Saturday 30 July 2011

Kindle Freebie - fiction, adventure


Everything Heather J. Sprinkle says about this book is correct, but:

-- The plot is very good. You get two first contacts for the price of one.

-- The writing gets better as the book moves along. About halfway through you stop noticing the poor phrazing, etc.

-- The shifts in perspective are handled very well. They flow togetehr and you're never left wondering where you are.

-- The plot is not very predictable. Well, maybe in retrospect, but that doesn't count. As you're reading you want to know what will happen.

-- I like to think that the inherrent racism and sexism is because of undeveloped writing skills and the author trying to affect a 1950's space opera ambience.

Stick with it. I'm glad I did. To The Stars (The Harry Irons Trilogy)

I enjoyed this book so much, that when I reached the last page, I had to just keep going and buy the next book in the trilogy. Space opera at it's best, I became attached to the characters and want to see what they do next! This is fast-paced, fun reading, an adventure story with all required elements thereof, and told masterfully! I really like the fact that I felt happy while reading it. There's nothing ugly or offensive. There is playfulness and humor, with vividly portrayed imaginary places.

Reviewed by Shar... I am not a SF junkie but this book was great. The book grabs you right away and never lets up. I like romance books, but I have to say that this book is one of the best books I have read in a long time.. and I read a lot! Thomas Stone developed his characters very well, including the alien ones. The action in this story keeps you breathlessly waiting to find out what is going to happen. I had everthing I could do not to page ahead (shame on me for such a thought). Well worth the read. It will keep you on the edge of your seat. This book would make an awesome movie ( I do love sci-fi movies ). And there was even a little hint of romance, but the action part of the characters was the best. It's what SF is about.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Like a lot of folks who search the free books we have all come across some real dogs. Not only was this book written well (I remember only two typos), it had a fun and engaging story that successfully tied all the lose ends in an acceptable conclusion. And yes, good enough that I purchased the second book.

Trying to write this review without giving any of the story away for anyone who has not read it yet.



I really like this story, so much so I bought the other two books to the trilogy. The author did a good job creating personalities for the characters and as a result, some of the characters I liked and was engrossed in the story wanting to see what happens and hoping they make it through the challenges they faced. The other thing I liked was that almost all the characters had good points and bad points in regards to thier personalities just like people in the real world.



For me, the author seemed to have found the right balance of action, conversation, and discription without over-using any of the three, so I didn't have to skip past pages that I get bored with as I've done with reading other books.



The action parts of the story were very good and kept me gripped to the story wanting to tell the characters to, "look out!" or "run!"



I think most people will enjoy this book and I recommend it, especially at the price it is at. If you like it, you can buy the other two books. If you don't like it, then not much lost costwise.

Readers, please take note of a few words the author should have considered while writing this book. I'm sorry I couldn't like this book more; I realize it must take an awful lot of time to write and publish, but some attention must be paid to the following for a really top-notch, or even easily readable book.



1. Thesaurus. The use of which would prevent the author from over using words. For example: when the author wishes to inform his readers that a character is a genius, he won't have to say, "Character X is a genius." or have another character say, "Character X is a genius." over and over until the reader starts muttering under her breath, "Yeah, I know already."



2. Exposition. This concept differs from "explication," which is when an author tells the reader something. Exposition is when an author shows the reader something and should be used as much as possible. Constant use of explication where exposition should be used makes the reader feel as though there is a barrier between him and the action.



3. Sexism. Usually I'm the last person to complain about sexism -- especially in a science fiction book, since sci-fi generally appeals more to males than to females it's very common for there to be a tilt toward sexism. Yet in this book the only positive female character is a wealthy, perfect-bodied blond whose only real talent is a positive attitude! By contrast, the other major female characters include an ambitious career driven Russian, an aggressive and not overly bright black woman, and a computer who is willing to dump her masters for humans because she thinks humans are better predators. (Like a gang moll in an old gangster movie "trading up."_)



4. Racism. Oh, yeah, the black woman. You know, it wouldn't be a problem to have a negative character who is also black, but the author doesn't just mention her race in passing, he throws it in the reader's face again and again while describing her character as aggressive, manipulative, selfish, and finally, stupid. He makes sure the reader knows she got her position not by merit, but by "affirmative action," before treating her to the inevitable grisly death.



I won't be reading any more of this series, because, while some of the ideas were interesting, the execution left a lot to be desired.

Wow, what a great book! When I was a kid I read all of the Heinlein young adult series of books many times over and "To The Stars" is pretty close to that type of story.



As far as readability goes, it does start off reading a bit "clunky" but by the middle of the book it flows quite nicely. Some claimed sexism/racism/ismism but I disagree. In any given book, not every character gets to be the hero; and not every author has a polished editor.



I'll definitely buy the next in the series. - Adventure - Science Fiction - Fiction - Dougs Kindle'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information