Tuesday 31 May 2011

Weight Maintenance - eating healthy, diet


I've been trying to get in shape and lose weight for a couple of years now without being consistent. I heard about this game from my sister and organized a competition with my family - we're all headed to Maui in a couple of months so now we truly have a reason to get in shape. We're at the beginning of week 3 and I have already seen a difference on the scale, in my energy, and in my attitude. The rules they set for eating and exercise are probably things you already know but can't find motivation to follow through with - what the GAME ON! game provides is motivation. Also, they allow a meal off, a day off, and 100 calories a day of whatever you want, so you don't feel like you are in jail or missing out too much.



Changes:

-I look forward to my 5-a-day "sanctioned meals" and now that I'm in the habit of doing this consistently (which I never would've done on my own, without a team and competition), I'm going to keep this up as a lifestyle change.

-I will make sure I get my exercise in so I don't let my team down - whether it's doing an exercise DVD video at 11 PM at night or making myself go for a run when I don't really feel like it. If I was only going to affect myself by not exercising, chances are I'd probably skip working out. It makes a major difference to have teammates counting on you.

-Since everyone is forced to "communicate", we send group emails out and they are all very motivating, it's great to hear everyone brag about their accomplishments and stuggles, and it's a forum to brag about what you've done and feel good about you've accomplished.

-The competition gives me motivation to set myself up for success by shopping once a week and only buying sanctioned foods. No more potato chips in my grocery cart!



Failing to plan is planning to fail! This will work for you if you are organized, like competition, and can work within structure, rules, games etc. If you're anti any of these things, it most likely won't work for you.



Regarding the swearing she uses in the book, my friends and I talk like truck drivers so it didn't bother me at all. In fact, to me, her "language" makes perfect sense ;)



Good luck!



P.S. If you'd like me to email you a copy of the scoreboard we're using, comment on this review that you'd like one and I'll shoot it over to you. The Game On! Diet: Kick Your Friend's Butt While Shrinking Your Own

I just finished reading this book, and my friends and family are planning on starting this diet next week. I am really excited. The book is laid out in a way that is very accessible and clear. As for how well the diet actually works, I don't know. I'll let you know in five weeks.



* * * * *



Well, we did it, and I lost 6 and a half pounds in 4 weeks. I think that is pretty good since I was already within a healthy range, and was just wanting to lose a few pounds and firm up. My husband - who was my team member lost more than 15 lbs. Our last day of competition was 4 days ago, and I have to admit that I was ready for the game to be over. I was really getting tired of giving up my bad habit (I couldn't leave dishes in the sink over night) and making sure I got 7 hours of sleep a night. My husband and I took two days off from exercising and from watching what we ate, but after that we both got back to it. We both still drinking 3 liters of water a day, exercising for at least 20 minutes a day, and eating 5 small, balanced meals a day. Hopefully, we'll continue to lose the last little bit of weight that we have to lose and see the amazing changes in our bodies. My arms look great and my calves are more defined than they have been in years.



I think this is a really fun way to lose weight, and it teaches you a lot of great healthy habits. We're planning on getting another game together before the holidays to reinforce all that we've learned before being bombarded with holiday treats.



Two suggestions that I would have for anyone who wants to get their own game together would be not to start your game on a Sunday or Monday and to try and not travel while you are playing the game. You will want to take your meals off one the weekends, but if you have to weigh in on Sunday morning, it is really hard to do it. You're weight will be up just because of all the extra sodium in restaurant food. And trying to travel and keep up with the diet is really hard. First of all, if you are going to be in the car for any length of time, you don't want to be pounding water because you will have to stop and pee a million times. Plus, trying to eat healthily from a convenience store can be a challenge. It isn't impossible, but it is harder than eating at home.



If you are thinking about doing this diet, I say go for it. What do you have to lose, except some weight?

This book is fun and easy to read. Some of the language in this book is pretty nasty so it is definitely not a book for kids. It does have lots of good information in it and it is a blast to play. If you are looking for a way to lose weight while having a good time doing it this book is for you. I gave it only four stars because I thought the book didn't need the nasty words to get the point across.

This is a book full of healthy eating tips--and a lot of humor! It cuts to the chase on telling you how to eat from the different food groups, and even gives you 100 calories every day of anything you want! Plus you GET a day off and one meal off a week--just try to beat that, it's actually allowed and you lose weight! I don't play against other people point wise, just try to do better myself each week. I've been eating healthy for three weeks now and have noticed a big difference in my energy level, I also sleep better at night. It is sometimes hard to space the meals 2-4 hours apart-it definately takes some planning, but it is worth it as I never feel hungry and my blood sugar stays even. I'm very happy with the book--the only reason I gave it four stars vs. five is due to some of the language was uncalled for--I feel the author could have gotten the same point across w/o being so raw at times. - Diet - Eating Healthy - Diets - Weight Management'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information