Friday 29 April 2011

Baby Proofing


I have used this on my pantry and bathroom doors. I chose the Door Monkey because I have lever handles and like that it does not require any hardware or 'sticky' parts in order to work. I believe I have very standard door frames and molding.

Pros:

1. Ease of attachment/removal - no screws or sticky bits. It takes two seconds to attach once you realize how simple it is.

2. Ease of use - Can be used from both sides of the door without removing it. Push the button or move the latch depending on which side of the door you are on.

3. Pinch guard - My 18 month old hasn't been hurt after a few weeks of use.

4. Effectiveness - He knows what is in the pantry. He wants it. He tries to open the door every so often by pulling the lever handle but it doesn't budge. I can keep the Door Monkey out of reach for many more years.

5. Portability - I haven't yet taken it over to the grandparents house but it would be very easy to do so.



Cons:

1. Door remains open 1/4-3/4 inches. This isn't convenient for my guest bathroom since the Door Monkey has to be removed to fully close the door.

2. Visible - It is very obvious, even against a white door/door frame. This doesn't bother me - A lever door handle cover/child lock is very obvious. White flour and uncooked spaghetti all over the floor is also very obvious.



The Door Monkey is a great child lock for many of my internal doors. Door Monkey, Childproof Door Lock & Pinch Guard

I haven't had this long, but I'm very impressed with it so far. A lot has already been written about this product, so I'll focus on some points that haven't really been said...



YES, THE PRICE SEEMS HIGH

It's true that the cost is higher than what you would expect. I was at first hesitant ordering it for that reason. But nothing else was working so I decided to give it a try. I'm actually ok with the cost now. Not only is it a good product, but if you go to the Door Monkey website you'll find that a dad invented this product to solve a problem he was having. It's just a little mom and pop company. I'm sure that they've had to invest a lot of personal money into this, take risks, and don't get the manufacturing deals that big companies do. It's nice to support the little guy. Besides, it's a lot cheaper to buy one thing that works rather than a bunch of junk that doesn't.



LOTS OF OTHER SOLUTIONS DON'T WORK FOR EVERYONE

First we tried the knob cover. My daughter figured out how to open it in a day and the next day she busted the cover right off the knob. My huband decided to get smart and take the knob off one day and guess who ended up getting locked in....ME! This product actually works, is very secure, and an adult or older child can open the door from both sides. No lock-ins.



YES, THE DOOR STAYS CRACKED OPEN

There is a good sized gap when you use this. I'd prefer it to not be there, but it's really no big deal for me. It's on my daughter's bedroom. She still slept fine with the door cracked. If you use it on a bathroom it takes two seconds to remove and put back. You have to think about how it works though. It basically clamps to the door and an arm grabs onto the doorframe when you close it. Because it clamps, that clamp keeps the door slightly ajar. If you had another kind of lock you'd probably have to tape or drill into your door or frame. This product doesn't leave any damage and you can move it around to different doors or take it to grandma's house for the weekend. This design also allows you to open it from both sides. You don't want to do something stupid and get locked in like I did. For the benefits of the design, I'll deal with the crack.



UNIQUE

I don't know of another device like this...opens from both sides, portable, works on most doors, and my child can't get through it. I'll update my review if she finds a way, but I don't think that will happen.



GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE

I did email the company with a few questions. They were very nice, helpful, and quick to respond. If you have a funky door you might want to contact them or at least read more info on their website before ordering. They have solutions for funky doors, which I didn't look into because my doors are the standard kind.



WATCH THIS VIDEO

One last thing....there's a video on youtube that demonstrates how the product works. It wasn't put up by the owners, it's just something a consumer did. The video is titled "Door Monkey" and was posted by justnik78. Watch it and you'll know exactly what you're getting.

I purchased this item to keep my 2 and a half year old son and his 18 month old brother from entering into our bathrooms. They are wonderful. You can put them up high enough that the little ones can't reach them and they are very easy to use. They don't look very sturdy but they are very strong. They are totally adjustable and they require no tools. You just slide it on the door so the catch hits your door frame and you are done. You can open it from either side and it even prevents little fingers from being pinched because it keeps the door open about a half inch. I would recommend it for any door little ones might get caught in. Easy for adults and older kids to use. I love this product. It actually works the way it is supposed to and is very inexpensive. That is hard to find.

I purchased two of these for the doors of our twins once they started climbing out of their beds. They're a very simple, light-weight plastic "gadget", but they work great! I can do work in the yard now without worrying that they are making an escape. I wonder if you had a strong, determined child if they may not be able to pull hard enough to overcome it, but so far, I haven't seen my boys come even close!

This is an excellent product. My nieces and nephews come over on occasion. I can easily slip the lock on a door and not worry about whatever I put in that room. It can be moved to/from any door, requires no mounting equipment, and allows air to circulate. Great investment.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information