPhone 4 and so I put the newly received CandyShell on her phone. All the reflective flash problems have been fixed and the case fits perfectly. She really likes it and it's a solid case.



I have a lingering issue that the side and top of the new case might "split" with frequent removal - my old candyshell case had begun to come apart at the top and sides due to the frequent removal needed for some docks. I am not sure if this has been fixed with the new case. I would advise if you use it, remove the case from the bottom and not the top - also try to not remove it unless you have to.







---------



I did not buy this case from Amazon, got it from ATT, but thought I'd post my experience. If it weren't for one very serious flaw, this would be hands down the single best iphone case ever. With my iPhone 3 and 3gs and now the iPhone 4, I am sorta on a quest to find the best case I can. I went thru about 6 or more iphone 3gs cases before settling on one.



Pros:



1. Nice, grippy rubber case, won't slip out of your hand. Not too hard but not too soft.

2. It's rubber as opposed to silicone. So it should not stretch out of shape. Every silicone case stretches, every one of them.

3. Very very snug fit, slim profile also. Seems to fit in most of my docks.

4. Button alignment is perfect. After a day you will forgot the iphone is even in a case at all!

5. Re-enforced corners!

6. Basically it fits the iphone like a glove. No wriggle room at all.



Cons:



1. The rear of the case has an opening for the iphone 4's camera and new LED flash. But with the case on, the LED flash reflects off side of the case's opening and onto the lens when you try to take a flash picture. The result is a useless picture that looks like someone is pointing a flashlight into the lens. So, if you want to take pics with the LED flash, you need to wrestle the case on and off which might end up stretching it over time. I think if the hole around the LED were larger it would not reflect off as it does. I tested this by taking numerous pics of the same angle & subject with and without the case. The difference is night & day. With the case on, the pics are terrible. Without the case, they are very good and the lighting is even. Again, this is just with the LED flash.



2. Dock connector opening works fine with the regular apple dock cable but it's too tight to plug in the apple AV cable. Again, you have to take the case off which is not good. So, if you use the AV cable a lot, you might think carefully here.



3. Updated on 07-15-2010 - As a result of constant taking the case off and putting it on to use the flash, I have noticed the black rubber / plastic has cracked near the top of the case and around the "silence" button. The case fits so tight you have to really peel it off. This is a good thing usually. I would advise taking the case off from the bottom, where there is less to "crack".



08-12 - They are supposed to be sending me a newer model of the case that fixes the problem, once I get it I will test it out and update my review. Speck Products CandyShell Case for iPhone 4 (Moonsicle White/Charcoal, Fits AT&T iPhone)

This case is sturdy, lightweight, provides the most protection without being overly bulky. I've only seen a couple of cases that are "beefier", like the Otterbox, but who wants to put that in your pocket? (In fact they provide a belt clip because it doesn't fit in your pocket). 2 layers of protection, with a slick outside that won't get stuck in your jeans pocket, but a rubber inside with holes to make it light that will cushion the blow. Nice rim around the topside so if it fell face down it would be protected.



Update: 9/22/2010



I've seen received a new replacement case from Speck, and there are 3 important improvements. First and most important, the opening around the camera and flash has been enlarged to a "stretched circle" rather than a "keyhole". This completely eliminates the flash being reflected or bounced back over the lens, creating serious lens flare. You can now take perfect flash pictures. Second, the opening at the bottom has been slightly enlarged, so you can use 3rd party charging/syncing cables. And finally, the opening for the Mute switch has been centered. Before, it almost rubbed on the switch.



So the case is almost completely perfect. The only caveat? It scuffs and shows scratches quite easily on the back. This might not show on some of the other color combinations, but is does show on the black (batwing) version. I will say that you don't see the scratches unless the case is at an angle in most cases. I would give this case a 4 1/2 star rating, but I'll round up. I feel if the other reviewers got the new version (Speck will send you a new one free, if you have the "keyhole" version), this case would have a 4 1/2 star overall rating.



Also, I got the Speck PixelSkin HD case for free from Apple, and although it FEELS skinnier, and is by a hair, if you put the 2 cases on top of each other, or side by side, the CandyShell is maybe one millimeter wider. But you can dramatically see the size difference is extremely small. However, the sides of the HD case are hard plastic, and the buttons are WAY too stiff. You can tell if you dropped the iPhone, the Candyshell is going to protect much better, and it doesn't have an annoying seam around the middle of the sides. The Pixelskin HD case is a good case, but I think the Candyshell is much better. I'm selling the HD case. Just waiting for the Candyshell replacement.



One other thing - I don't get why people would put a screen protector on an iPhone 4. From Apple's website:



Made from the same materials used in helicopters and high-speed trains, the Retina display glass is chemically strengthened to be harder, more scratch resistant, and more durable than ever. The glass also features an oil-resistant coating that helps keep the screen clean.



Put on a screen protector and you know have a plastic surface that scratches easily, and picks up the oils from your fingers and face. The iPhone 4 (and 3GS) are so wonderfully easy to clean, just wipe the screen with your T-shirt, or a Kleenex. I had my 3Gs in my pocket for over a year, and when I sold it for $360, it didn't have a single scratch. The iPhone 4 screen is even MORE durable.



The Candyshell has a raised rim that will protect the screen from touching the ground if if falls glass side down. Plus you'll enjoy an always sharp screen if you don't cover it with a sheet of cheap plastic. - Candy Shell - Candyshell - Iphone 4 Case - Iphone 4'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information