Monday 30 May 2011

Silicone - egg poachers, cooking gadgets


I don't recommend these as the best silicone egg poachers--the poachpods are far superiod in terms of the end result. It's a great design with flat bottom so it doesn't roll over, and the little handles, but the egg doesn't come out as creamy and there isn't as much room in them as the poachpods so you can't add any ingredients like cheese or an extra large egg without it spilling over. too bad because I loved the design and price. 6pc Silicone Egg Poachers

Getting your eggs just right apparently takes some practice. Best to butter or spray pods with oil. Cooked in frying pan about 1/2 full of simmering water with lid on for approx. 5 1/2 minutes (large eggs) I made overdone first time, very nice second time, too runny third time. Poached egg whites are noticeably more tender throughout. Also no crusty edges you sometimes get with frying and much less greasy of course.



These have a little square foot on the bottom and will sit upright on their own.



I like the softer texture of the poached eggs and I'm hoping I can learn to consistently get properly done eggs out of these. Otherwise I'll abandon them. I'll get back to you on that...



I found a recipe for grits here: [...] This came out ok.



Does anyone else have any recipes for cooking in these?

I bought these egg poachers thinking they would be easy to use. The directions explain that they must be oiled/greased every time they are used. Even that isn't enough! The eggs stick in the cups and have to be scraped out of the cups.

They also require a lot of time to use. We eat our poached eggs with a 'set white' and soft yolk. This means that the egg poachers will take about 12-14 minutes to cook!!

After trying them several times, we decided they were just too much trouble to use. If they were actually silicone nothing should stick. Ours went in the trash!

The silicone egg poachers help create perfect eggs. No egg material is 'lost' by using this method, and frying pans are left squeaky clean. It creates the perfect egg, without fuss. I bought some for my living-away-from-home kids.

I was a bit skeptical when I ordered these poachers but I couldn't find the replacement cups for the one I had at home. There is a learning curve for these cups. It took a couple of times to get perfect eggs...but they are now perfect and we love the product. Would buy these again without hesitation. - Cooking Gadgets - Egg Poachers - Silicone - Poacher'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information