Tuesday 31 May 2011

Fisher Space Pen


It is very good pen. Somebody commented before that it's only a pen, whatever. I have a Cross, Waterman and a bunch of random stick pens in between. This is really good, for a "sub-compact" it has really good feel, better than my Cross and the ink flows really well. The only one to compare ink flow and consistency to is the Pilot G2, just as good.



The only problem I had when purchasing was with the descriptions, there was nothing to put it in context. The closed size is maybe an inch longer than Chapstick and half as thick. The opened size is maybe a quarter inch less than the G2 gel pen.



The ink dries really quick and is a really good companion to my Moleskine notebook. The mini G2's were my first choice but the ink took too long to dry and was always smudging. This is a premium compared to the G2 but you won't regret it. Fisher Space Pen, Bullet Space Pen, Matte Black, Gift Boxed (400B)

This is a great pen. It is compact, with the end protected until it is used. It actually will write on a variety of surfaces that normally will irritate people trying to write on with an ordinaly pen. The only problem is the lack of a good clip. The version of the pen with a clip is a failure because the clip keeps falling off until you lose either the clip or the pen.

I am very pleased with this pen's performance. It's perfect for pocket carry because it folds up into a tiny package, and it's practically indestructible, so I never have to worry about leaking ink on my pants. I purchased the black model for myself and the gold model for my dad as a gift. I prefer the look of the black model, but the golden one has ribs along the side that gives you better traction. My only complaint is that on flat surfaces, there's nothing keeping the round pen from rolling around.



Long story short:



Pros:

+ Durable

+ Compact

+ Reliable

+ The ink cartridges write for ages, and have an amazing shelf life



Cons:

- Not great for desktop work, since there's nothing keeping it from rolling away (although you can purchase a slide on pocket clip to solve this problem)

Because of our occupations my wife and I write a lot and in constant need of a great writing tool. At first I was hesitant because I thought the whole space pen thing was just some ploy. But after reading a few reviews and seeing how well made these pens were I was sold. Not to mention they are made in the good 'ol U.S.A. The form factor of the Bullet pen is very small when closed. It measures almost 4 inches like this. But you take the cap off and place it on the end and the pen is suddenly a full size pen measuring 5.5 inches. The powder coating has held up extremely well on this pen. Very nice being as to how much I use this thing! You get a lot of bang for your buck with the cartridges too! I have read that most people get between 6-9 months use out of each one. The writing from this thing is awesome. I cant tell you how smooth a line this thing puts down. Plus, I love how bold the ink is. I am a customer for life. If you are thinking about getting one just get it you will love it!

In the end, the fisher Bullet space pen's pros really outweigh its few cons.



Pros:



The pen writes very well, smooth and precisely. It lets out a fine stream of ink, making it easy to read and keeping it from bleeding through paper. I tested the pen and found that it really does everything it says; in fact, when my friend stated "any pen can write upside-down", I challenged him to continuously write upside-down with his regular pen. After a few seconds, it stopped working. The space pen kept going.



It's other functions work equally as promised; once, a bottle of water spilled and drenched my entire notebook in water. It was a while before I found it. To my dismay, my notes were illegible, EXCEPT for the notes I had written with my space pen, because the ink remained waterproof.



The pen's size makes it extremely easy to carry around, but because the cover fits on to the back of the pen, it is large enough to be very comfortable when writing. I can throw it in my pocket or my bag and know I'm going to have it when I need it. The matte black finish also keeps the pen from being too slippery and falling out of pockets or bags.



The pen's ink reserve lasts MUCH longer than the average pen, believe me, and you don't have to worry about it bleeding on your clothes.



Cons:



Unfortunately, the pen's design does sacrifice SOME comfort. If you write for long periods of time, your hand might start hurting with this pen. It lacks any padding, gripping surfaces, or ergonomic design. Then again, this pen isn't really meant for long periods of writing.



The clip; please, Fisher, FIX the clip. When you first get the pen, DO NOT trust the clip to stay on. It will easily come off, and if you aren't careful, that could mean losing your space pen. I found that I had to push the clip down the pen's body, until it was at an extremely snug position, literally unable to move. Unfortunately, the metal of the clip left two tiny scratches through the finish from my having to push it down, though they are barely noticeable.

NOTE: However, I would absolutely recommend getting the model WITH the clip. It serves different enhancing functions! It stops the pen from rolling away due to it's round shape, it helps keep the pen up in pockets and bags so that you don't have to go digging for it, and it offers a more comfortable grip. Just remember to really push it down, hard, on the pen body!



I definitely recommend this pen to anyone looking for an everyday pen just to carry around, or anyone with a job/hobby that requires a pen that is easy to carry but needs to work in adverse conditions!

I purchased the Fisher Bullet Space Pen for my fiancé as part of a birthday gift along with a 3 pack of moleskine pocket-sized notebooks. He's a programmer, so he often has unexpected meetings to discuss projects and I wanted him to have a reliable black ink pen and notebook set that could easily and comfortably fit in his pocket. After the first day he was raving about it and also tested it under water with success, though I can't think of a scenario other than a rainy day where this would be needed. I've used it myself and it's both smooth in design as well as function. It feels great in the hand and I never had a hiccup with the ink as I've had with most other pens. The cap also fits snug, so there are no worries about it getting ink in your pockets or cases. The only minor downside to this pen, and this depends on how you use it and where you intend to keep it, is that it tends to fall out of your pocket when you sit down from time to time. This can be easily resolved by purchasing the clip attachment, or simply by putting it in a different pocket! Overall a great price for reliability and design. We love it!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information