Tuesday 30 August 2011

Handgun Storage Safe - pistol safe, safe


What comes in the box



4 AA Batteries

2 keys

Case



Construction



This is a solid and relatively, heavy case comprised of thick steel. The finish is a matte black. The keypad is plastic and takes a 4 to 8 number combination. A key cover houses the keyhole so it has a dual capability for access. A small handle allows you to lift the door open.



This unit is mountable, if you wish, and comes with the necessary hardware for that purpose (I chose not to mount this).



Use



Simply enter your code, turn the knob and lift the door. If you have 3 unauthorized codes this unit will lock you out.



This case is sturdy with 2 pins that keep any unwanted people from prying this open. It fits easily into a medium sized drawer. Setting the code is easy: Simply push the red button after you open this and push the desired code. One major bit of importance, if you need a spare key or the code, you need a copy of your receipt.



This fits 2 compact revolvers and a Compact Semiautomatic Pistol well. However, with storage, its depth does not allow for trigger locks to be installed on the firearms.



There is a foam pad that is removable; however, the sides are not padded.



Pros



Solid construction

Dual access

Mountable



Cons



Shallow

Plastic keyboard and front cover



Conclusion



This is an excellent case for your valuables or any other item that needs to be limited in access. Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock

As a customer who has a Stack-On wall locker, I was expecting the same type of sheet metal construction. However, this safe is the real deal. It is solid metal constuction with a beefy door. And two 3/4" locking pins. I have not mounted this yet, but be careful if mounting in an upright position. This was made to bolt into a drawer, so pay attention to how the door will open. Anyway, I had it out of the box and into operation in under two minutes. I was hesitant to get a battery operated safe, but with the back-up key feature, my mind was put at ease. The instructions could use pictures as I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to access the hidden keyhole. In short this is a great, sturdy safe that is perfect for keeping my CCW out of the reach of the kids while still being easily accesible to mommy and daddy. I liked it so much and thought it was a great price, I picked one up for my dad who recently purchased his first gun and worries because he has 13 grandkids running around the house at any given time.

I really like this safe, its very SOLID and looks great, it fits my full size Beretta 92D with extra mag and space to spare, it sits right next to my bed, has the option to turn off the beeps so its very silen, keeps my kids away from my gun, the only negative thing i have to say about it is it does not have any lighting, the number on the keypad does not light up, i have it sitting in a drawer and installed lighting in the drawer so when i open the drawer the light turns on, but that really is the only negative thing i have to say about it, definately worth the money, small price to pay for peace of mind

I purchased this safe to have someplace secure to store my firearms that is not accessible to children. It's well built and sturdy, and it easily is installed in a drawer using the provided hardware. The one big negative for me, and something another reviewer pointed out, is that the keypad on the safe is not backlit. This isn't good if you are using the safe to store firearms and need to quickly access your gun in a dark room. I keep a flashlight in the drawer next to the safe and use this to light up the keypad, as anytime I'm going to take a gun out at night I'm probably going to take a flashlight with me too. Still, it would be nice to have that functionality even though it would negatively affect battery life.



The safe works well for what I purchased it for, however I wouldn't choose this particular safe if it's security that you're looking for. Even if it's bolted to a drawer, a thief can simply walk away with the entire drawer. Also, the key lock doesn't appear to be reinforced in any way, so it can easily be drilled out and the safe opened. So it's good to keep guns and other items out of the hands of kids, but bad if you're trying to prevent theft.

Great drawer for the price, and Amazon price beats traditional brick and mortar stores and other online retailers.



Takes some time to drill and mount, but once it's done, you're all set.



Turn off the beeps for quiet opening at night.



Fits one pistol.

I was looking at small safes to place in strategic home locations with a firearm inaccessible by small children. I ran across the Stack-On PDS-500 and thought for under $50 I would try it out. I am very impressed with the design and quality. It is a pretty rugged little safe. I have seen some comments about not having a lit keypad, but that is easily overcome with a geometric code pattern. I have tested opening in the dark and with eyes closed with no problems. It is a very solid safe and well worth the price.

Take a minute to measure now, instead of a week to return / replace later. Having spent the past weekend looking at new bedroom furniture I realized there are plenty of nightstand drawers this may not fit within IDEALLY. Due to the depth and height you run the risk of not being able to open the safe door fully once it's in a nightstand drawer. It works fine in mine, another 3/4 of an inch shorter front to back & I would have problems getting my big ugly hand & gun back out of the safe fully and be left trying to pea peck it in a hurry. It's excellent value for the money. I've seen too many mixed reviews about the biometric versions to shell out $200+ for a neat looking (POTENTIAL)paperweight in a time of need.

Due to this safes' construction mounting it within the drawer or above a closet shelf is ideal. Good weight & feel to it. Routinely access 3-4/day. Enough storage room snugly for two unholstered semi of most variety. From the safes out there under $65 this seems to have the most reliability, options, sturdiness. Will this thwart an armed burglar looking for your custom Kimber that carries it's own rider on your insurance for $5k? No, with a prybar and not some small effort the whole safe can be removed from the premises. Cable locking to a endtable/dresser would be better. Construction of a rigid housing within your floorboards to recess between joists with small area rugs cover would be better. Will this prevent kids friends from gaining access to your guns without your approval, yes.. mount it.. use the code.. store the key away from it.. and never get in the practice of letting them see you open it.. defeats the purpose. Will buy another for wife's gear. - Safe - Pistol Safe - Gun Locker - Pistol'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information