Sunday 31 July 2011

Ethernet Switch - belkin, cisco


Bought two of the refurbished Linksys by Cisco 5-Port Workgroup Switch. One of them worked and one didn't. Guess which one I installed first. I have had good luck with these in the past, but from now on...I'll spend the extra 8 or so bucks to buy a new one. As most of you know, when you need to replace a workgroup switch, you REALLY need it. I always keep a couple of them on the shelf. I'll use the refurbished one until it dies, but you can rest assured there will be 2 BRAND NEW ones on the shelf ready to go! Linksys by Cisco EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch - Linksys Certified Refurbished Product

I thought this was a hub-like router thing. I should have read more carefully. I will still be able to use it for when my team has only one internet connection. This will enable us to all be connected. This is NOT a router. A switch is different from a router, as I learned after I bought it. Good price though, and still useful.

Worked fine when I figured not to use the uplink connector #5. You must use it to uplink to another switch and continue. Avoid it for your local connections. Directions are uselessly non-helpful and non-existant.

I use this as a splitter and it works perfect. No signal degradation that I've noticed. I use one line in and four lines out. The lines out go to a Roku, Blu-Ray player, Xbox 360 and a Wii. I haven't ran them all at the same time of course, but who would? :)

I bought this switch as I needed another switch for access in another room. One thing you want to remember which is true with just about all switches-- the port immediately next to the input is not a port that you're going to want to use as you won't be able to get a signal out of it. That being said, its highly reliable, it doesn't drop off at all-- though I wouldn't recommend it if you're in need of multiple ports I mainly use this in my bedroom where there's just one of my Xbox 360s and a DVR that need internet connection.

Purchased a Linksys 5 port switch, since that was the original equipment I had on a home network that suddenly ceased to function. Of course I set this network up about 5 years ago, so I figured it was probably natural that things start to break at that time point. Unfortunately, the new Linksys switch that I swapped in lasted less than a month. After speaking to our IT resource at work, he basically said that the Linksys products were Cisco's attempt to tap the home market. The Cisco products for industry are top flight, but he warned me that the Linksys products were junk. Should have listened, so when I asked for a replacement suggestion for home use, he recommended any Netgear switch that was blue, not the white cased products.



Caveat emptor

This was not what i thought i was getting not at all what the picture looked the only thing that was the same was the name and model #. Instructions were very vague had to go to the website to print out better for myself this item didnt come with ne just a cd with some very vague instructions on it. But other than that so far it works ok although it didnt tell u ne where that i can remember that since it is just a 5 port switch if u use the uplink port then u cant use the 5th port because the uplink and the 5th port are wired together if would have known that i prob wouldnt have bought it. - Belkin - Cisco - Ethernet - Ethernet Switch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information