Tuesday 30 August 2011

Up-converting - multi-region dvd player, 1080p


I bought this to play Australian dvds in PAL format on my LG tv bought in America. It works great. It seems to automatically detect the PAL dvd format and plays it in the NTSC format that my tv understands. The power cord works for my AC outlet. For other multi-region dvd players I've seen complaints that the remote buttons are too small, but I think the buttons for this remote are fine. The picture and sound quality are very good. The drive does not make a lot of noise; certainly not as loud as my computer's dvd drive. I don't hear it when I'm watching. The player has a low profile and fits easily where my old dvd player was. I'm very pleased with this. Panasonic DVD-S38 All Multi-Region PAL/NTSC Progressive Scan DVD Player

There are in fact TWO Panasonic DVD-S38 models listed on Amazon. There's this one described as a region free/NTSC/PAL machine and another one which is just described as being a progressive scan model. This model shows as "New" the other one doesn't. I think the seller who told the lady who couldn't play anything but region 1 that she had the wrong model was probably telling the truth.



I bought this primarily to play UK DVD's (I'm British) as so many great shows are either not available here in the US or have been censored. I ordered several UK PAL DVD's to try it out at the same time. The machine was extremely easy to set up and it played the UK PAL disks flawlessly through my NTSC TV. Picture quality was good and so was sound. And for the price this machine was a steal when I consider what it gives me access to.

I received this DVD player quite promptly and was excited to watch my european zone 2 DVDs. Unfortunately it kept giving me error messages and would only play regular zone one DVDs. Needless to say I sent it back and got a full refund! However I just received an email from the seller claiming that I must have received an "unmodified version" by accident and that they would send me a working unit free of charge.



I just received the new unit and it did play my zone 2 DVD's. So it does work as advertised. The seller did go above and beyond to make things right. It was excellent customer service!!!! Would do business with them again.

I don't know why all DVD players don't come this way! I purchased some DVD's from Australia that I could not watch on my conventional DVD player. My father had purchased a "region free" DVD player years ago on Amazon for $30 (and it still works!) so I decided to do the same.



I am electronically challenged but this was so easy to set up! And the price?!! Who can beat that?!! I'm thinking of purchasing another one for my other TV in the living room.

I purchased this player so I can watch British-region DVDs in California. The player works perfectly with British and US DVDs, and the remote control has a much greater range than the remote for my old DVD player. Also, unlike my old DVD player, the new player does not forget where you are on a DVD if it is left on pause for a long time, and remembers the place even if it goes into standby mode. The player is very compact in size. I definitely recommend it. The only possible downside is that the DVD tray seems a bit flimsy, but as long as it is handled carefully, I am sure it will not be a problem.

I just received my new Panasonic all-region DVD player from Amazon, and I'm quite pleased with it. I bought an all-region JVC player years ago, but someone broke into my home while I was out of town a few months and stole it and 15 movies. I own many movies from regions 2, 3, 5 and 6, and I haven't been able to play them for months. The firm from whom I bought my first all-region player no longer has them, but I decided at last to do a search for them and found that Amazon has them. The service was quick and efficient, so I am well-pleased with everything about my purchase. I postponed several plans yesterday afternoon and watched parts of three Japanese region 2 and four Hong Kong Region 3 movies in a marathon eight hour session. Amazon, I say to you, "Arigato gozaimas, xie xie, m'goisaai", etc.! That's, "Thank you very much", in Japanese, Mandarin and Cantonese.

I ordered this to play region 1 (US), region 3 (HK),and region 6 (China) DVD's. I was a little hesitant since some reviewers had had problems with some products not being able to play all regions, but when this product arrived, it and the box and all materials looked new; even the remote control batteries were still in their shrinkwrap. Interestingly, unlike some other products that came with non-US style power plugs, this had a two prong US style plug. In addition, the box had a return address of Panasonic North America, Santa Fe Creek, CA and all literature materials were US. Manufacture date was in October 2010. The DVD unit itself on the back was labeled region 1, which made me a little wary then. However, putting in region 1,3, and 6 DVD's I've had no problems. I was pretty surprised since the device cost less than sixty dollars! Of note, a brand new Panasonic S38 is running about forty dollars, so I guess the seller might be taking a new S38, modifying the region code system (which is perfectly within the law as i understand) and reselling for a twenty dollar profit. - 1080p - Hdmi - Multi-region Dvd Player - Dvd Player'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information