Tuesday 30 August 2011

Dewalt Angle Grinder - angle grinders, grinder


I purchased this grinder with the Dewalt DW4945 4 and a 1/2 inch rubber backing pad and DW4525 35grit sanding discs. I used this setup to sand some house facing down to the wood because the paint was peeling. Scraping and orbital sanding were taking hours per square foot, but this setup moves right along. There is some danger to gouging especially when the disc is in the first 10 minutes. Possibly a larger diameter would be safer but I don't know. On the other hand the small size lets you zero in on stubborn spots. 50 grit might work better. I can't see any courser working well.

The bearings/gear system don't sound smooth like a router but at speed the vibration is no trouble. There are higher priced models; don't know exactly the benefit but they do have a different trigger system. This one has one lever high and in front which you can lock and then shut off with the thumb on the hand holding the grinder while your other hand is say on a ladder or something. Not bad. DEWALT D28110 4-1/2-Inch Small Angle Grinder

This is the best value I've found in a grinder. I've had mine for nearly a year. I've used it to sand, grind high spots in concrete, cut steel bolts, scrub other tools, cut graphite golf shafts, and destroy bad hard drives for my computer. The most extreme use was running it one day for 6 hours of continuous use on a big sanding job. I've abused this thing in ways that it is not designed for and it still won't quit.



Pluses: strong, versatile, easy to change attachments, good switch locks on, handle attaches to either side



Minuses: On the noisy side... not such a big deal when you using a grinder. This model has only the side lock on switch rather than a dead-man switch.



I use it more than I thought I would. Knowing what I know now I'd probably buy the 10 Amp model that comes with the case and deadman switch. Four and a half stars rounded up to five, because of performance and durability.

It's small, light weight, compared to professional use grinders, while delivering lots of power and lots of wheels and brushes available for various uses, including heavy duty diamond wheels. I found it very easy to use and control. The average home user will not likely find this unit lacking.



The grinder is tool-less, if you use their rubber backer DeWalt DW4945 4-1/2-Inch Rubber Backing Pad with Locking Nut for fiber discs and sanding disks or if you use their grinding and cutting wheels that have an integral nut, like this oneDEWALT DW4522 High Performance 1/8-Inch Metal Cutting and Grinding Wheel that has the 5/8 - 11 arbor. In both cases, the wheels can be installed and used with hand/finger tightening.



As far as I can tell, this grinder will accept every 4 1/2 grinding accessory wheel that is available. Many (most?)of them are marked with a 7/8 arbor, which will work fine. Just make sure that you install the 7/8 arbor wheel so that it is centered on the backer, which has a little lip at the 7/8 mark. Then install the locking nut, which also has a 7/8 lip to use on their 1/4 inch thick disc.



To use a rubber backer for sanding discs, polishing wheels, fiber discs, you have to remove the backing nut. It is retained by a rubber O ring and is easy to remove. The instructions are in the manual, but are easy to miss. There are no spanner wrench holes in the locking nut of the Dewalt rubber backer. That means you have to use finger pressure to tighten/remove it. There are other rubber backers that do have spanner holes in their locking nuts, like the Bosch MG0450 4-1/2-Inch Sander Backing Pad with Lock Nut which I think are easier to use. You'd probably need another spanner wrench for the 3rd party backers. I use this one, Adjustable Pin Wrench because it's cheap but works just fine.



You can also remove the guard, if needed to get at certain jobs. If you do, just remember that the on switch is locked on, so if you drop the tool, it could be chasing you around the room.



My only complaints are minor. I wish that there were a threaded socket on top of the grinder for the handle, in addition to the 2 on the sides. The arbor lock button is in a rather awkward place for me.



This grinder seems like a great value and I'm very pleased to have one.

I have owned several (other makes) of grinders. All have functioned for awhile but failed under heavy duty. I needed to get a replacement so I selected the Dewalt D28110. I almost didn't buy it because it seemed too inexpensive compared to others & I was concerned it would fail me early. I am glad I did buy this Dewalt grinder as it has worked perfectly so far and seems to be destined to work for many years.



It is well constructed and I would agree with Dewalt's claim that it is "Heavy Duty".



It satisfies all my needs for a 4 1/2 inch grinder with ease.



Rob

This is a great budget grinder. I used it with a diamond wheel to cut out grout on about 40 sf of floor tile. Put it through the wringer at load with lots of dust for a few hours and had no trouble. I've cut several other large pieces of metal, pipes, etc. Works like a charm. Bearings are a bit noisy but it doesn't seem to cause a problem.



I do NOT think this is "wrench free" as DeWalt claims. It includes a wrench and the instructions do not explain how to remove the wheel without a wrench. I don't think it can be done. (Please post and tell me how if it can!) My other complaint is that the instructions are terrible, like all DeWalt instructions. It's so confusing to try to figure out what applies to this model and what does not, what is the right type of wheel, when a separate guard not included might be needed, etc.

The grinding wheel that comes with it has a 7/8" arbor hole, but the grinder arbor is 5/8." There is a backing plate with a raised portion to enable acceptance of 7/8" wheels. However, THREADED 7/8" accessories won't work. I bought mine for wood carving with a Lancelot, which has a 5/8" arbor hole, which is very thick, and which required me to pull off the backing plate. Said plate is hard to remove (very tight fit; requires pliers) and first-time users might not even know that it is removable.



I'll write more later; just thought I should get this on the record in case someone needs to know, as it's not explained well in the manual. I've only had this thing a short time; so far, so good. No reason not to give it 5 stars if it pans out.



PS. I published the identical review for the reconditioned model, which is the one I bought, but everything I had to say about that applies to, and is useful for, this one. - Grinder - Carving - Angle Grinders - Light Weight Grinder'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information