Tuesday 30 August 2011

Watches For Will - tag heuer, aquaracer


For the past few years my "everyday" watch was a Seiko chronograph. While there is nothing wrong with it, I decided I wanted something with a little more style. Initially, I bought a Seiko Coutura, but returned it disappointed. I decided to spend a little more, but since I'm not a watch collector, I think $1,000 was about as much as I wanted to spend for a utility watch (or a quartz), though $500 would have probably been more practical (I guess it depends on where one draws the line between utility and luxury).



I looked at Tissot, which was probably the best choice for its price, also Movado, Bulova, and a few others, but really liked the style of the Tag Aquaracer. I chose this model because it's simple yet stylish. A chronograph would have been okay too, but all the ones I looked at were just too large for my taste. While this model is average in size, it's not too large or heavy.



I trust that Amazon Direct sells authentic, non-refurbished watches, while offering a good warranty (not sure about the third party sellers), but I decided to purchase from a local authorized dealer. They gave me a discount, so I only ended up paying about $100 more, and I have the manufacturer's warranty. (Had they not given me the discount I would have had no problem buying from Amazon Direct)



I give this watch a 5 star overall, but for those interested in buying this watch, I'll point out a couple of things.



If you're farsighted or often in dimly lit areas, the watch can be a little hard to see. The dial and date are a little small, and the hands can blend into the background. I knew this before I bought it, but just mentioning it for those considering buying online. The same version of this watch with black or blue faces are much easier to read, but I really liked the look of the silver face (there is also a WAF1111 that is silver with different finish). I just think if Tag had put a black trim around the hands it would have been a little better design, but perhaps that would make it look tacky, who knows. That said, you should have absolutely no problem reading it in the office, outside, or pretty much 90% of the time, and I you're like me and don't want a huge watch, the trade-off may have to be a slightly smaller face.



The other issue is the value of Tag's brand recognition versus other "luxury" brands. I looked at the Tissot very closely, as well as Bulova and some others, and overall the quality seemed to be on par. Albeit, I'm not a watchmaker, and I did not look inside. However, quartz movements are pretty consistent (versus some of the more expensive mechanical watches), so candidly speaking, I think it's pretty obvious there is a fairly steep premium one pays for brand recognition when buying a Tag Heuer, though obviously this is subjective.



Nevertheless, without question this is a quality watch, and it looks great. Since I have only owned it for a few days, I cannot comment on its longevity, how it stands up to nicks and scratches, or its accuracy, but I'm pleased with my purchase and would recommend this watch to others.



----Update October 31, 2009----



Set to the U. S. Naval Observatory clock, the watch gained just 3 seconds in 4 months - about 9 seconds per year. TAG Heuer Men's WAF1112.BA0801 Silver Aquaracer Watch

This watch was a birthday present a year ago. I wanted to wait to write the review to see if I still felt the same way I did when it was new. I love this watch. Classic styling with great look and feel. The band was too large when I got it. I took it to the local jewler and he had no problem removing links, but DID say to hold on to each one as they were about $100 per link to replace if needed. I love the TAG. It dresses up or down as needed and fits in with any company. I'm a convert.

I have been a fan of high end watches for many years and I finally got one of my own... Well my wife green lighted the purchase for a Christmas present this year. First off, Amazon was excellent! They shipped the item very promptly and insisted on a signature for delivery. They will not just leave it on your doorstep for someone to take. That said when you open the shipping container you will know right away that you own a VERY prestigious timepiece. The Tag Heuer box is enormous relative to its contents. When you open the outer box you will find your Amazon watch warranty and a leather bound sleeve containing your owner information. And then the fun starts. The actual leather bound watch box is beatiful and when you open it up your timepiece is resting, wrapped around a pillow. I immediately took it to a Tag dealer to have 3 links removed and verify its authenticity. The dealer showed me that the watch did have all the correct markings and the serial number in tact and was 100% authentic. She said this reluctantly knowing the amount of money that I saved. 700 dollars plus 7% sales tax to be exact. I started to second guess myself about the quartz vs mechanical watch debate but I am happy with a quartz movement. Trust me for I have owned mechanical watches. It is great to know that your quartz Tag is not only a beautiful piece of jewelry, it also keeps very accurate time unlike even more expensive mechanical watches. Cost of upkeep will also be much less for maintenance on a mechanical watch will eventually eclipse the cost of original purchase over time. Thank you Amazon for providing authentic luxury watches for reasonable prices. Keep it up so I can expand my collection!!!!

This is a beautiful watch, like all TAG Heuers, that will last you a lifetime. My wife bought mine while we were in South Africa to replace a 15-year-old TAG chronograph, and paid more in a duty-free shop than Amazon charges. Great bargain here. The only downside to owning a TAG is that you will pay about $90 every 2 or 3 years to replace the battery and seals. Even so it's a 5-star watch! - Luxury - Classic Look - Tag Heuer - Aquaracer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information