Tuesday 30 August 2011

Replacement Spout - tub spout, faucet


I bought this tub spout as a last ditch effort before calling a plumber to repair a pipe since the previous tub spout(s) had a screw to secure the spout to the pipe which had created a groove in the pipe. This groove caused water to spray out of the back of another new tub spout when you pulled up the diverter rod to use the shower (the replacement tub spout used same screw setup).



I found some post on the Internet that praised this particular model so I gave it a try. The main points that made me purchase this item was that it had a "yoke" that clamps around the pipe instead of the screw going into the pipe to hold it in place. It also had a cup washer/cup seal in the diverter that prevents water from leaking out of the diverter when the shower is in use. This washer is replaceable.



This tub spout worked for me. No leaking problems. The tub spout is plastic with a chrome finish. I would rather have metal, but since it saved me

from calling a plumber to fix a job that should have been easy, I will not dock it a star. Moen 3931 Tub Diverter Spout, Chrome

After going through two different piece of crap tub spouts from Home Depot and Sears, I ordered this one based on the review above. Install could not have been simpler - slide it on, turn the screw. The other ones required sliding on a sleeve, then an o-ring, threading on another sleeve over the first one, pipe taping the end of that one, threading on the spout, unthreading to adjust the length, wash-rinse-repeat and they both STILL leaked. Considering the time I wasted going to 2 different stores and trying to get them to work, spending the extra $10 on this Moen is MORE than worth it.

This was purchased to replace the one I had destroyed by using the wrong cleaning products. It seemed easy enough to install, but there was always about 1/2" of pipe protruding from the wall to the spout. I ended up bracing the pipe on the other side of the wall after installing the new spout in order to keep the pipe from being visible. The spout is nothing special, but I do like the slip fit. - Tub Spout - Tub - Spout - Faucet'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information