Wednesday 31 August 2011

kayak rack - kayak rack, kayak storage rack


This must have been pretty easy to put together because my husband did it with my twelve year old daughter in under half an hour and I heard no swearing or gnashing of teeth. It easily holds our two recreational kayaks (an 11 ft Old Town Loon and a very heavy old 2+ sit on top Hobie). We are using it to store the kayaks off the ground and outside. My only concern about this product (and the reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5) is that it is not clear from any of the material on Amazon about this product (or anywhere else) whether it is recommended for outdoor use. We are using it outdoors, so I can probably update this after the winter and let people know. But, for the price and functionality, it was definitely worth the try. SpareHand Newport Plus Dual Kayak Storage Rack

Product is nice and works well.



But, it shipped without any of the screws, nuts or bolts required to assemble it. Just a note that said the required items would be sent later.



I contact Amazon who volunteered to take the product back (which required me re-packing the item in boxes that were destroyed opening everything up). Their first alternative was to send me a new product. Then I could use the new boxes to ship back the old product. No one new if the replacement product would come with the required hardware. The did give me a discount for my trouble (I think). But 4 or 5 weeks later there are still isssues as they seem to think they sent the replacement item even though I request that it not be sent, multiple time.s



Second option was to contact the supplier. I contacted the supplier who quickly sent most but not all of the required hardware. I finally gave up and bought the remaining items from the local hardward.



Overall, good product. It should never have shipped. Amazon staff tried to be helpful. In fact they were very quick to respond, but assumed solutions that were impractical or not what I wanted. Product should never have been shipped without the required parts and if it was shipped without the required parts I should have known that before it was shipped

Very happy with it; Easy to assemble, as someone else noted, make sure you find #1 in the instructions before you start. Very low profile, and easy way to quickly store two Kayaks without having to build something bulky myself. Doesn't eat up wall space, and I can move it. Seems very stable and easy to use. Horizontal arms are well padded, and so far I'm not worried about them denting the kayaks, but I might rotate sides and check after a round of hot weather.



Only taking off one star for the mediocre instructions, and the clamps for the horizontal arms are plastic, so I wonder how long they'll last.



Easy to order, track, and I received it quickly through Amazon.

Now that it's all assembled, I really like this rack BUT I did have a few issues putting it together. First off, the instructions began with Step 2. I looked for Step 1 but didn't find it but I figured it was okay since I could see what it was supposed to look like at the beginning of Step 2 from the picture. Unfortunately, I used the wrong screws to do my version of Step 1; even more unfortunately I didn't figure that out until it was almost all put together. Another thing that made assembly difficult is that although there are several different screw types (different lengths) they are all the same diameter, so you can easily use the wrong screw for the wrong task (especially if you can't find the instructions for a step).



After all the dust settled, I did eventually find Step 1 coyly hidden away on the back page of the instructions, underneath the parts list. Ah well. As I say, now that it's all assembled, I do like it a lot.

Bought this in 2009 after we acquired a second kayak and had no good place to put it. Have stored two kayaks on it through wind, rain, cold, heat and sun and it's great. We added a surfboard on the top rack (with some repositioning of a kayak) last summer and it's still great. It was easy to set up, fits well next to our house (and leaves plenty of walkway for us to get around) and turned out to be the perfect storage solution.

It took a month to receive the rack, apparently it's quite popular. When it did arrive one of the cradles was broken. We contacted the company and they were quick to replace the part- nice! Seems sturdy, we'll see how it works in a few months.

We have two Kayaks that were stored in our garage. We placed the rack under our deck (patio area). The yaks are protected, off the ground, very secure - no threat of falling over. You cannot go wrong with this storage rack. - Kayak Storage Rack - Kayak Rack'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information