Wednesday 31 August 2011

Kid Crafts - present, shrinky dinks


I saw these online when looking for Christmas presents for my 6 yo son. I remembered them from when I was a kid and they are just as much fun now as they were back then! We spent quality time together coloring them and watching them shrink in our toaster oven...only takes a minute or so. The holes that are already in them make them easy to create keychain decorations or "bracelets" with the pipe cleaners (included). Also, the addition of tiny magnets in with the kit are great for 'fridge decor. Will buy another set in a different design for his birthday! Alex Toys Shrinky Dinks Kit, Cool Stuff

These are just plain fun. The box comes with a ton of pieces to color and a set of pencils for coloring. There is no right or wrong way to color them, it is entirely up to the child (or adult if you can convince your kids to give you any :P).

Once they are colored, you just pop them in an oven and watch carefully. We use our toaster oven so we can keep a close eye on them through the window. The instructions clearly state to wait until they curl up and then lay flat again.



Take them out and viola - a fun little piece of art.



I think they are a doubly fun craft kit because kids get to color and design and then they get to see a little oven magic.



The pieces hold up but there are so many that if you break one or lose one, there are no tears.



A great way to pass the time on a rainy afternoon or cold winter day and fun for many ages (if I could only get my kids to share with me...) Maybe I'll have to buy my own box.

Fun for all ages - both me and my 11 y.o. had fun with this. For less than five dollars (Amazon sale price), this kit is an awesome value, as there are at least 20 different shapes included, as well as the colored pencils, pipe cleaners, and magnents. And unlike traditional shrinky dinks, these are pre-cut shapes (sooo helpful), and the holes for pipe cleaners and such are also pre-cut. We shrank them in the toaster oven, but you can also use a traditional oven. Would buy again for gift giving.

I actually purchased this for my 40 year-old son & his wife because it was a favorite item from their childhoods. If used by young ones, it certainly needs adult supervision. Cheap for the entertainment value and smiles.

Fun retro toy that was a great rainy day project. The six year old that I bought it for had a blast coloring them and then watching them shrink. A little bit brittle once baked, so not great for really little ones.

this was a great craft.. i really liked how you could make key chains or magnets with the shrinky dinks not just the shrinky dink it self.. i do admit i had more fun than the kids with it.. but my boys are young.. 3&5 - Shrinky Dinks - Present - Crafts - Toys'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information